T4A User Questions

Default T4A User Questions

Hi,

I am borrowing my dad's Nuvi 760 with Track 4 Africa version 6.

I have the following issues/questions when viewing the T4A maps on the Nuvi:

1) The most of the points of interest (such as campsites, etc) are only visible if I zoom in completely. So when zoomed out a bit, it looks like there is nothing. Also, the icons for the POI are very very small - can one make them bigger?

2) Is it possible to search for places on the T4A maps? I tried searching all different ways (POI, addresses, etc) but get no results.

I'm not sure if any settings are wrong - can anyone help? Or is this how it is? I have selected only T4A maps under "maps", and detail is "most".

Thanks,
    Cheers
    Greg
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.2 DiD GLS (sold)
    2008 Mitsubishi Pajero LWB 3.2 DiDc GLS

Hi Greg,

I have found it the easiest to load the T4A maps onto my PC, then planning my route on there. The search, etc. works OK there.

Then after I've set up my route, I load it onto my Garmin.

I hope this helps.

Yes, the T4A maps are great on the PC.

I just thought I was doing something wrong on the Garmin, as unless you are completely zoomed in, I can't see the POIs, which is pretty crazy.

The setup really doesn't use the full capabilities of the screen well.

Greg, firstly version 6 of the T4A maps is pretty ancient, the amount of changes since 2006 is huge, never mind that most of the maps are now routable.

Secondly, the Nuvi do now show POI, it is one of their shortcomings. It is impractical to zoom in to 20m to see them, so it is not really the right GPS to use for offroad/overland travel.

And yes you can search on the Nuvi, but make sure that only the T4A map is active, and watch out for spelling.

Ciao
    Renzo

Hi Renzo,

Thanks very much.

Most of the detail in Namibia that I am looking for seems to be there on T4A Version 6. I might upgrade just Namibia before I go away - being routable will be nice!

Are all the campsites, petrol stations, etc on T4A POIs? If the Nuvi doesn't show them, it is pretty lame

I haven't used the GPS on the road yet, so I'll have to look in some more detail with regards to the T4A POI vs the Garmin Street Map POI. Does the Nuvi show the Garmin Street Map POIs? Or not.

Regards,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by renzo View Post
    Secondly, the Nuvi do now show POI, it is one of their shortcomings. It is impractical to zoom in to 20m to see them, so it is not really the right GPS to use for offroad/overland travel.

Ciao
    Renzo

Should the now be not , sorry to be pedantic but it is confusing.
    2010 3l D4D Hilux Raider DC, Burnco front bumper, Cooper STT's, Ironman Shocks and Coils, Stofpad Rocksliders and LCSP's
    <O></O>
    ORRA D04

ZS1ASH

Next time I will read what I write before I hit the send button. It should have read "The Nuvi do NOT show POI" = sorry for the confusion.
    Not showing POI affects all the maps, not just T4A. Not showing them is a bugger, but you can still search them. Not ideal, but it works.

Ciao
    Renzo

I played with the Nuvi a bit yesterday, and I'm really disappointed with all the detail that is lost by not showing POIs. Sure, if you plan your routes in advance on Map Source, it will work, but if you are in an area for the day, you won't easily spot POIs while driving around?

I haven't been able to successfully find anything via a search. I with the Nuvi just had a simple search for everything - when I do a POI search, I never get anything... not sure why

I used the Nuvi 760 again today - I just took a drive, and looked at the map (I didn't navigate).

The map does not "auto-zoom" in and out based on speed - is this normal? I can find any settings to change this. Does it only "auto-zoom" when you are navigating to a location?

Thanks,
    Greg

Default Re: T4A User Questions

This seems like quite an old thread but I'll try it anyway: T4A shows a little flag about 5mm square with a 4 on it, whenever I get near to any 'point of interest'. Problem is when there are many points in the vicinity, like in a city, the screen gets covered with these flags to the extent that the map becomes unreadable. Contacted T4A but they seem unable to help; just saying they will come back to me. I don't recall having always had this problem, it seems to be only recently. could this be Garmin's software perhaps?
    Anybody else had this problem & how can it be fixed - please?

Quote Originally Posted by Alto View Post
    This seems like quite an old thread but I'll try it anyway: T4A shows a little flag about 5mm square with a 4 on it, whenever I get near to any 'point of interest'. Problem is when there are many points in the vicinity, like in a city, the screen gets covered with these flags to the extent that the map becomes unreadable. Contacted T4A but they seem unable to help; just saying they will come back to me. I don't recall having always had this problem, it seems to be only recently. could this be Garmin's software perhaps?
    Anybody else had this problem & how can it be fixed - please?
    Is that on the Garmin Streetmaps or on T4A? I know that the Streetmaps included the T4A points of interest from a couple of versions back. If you would like to remove them you have to delete some files on the unit. If so I can look for the instructions Garmin sent me.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniek View Post
    Is that on the Garmin Streetmaps or on T4A? I know that the Streetmaps included the T4A points of interest from a couple of versions back. If you would like to remove them you have to delete some files on the unit. If so I can look for the instructions Garmin sent me.
    It's on T4A: 'Traveller's Africa: 180504' Was told by T4A to re-load the Streetmaps, so they also thought it was on Streetmaps; now they are not coming back to me.
    Just checked; it actually shows up on both Streetmaps and Traveller's Africa - so it could be the Garmin software.
    Last edited by Alto; 2019/12/04 at 04:14 PM. Reason: added info