The good son - The Colt 2.8 NA Journey - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: The good son

EXCESSIVE STEERING PLAY

Next on the radar is trying to sort the excessive steering play. I recall from my ACVW TINKERING days, one could almost solve the excessive steering play by opening the steering box, retightening a nut or 3 and renewing the oil inside the box. Extreme cases required replacing/manufacturing the internals.

Currently, the best way I can explain the play is by saying I have about "1 hour play". Holding steering at 3 O'clock, the steering only changes direction of the vehicle just past the 4:30 O'clock.

Default The good son - The Colt 2.8 NA Journey

One of the challenges I've had with the bakkie is the inability to go visiting with it whilst sorting it out for the ol' man. She marked her territory quite well 😂
    So yesterday I eventually removed the crank pulley as I'd seen the leak was from there. This 👇 is clearly where the challenge has been.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tmp-cam--652110771.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	217.7 KB 
ID:	570924
    I will try see if I can get a replacement pulley. If not, get it remachined or made at local engineering shop. I don't need the 3rd aircon row, the windows work perfectly.

Name:	tmp-cam-1323898625.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	570925

I also got the vacuum and elbow grease out once again now that I was able to start and move the car closed to a power source. I removed the floor lining so I could go wild with soap and water on it, and clean nicely underneath. I loved the noise damper used, might try see if I can't add rubber or thick foam squares too to kill more road noise and dampen the vibrations on the feet.

Name:	tmp-cam--1706529233.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	570926

Name:	tmp-cam-380881841.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	570927
    To be honest, somethings cannot be outsourced. This cleaning process showed me potential shortcuts I could have taken, but wanting to give this ol' lass another 20 year innings, I made sure I do justice to her. I mean, a 2nd hand vacuum cleaner from local supplier would be cheaper than a full valet, and you will know that it's done right. We've got time to kill with lockdown, and minds to clear 😂

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hloni For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The good son

Thanks MVColler for the referral. Went off to Anropa who supplied one for me, brand new at R350ex VAT.
    Upon reflection and visiting their factory, I was happier spending my money there than at bright shiny lights supplier - these guys keep classic vehicles on the road, and it's a family run business!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    For cable refurb, try Anropa cables on Heidelberg Rd outgoing just after going under the M2, on left hand side, just before the first traffic light...

Name:	Brake Cable Fixed.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	575897

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hloni For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The good son - The Colt 2.8 NA Journey

Over the weekend I installed the 3rd pulley (thanks to the "pulley key" that was homemade by the previous mechanic). All went in correctly, using the correct woodkey. 100% sealed no oil.

I then removed the engine oil sump as I've been meaning to give the engine a GOOD oil change - no additive/solvent does the justice as removing and cleaning the sump. Lo and behold, the original woodkey is sitting in the sump!! This is where I was flabbergasted. Had the original mechanic simply removed the sump and fished the key out, he/she would have saved themselves the time it took to make and measure the "boer maak a plan" key they made. It honestly was beyond my understanding as to why they just didn't remove the sump.

Alas, old girl now has 100% fresh oil in the pan (all silicon bits removed from the pan as well as sludge), and she is running on B20 biodiesel (Sasol 10ppm as the petroleum diesel). I can't wait for the summer to run her on 50-60% biodiesel, just avoiding the potential gelling up on our cold winter mornings here on the Reef.

Default Re: The good son - The Colt 2.8 NA Journey

Next on my radar is the suspension. She creaks a lot, so looking at polyurethane bushes on as many a spots I can get to.

But then...I really want a Lexus V8 bakkie with an autobox, so I need to decide WHEN I am stopping on this bakkie as I will not recover the money I'm plowing into her if/when I sell her. I'm seeing Colxus for R60-80k with Lexus motor, ideal for the old man to pull his cattle trailer with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2