Default Temporary Vehicle Import

Hi. I'm planning to spend up to 6 months, as a tourist, in Namibia later this year. I would like to know how long my S.A. registered vehicle can stay in the country?

Default Re: Temporary Vehicle Import

As a tourist, you are only allowed 90 days per year in Namibia.

You can get a road permit at the border for the same period.

To extend you stay will be difficult.

Yes. You can be here for 90 days per year only.

Thanks. Well yes, 90 days is the norm but you can get another 90 day extension; I've done it before. It involves queueing for half a day at immigration, but doable. I rented a Namibia plate last time but that is too expensive, I have a car share in JoBurg and can leave it there after my trips. So it's back to the original question of how long can a car stay in Namibia, (with a foreign tourist)?

It does lead me to a logical conclusion though, and that's just buy a Namibian car. Any tips on where to buy a cheap 4x4 bakkie and where to store it? Single cab would do fine, rough appearance but with sound drive train is okay too........somewhere to sleep without kitting up so much.

Twyfelfontein Conservancy, Damaraland, Namibia

You will get a CBC permit when you enter and is valid for 3 months. You just buy another one after 3 months in Windhoek when you extend your tourist Visa.
    Zane
    --------------------------------
    Gen 3 Pajero 3.8 V6 GLS SWB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to deltazane For This Useful Post:

Twyfelfontein Conservancy, Damaraland, Namibia

Lots of dodgy roadside car dealers in Nam (windhoek)otherwise the usual legit car dealerships. I think registering the vehicle in your name might be the challenging bit. I personally would stick with extending the CBC once/if you get the extra 90days visa.
    Zane
    --------------------------------
    Gen 3 Pajero 3.8 V6 GLS SWB

Quote Originally Posted by touchthewild View Post
    Thanks. Well yes, 90 days is the norm but you can get another 90 day extension; I've done it before. It involves queueing for half a day at immigration, but doable. I rented a Namibia plate last time but that is too expensive, I have a car share in JoBurg and can leave it there after my trips. So it's back to the original question of how long can a car stay in Namibia, (with a foreign tourist)?

It does lead me to a logical conclusion though, and that's just buy a Namibian car. Any tips on where to buy a cheap 4x4 bakkie and where to store it? Single cab would do fine, rough appearance but with sound drive train is okay too........somewhere to sleep without kitting up so much.
    Good luck with that. These days you just get a week.

we fly in and collect our vehicle in Windhoek and immigration asked lots of questions once as our return flight was dated 4 months later. Eventually we managed to get the message across that we would be going to S Africa and returning later.

Maybe a couple of days in Bots and return to Nam could work?

We registered our landy in our name with no problems but you would need a Nam address at least for the road tax to be sent to and someone to pay it in your absence.

Living in Spain, dreaming of Africa
    Overland U.K. to Cape Town 2011/12
    Nam/Bots/S.Africa Sep/Dec 2013
    S.Africa feb 2015
    Namibia Sep/Oct 2015
    Defender TD5 csw 2006
    Defender 300tdi csw 1994

Quote Originally Posted by deltazane View Post
    You will get a CBC permit when you enter and is valid for 3 months. You just buy another one after 3 months in Windhoek when you extend your tourist Visa.
    Thanks Zane. Useful and helpful information. I'll plan a six month trip but with only 90 days in Namibia. I'll look into the details when I'm there for future trips.

Phil

11. The Following User Says Thank You to touchthewild For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=Vengavamos;3509470]we fly in and collect our vehicle in Windhoek and immigration asked lots of questions once as our return flight was dated 4 months later. Eventually we managed to get the message across that we would be going to S Africa and returning later.

Thank you Vengavamos. I take it that even by going outside Namibia for a few days could lengthen your overall trip but you would still be limited to 90 days unless granted an extended stay by immigration. I can use a Namibian address so will look at purchasing something in Windhoek and registering. I spoke to a couple of 'legit' dealers and they seemed confidant that the registration process was simple enough.......apart from the queues at the registration office. To be safe, I will come in on a 90 day ticket and check it all out when I'm there.

Thanks MSPRADO and Pierre. Difficult but maybe not impossible. I've been travelling Namibia 20 years now.....beginning to understand the meaning of 'just now'.

Phil

14. The Following User Says Thank You to touchthewild For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by touchthewild View Post
    Thanks MSPRADO and Pierre. Difficult but maybe not impossible. I've been travelling Namibia 20 years now.....beginning to understand the meaning of 'just now'.

Phil
    There are no more ques at foreign affairs. Its pick a ticket, and your number gets called.

When we went to the registration office we struck lucky as there was no queue! In fact the nice lady behind the counter even photocopied our passport for us as we forgot to bring a copy. Mind you there was a big queue for vehicle inspections on the day.

Living in Spain, dreaming of Africa
    Overland U.K. to Cape Town 2011/12
    Nam/Bots/S.Africa Sep/Dec 2013
    S.Africa feb 2015
    Namibia Sep/Oct 2015
    Defender TD5 csw 2006
    Defender 300tdi csw 1994

Hi,

We are planning up to a 6 month trip to Namibia at end of the year. Maybe someone has the answers to these questions:

- 3 month visa per calendar year?
    So we could enter 1st Oct, depart 31 Dec (cross border to Bots etc), re-enter again the next day 1st Jan and finally depart 31 March? No questions asked?

- SA registered vehicle?
    3 month entry at a time as per above? No problem? What are the costs?

- Suggestions for trip from South to North - seeing the highlights - but not backtracking?
    Exiting via Caprivi Strip around Katimo into Zambia/Bots.
    Go up the middle via Fish River, off to the west coast a couple of times to see Luderitz and Walvis, Windhoek, Etosha, Capri Strip. Any favourite "not-to-miss" spots?

Thanks!
    ---
    Dale
    WhatsApp: +64-21832765 (Currently in New Zealand)

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara V6 2.7
    2006 Toyota Hilux DC V6 4.0
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder V6 4.0