Botswana Malaria outbreak notice - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Botswana Malaria outbreak notice

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    it did not kill 2 000 worshippers in the church in Limpopo either ..... and they ate the stuff
    Case in point.

I will rather have a slight poison headache in the morning than malaria
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by James MacKay View Post
    MALARIA OUTBREAK AWARENESS
    The public is notified that the country is experiencing a high level of Malaria transmission following the recent heavy rains.
    There has been an increase in the number of cases of malaria cases in malaria prone areas namely; Okavango, Ngami, Chobe, Boteti, Tutume and Bobirwa.
    Cases of the disease have also been reported in areas that do not usually have malaria. These include North East, Serowe, Palapye, Mahalapye, Kgatleng, Kweneng, Kgalagadi South and Gantsi.
    Malaria is a serious disease transmitted by mosquitoes and can cause death if not treated quickly. Therefore, it is important to recognize malaria signs as early as possible. These include fever, severe headache, chills, sweating, abdominal pains, nausea, vomiting and confusion.
    The public is advised to take the following malaria preventative measures:
    - Reduce mosquito breeding sites by clearing up bushes, draining stagnant water and disposing of objects that are likely to collect water such as tins and old tyres.
    - Avoid being bitten by mosquitoes by using insecticide treated nets, mosquito repellents and wear clothes that fully cover the body including the back, arms and legs.
    - Seek medical advice two weeks before travelling to malaria prone countries.
    - Visit the nearest health facility as soon as you experience any of the Malaria signs and symptoms and take medication as prescribed by a health worker.
    - In Malaria endemic areas the public is advised to always sleep under Insecticide treated mosquito nets.
    The ministry will continue to monitor the situation and all public health facilities are on high alert to provide the necessary health service for the management of suspected malaria cases.
    Please note that Malaria is preventable and curable.
    For more information please call our toll free number 0800 600 740.
    Thank you for this important information. When they say Kgalagadi South where do they mean? We will be travelling to the Mabua area as well as Nossob to Kaa and Swartpan and then polentswa and mata mata etc. We have never taken prophylaxis before in Kgalagadi so really don't want to if we don't need to. Took last in December 2016......

Quote Originally Posted by rossmacg View Post
    Thank you for this important information. When they say Kgalagadi South where do they mean? We will be travelling to the Mabua area as well as Nossob to Kaa and Swartpan and then polentswa and mata mata etc. We have never taken prophylaxis before in Kgalagadi so really don't want to if we don't need to. Took last in December 2016......
    Mabua IS in Kgalagadi South District. Strictly speaking, the whole Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park falls within a malarial area, although cases are very isolated (I seem to remember that John Kirkpatrick's grandfather, who was a warden there, died of malaria).
    From the Botswana-Info website:
    Kgalagadi South is made up of the following villages:
    Bogogobo, Bokspits, Bray, Gachibana, Khisa, Khuis, Khwawa, Kokotsha, Kolonkwane, Makopong, Maleshe, Maralaleng, Maubelo,Middlepits, Omaweneno, Phepheng (Draaihoek), Rapples Pan, Struizendam, Tshabong, Vaalhoek, Werda
    Kgalagadi North is made up of the following villages:
    Hukuntsi, Hunhukwe, Inalegolo, Kang, Lehututu, Lokgwabe, Make, Monong, Ncaang, Ngwatle, Phuduhudu, Tshane, Ukwi, Zutswa
    The administrative center of the district is Tshabong.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2017/03/18 at 02:10 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

I found John's post from several years ago re his grandfather:

"My grandfather, the first warden in the Kalahari Gemsbok Park , and his assistant, contracted malaria near Twee Rivieren in 1934 and both died from it. My mother who was four years old survived. I guess the moral of the story is rather be safe than sorry."

Edit: and I found this on the SANParks website: "Johannes le Riche (the son of a local trader Christoffel Francois Albertyn Le Riche), the first warden of the Park (and his family), settled at Gemsbok Plain (later referred to as Gemsbok plein) in a house which had been abandoned by a borehole guard. From this point, onwards Le Riche and his assistant Gert Januarie became involved in the protection of wildlife in the area. For three years, they patrolled the Park on horseback. In 1934, the park experienced an exceptional rainy season and both the Nossob and Auob came down in flood. This was followed by an epidemic of malaria and both Le Riche and Januarie died of this illness. A few days later after their death Le Riche's brother Joep was appointed ranger in his place."
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2017/03/18 at 03:51 PM.
    Tony Weaver

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Thank you for the information. I keep hearing about all the rain but still haven't seen recent photos of Kgalagadi at all. Please can anyone send if they have. So if it was you, would you take melanil?

Quote Originally Posted by rossmacg View Post
    Thank you for the information. I keep hearing about all the rain but still haven't seen recent photos of Kgalagadi at all. Please can anyone send if they have. So if it was you, would you take melanil?
    Yes I would (well, I'd take Lariam as that's what I always take). Don't forget there have been four malaria deaths in Pretoria, Northam and Swartruggens, and although those were probably travelling mozzies, this year is out of whack all over with regard to malaria.
    Tony Weaver

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Thank you very much for the useful information

Which medication would be best to use and not too pricy? I had some serious "side effects" with Mefliam...

A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.<O</O

Mozitec is the generic of Malanil and not too expensive. My medical aid pays for it.

If you want to go really cheap you may use Doxitabs (Doxycyclin) but you have to take it for a month after leaving the area.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JCARS For This Useful Post:

Thanks for this important post. The big rains certainly made all the difference. This looks serious.

Wrangler Sahara 3.8
    Ex: 2004 Grand Cherokee 4.7
    Ex: 2001 Cherokee XJ 4.0
    Ex: 1997 Cherokee XJ 4.0

Thanks JCARS!

A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.<O</O

Can anyone tell me what the malaria threat is in the CKGR? I leave for there on 22nd of this month.

See Stan Weakley's post #2 on page one.
    One must wait till evening to see how splendid the day has been

Quote Originally Posted by NATURESGUY View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the malaria threat is in the CKGR? I leave for there on 22nd of this month.
    CKGR falls within the listed danger zones, so the authorities in Botswana believe the threat there is real.
    Tony Weaver

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Hi All

We will be entering Botswana on Monday and will be venturing from the south to the north back around and back to JHB.

We have visited our local travel clinic and received or Malaria Meds (Malanil). Just a quick question...

Based on the map above and the media release....I am uncertain as to when to start taking the Meds. The guidelines were 1 the day before entering a malaria and then for the duration of the trip but then also 7 days when returning.

Any advice appreciated

Last edited by spongebobsa; 2017/04/12 at 01:49 AM.

Thumbs up Re: Botswana Malaria outbreak notice

You went to your local travel agency and got the tablets (as per prescription I assume), the guidelines say 1 a day before and then continue for 7 days after your return. There's your answer.

By the way what did the travel clinic tell you about the medicine? (when to take, contra-indications, etc.) Did they say anything about cheaper alternative generic meds? Malanil is expensive the generic is Mozitec 40% cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by spongebobsa View Post
    Hi All

We will be entering Botswana on Monday and will be venturing from the south to the north back around and back to JHB.

We have visited our local travel clinic and received or Malaria Meds (Malanil). Just a quick question...

Based on the map above and the media release....I am uncertain as to when to start taking the Meds. The guidelines were 1 the day before entering a malaria and then for the duration of the trip but then also 7 days when returning.

Any advice appreciated

Take the prophylactics a full day before (24 hours before) entering the Red Zone (High risk area) as per your attached map. Thereafter take your subsequent tablets at approximately the same time of day, as close to that original time as reasonable.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Take the prophylactics a full day before (24 hours before) entering the Red Zone (High risk area) as per your attached map. Thereafter take your subsequent tablets at approximately the same time of day, as close to that original time as reasonable.

As with the current outbreak the RED ZONE has moved considerably to the South.
    We must now assume even the Gabs to Mahalapye area being in the high risk zone.
    Same goes in the West, Kgalagadi and Ghanzi are considered high risk at the moment
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Quote Originally Posted by JP43 View Post
    just get some Quinine tablets and drink alot of tonic water, if you get a fever after the trip be sure to tell your doctor to give you a malaria test.
    I lived in the DRC for 5 years, malaria ain't so bad.. unless it's chronic malaria which is extremely unlikely
    That's real dumb advice
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

I would suggest Gin and Tonic - especially with a double tot of Gin.

However I can assure you in no uncertain terms than anything more than a regulation single tot of Gin causes me the most severe headache - so quite honestly just not worth it.

Just take the precautionary meds - the Malaria is way way worse than any side effects from the pills for sure.
    There is no guarantee you won't get Malaria but you would be on the right side of it before proper treatment commences back home

Over the many years of travel in these areas:

We have always taken the precautionary meds
    We have never (yet) contracted malaria

The side effects are minimal (Some may experience some MILD hallucinations - think "lucid dreams" while in bed -"sleeping" only.
    (Some of these - even quite pleasant by the way.)

Not serious about the Gin although the tonic may be good.

Good folk - just do it in your own best interest. SERIOOOOUUUUS.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast