Ford & Mazda What is Remote Free Wheel (RFW)??

Question What is Remote Free Wheel (RFW)??

Good day everyone!

I recently purchased a Mazda Drifter 2.5 Diesel and I would just like to know if someone could explain to me what the RFW does? I have read up about it on the internet a bit, but I am still a bit confused. To my understanding, whilst you are driving in 2H and you want to change to 4H then you can first put on RWP and then you may change the lever from 2H to 4H whilst driving. Am I correct saying this or do I have a wrong understanding here?

And what do they mean when they refer to hubs?

Sorry, my knowledge is a bit weak about this.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: What is Remote Free Wheel (RFW)??

In the older 4x4's one had to manually locks the hubs on the front wheels in order to engage 4 wheel drive. Once the hubs are locked, you can move between 2H and 4H and it will engage and disengage 4 wheel drive depending on your selection. Once you are done on the unpaved roads/offroad you will manually unlock the front hubs to allow them to rotate freely.

On newer models the locking and unlocking of the hubs on the front wheels happens automatically between selecting 2H or 4H/4L

On your model, the hubs lock automatically as soon as you engage 4H/4L. They will then remain locked, even if you shift back to 2H. Once you are done on the unpaved roads/offroad you must press the RFW button to unlock the front hubs.

In simple terms, the front hubs allows the front wheels to run freely (unlocked) or be connected to the gearbox/transfer case (locked). In other words, if they are not locked you will only have 4x2 even when you selected 4H/4L.
    Last edited by Daniek; 2017/03/15 at 11:23 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Daniek View Post
    In the older 4x4's one had to manually locks the hubs on the front wheels in order to engage 4 wheel drive. Once the hubs are locked, you can move between 2H and 4H and it will engage and disengage 4 wheel drive depending on your selection. Once you are done on the unpaved roads/offroad you will manually unlock the front hubs to allow them to rotate freely.

On newer models the locking and unlocking of the hubs on the front wheels happens automatically between selecting 2H or 4H/4L

On your model, the hubs lock automatically as soon as you engage 4H/4L. They will then remain locked, even if you shift back to 2H. Once you are done on the unpaved roads/offroad you must press the RFW button to unlock the front hubs.

In simple terms, the front hubs allows the front wheels to run freely (unlocked) or be connected to the gearbox/transfer case (locked). In other words, if they are not locked you will only have 4x2 even when you selected 4H/4L.
    Thanks Daniek! Much better understanding!

Just note that you have to be stopped to engage 4x4 the first time. Once the RFW light is on you can move between 2H and 4H without stopping. RFW stands for Release Front Wheels

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Brent Clark For This Useful Post:

Modern cruisers still require you to get out and lock the hubs.

Gotta love Toyota's ultimate offroader.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    Modern cruisers still require you to get out and lock the hubs.

Gotta love Toyota's ultimate offroader.
    No they do not. Auto mode vs lock mode...hello

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Clark View Post
    No they do not. Auto mode vs lock mode...hello
    Auto is known to strip easily.

That is a different point

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Clark View Post
    Just note that you have to be stopped to engage 4x4 the first time. Once the RFW light is on you can move between 2H and 4H without stopping. RFW stands for Release Front Wheels
    Thanks - that's very helpful. You answered something I was really uncertain about, so thanks!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 27 - Kieries For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 27 - Kieries View Post
    Thanks - that's very helpful. You answered something I was really uncertain about, so thanks!
    RFW: Remote Free Wheel
    RFW button only used to unlock front hubs, after 4H or 4L select lever moved to 2H. Front hubs lock automatically when you select 4H or 4L. (technically the RFW does not unlock the hubs from half shafts; the left half shaft is unlocked from the front diff; right shaft always turn in diff but no power transfered to front driveshaft)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bush Ranger For This Useful Post: