Replacement Carb for Nissan 1400

Default Replacement Carb for Nissan 1400

Hi Gents

I have an old Nissan 1400 motor in my Suzuki SJ410 Jeep. I need to replace the original carb...please may I have some suggestions as to what the best replacement is ? I'm happy to change the Inlet Manifold if required.

Thanks John.

I am also looking for a carb! My zook is heavy! even considering getting rid mine, my Frontier kb280 is more economical than my suzuki sj410!

Fit a VW Citi Golf carb.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Fit a VW Citi Golf carb.

Thanks, when I had my hilux which very heavy on fuel the 22r, somebody also told to do that! but that was only for the 2y models! I will go for the vw citi golf 1300 carb, has anyone else had a successful conversion? So the nissan motor will then be more economical then? Will need to make a adapter plate also to fit?

Thanks
    Casper

The citi golf carb wil be the cheapest route to go but then you wil most probably have make a adaptor plate. A few years back a fitted a 32 webber to a nissan 1400 and the place that sold me the carb sold me the adaptor as well. the only thing that took a bit of modifying was the accelerator cable. the rest was bolt on basically. (personally i have found the webber carb to be more reliable and longer lasting )

I bought a new one (non official nissan carb, but looks exactly the same) from midas for R650. been using it for a year, works fantastic!
    Fiat Fullback LX 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Tr0jan View Post
    I bought a new one (non official nissan carb, but looks exactly the same) from midas for R650. been using it for a year, works fantastic!
    What about fuel consumption? did it improve? It does save you the adapter plate conversion!! Good Idea!
    Last edited by casperventer; 2012/08/23 at 07:47 PM. Reason: forgot something

Quote Originally Posted by casperventer View Post
    What about fuel consumption? did it improve? It does save you the adapter plate conversion!! Good Idea!

Honestly I cannot say. Its a farm bakkie. It idles perfectly, and pulls like a train again.

When I say it looks identical to the nissan carb, I mean only pro's would be able to tell the difference.
    Fiat Fullback LX 4x4

My sj410 with nissan motor also pulls like a train! it is just VERY HEAVY ON FUEL! I was told the round glass on carb must be less than half, but mine is full, hence very heavy, I wish I knew how to fix that myself, I am guessing that it is the float level? Where can I get a manual for this carb?

I was going to service the Aisin Carb, but all off sudden the glass shows half full? where it usually shows full? I moved from Oudtshoorn to Mossel bay! Could that make a difference?
    I bought the Suzuki in PE, where the previous owner told me that he gets 10km/l, when I tested it in Oudtshoorn the fuel consumtion was very heavy 5-7km/l?

What is Oudtshoorn's elevation? A carburetor needs to be adjusted for elevation. Looks like yours was adjusted for the coast, at higher elevations it would run rich.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Default Re: Replacement Carb for Nissan 1400

Quote Originally Posted by casperventer View Post
    I was going to service the Aisin Carb, but all off sudden the glass shows half full? where it usually shows full? I moved from Oudtshoorn to Mossel bay! Could that make a difference?
    I bought the Suzuki in PE, where the previous owner told me that he gets 10km/l, when I tested it in Oudtshoorn the fuel consumtion was very heavy 5-7km/l?
    I have the same Nissan 1400 conversion on my SJ and fuel consumption was my top concern. To improve you need to tackle it from all sides, run the correct tyres, tune timing down, make sure exhaust manifold fits engine properly and has no leaks - the airflow through the engine is pure. then turn your attention to the carb, make sure it isn't leaking air (mine was) and check its tuned right. I fixed all these and a bunch of others and got my consumption down from 7km/l to between 10-12km/l

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rudesuzi For This Useful Post:

We fitted a set of SU copies from the Stanza to my mate's 1400 in the late 80s............consumption went thru the roof at the same speed that we wasted a set of back tyres.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

As jy 'n weber 36DCD kan kry kan jy hom probeer. Ek het jare teruk dit op my 1400 gedoenen was tevrede. Hy klink ook baie mooi.

Post Re: Replacement Carb for Nissan 1400

I realise this is an old thread but perhaps someone out there could benefit from my experience. I am in the process of doing a golf carburettor conversion on my old (1980) Datsun 1400. I have successfully manufactured an aluminium adapter plate, but I'm still not 100% on the vacuum tubes. There are a whole bunch more on the Golf carb than the Hitachi carb
    If anyone could offer me some guidance I would dearly appreciate it.

I would like to share my adapter plate schematic with everyone here. It is accurate and can be reproduced without adjustment. Enjoy.
    I had to make a small adjustment to the adapter plate. The countersunk holes were on the wrong side. They are fixed now. Adapter Plate Drawing v1.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DurcB; 2018/08/12 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Updated Schematics

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DurcB For This Useful Post:

This is what a valuable new member looks like. His first post is to share schematics.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post: