Bike attire considerations

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Bike attire considerations

I would just like to share my recent "stack'' (falling off a motorcycle) experience in the hopes that it might encourage new comers to the adventure motorcycling world like myself to consider what they wear when they ride.

First a bit of background, I taught myself to ride a motorcycle at the age 14 with the help of my dad. My first bike was a 1983 yamaha xt500 which still lives on the farm where I learnt most of my riding and falling.....mostly without any gear, bar a helmet occasionally. Put my neck in a brace ounce but that was it. At 15 I started fooling around on my dad's then BMW r1150gs adventure, also just with a helmet. Long story short Im a novice rider at best who thinks he is used to big bikes and that proper gear isn't all that important.

So today I ended up in a erosion ditch with my fairly new to me BMW g650 x challenge on its side. I was wearing a padded adventure jacket, decent helmet, jeans and jeep steal toe boots. I fell on my right side, mainly on my shoulder and banged my head once against the ground. Fortunately I wasn't hurt badly and came away with a few scrapes bruises and sore muscles. The interesting part was where I was hurt.....shoulder muscle hurt but no scrapes or cuts due to adventure jacket, neck muscles very sore and stiff-no neck brace, hands bruised and cut-no gloves, right leg has a few small roasties -no motorcycling pants, right foot muscles sore and stiff- no riding boots.

So in conclusion I hurt just about every part of me that did not have decent gear, and that in a small crash not doing silly speed. I would guess at a higher speed or more serious crash that gear would have made an even bigger difference. Its a massive schlep and expense to buy and then wear the amount of gear recommended but Im starting to think it really is worth it. Im not all ATGATT just yet but im definitely investing in some more riding gear.

Oh and if anyone knows where to get parts for BMW motorcycles other that BMW themselves at affordable prices please give me a shout.
    My bikes damage: both mirrors broken, tail light broken, plastics badly scratched, handlebar raiser bolts bent, broken brake lever and broken right foot peg.

Hope this has encouraged someone to rethink there bike attire.

Cheers
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW G650 xChallenge

Default Re: Bike attire considerations

Yep, dress for the crash, not for the ride.

Glad you came off relatively OK.
    Dewald

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DCR For This Useful Post:

Glad you OK

On the Wild Dog Forum I've seen guys recommend ACME for used spares but never used them myself. I've however bought aftermarket non OEM spares such as mirrors and clutch/brake levers for my F650GS from Conrad at Off Road Cycles before.
    Dawie Nel

2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 Auto / 2011 VW Tiguan 2.0 TDi 4Motion DSG
    2000 Ford Courier 4x4 D/C (390,000 km) Sold

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DawieNel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DCR View Post
    Yep, dress for the crash, not for the ride.

Glad you came off relatively OK.
    Plus 1 here!
    ATGATT... All The Gear, All The Time!
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

ATTGAT.

even if it's down to the shops and back.

Full bike gear in summer in Cape Town must be one of the most uncomfortable things around. But I wear it. ATGATT.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

Quote Originally Posted by DawieNel View Post
    Glad you OK

On the Wild Dog Forum I've seen guys recommend ACME for used spares but never used them myself. I've however bought aftermarket non OEM spares such as mirrors and clutch/brake levers for my F650GS from Conrad at Off Road Cycles before.
    Jip, those two can work. Also try Startline in Edenvale or some also mentioned Bike Hospital, although I've also heard that some scrapyards are only slightly cheaper than OEM or sometimes even more expensive, so do shop around.

As far as ATGATT goes, a taxi removed my footpeg the other day. luckily I had proper boots on and didn't suffer any injuries. Any piece of kit is way cheaper than what the medical bill on that body part would be, so due to my tightfistedness I rather buy good quality gear.
    Fortuner 4.0v6 Auto - Awaiting new adventures (Summit4x4 Replacement B/Bar, Stofpad Bashplate, Gerbers LR tank(50l),Frontrunner towbar, Stonehill seat covers. Grabber AT's)
    Golf vii GTi DSG - (SWAMBO's new fly machine)
    BMW R1200 GSA LC
    Honda NC700x White - RIP
    Honda NC700x Silver - Saving the budget

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tp007 For This Useful Post:

Get the best gear you can afford and wear it ALL THE TIME!
    My 1st offroad mishap was at about 80km/h when I came off with shorts, T, running shoes an helmet.
    I tore knee ligaments and split knee-cap, decided there and then to invest in some good gear.

I came off again (Mountain trail) at what I would guess was about 120km/h with all my gear on.
    No damage to me, I had stiff muscles and was a bit naar afterwars.

More expensive isn't necessarily safer but usually more comfortable with more features. But get all the gear and wear it. For example gloves may seem unimportant but hands get damaged easily are expensive to repair and quite important in everyday life. Similarly your neck - get a brace and wear it.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS

ok Im pretty convinced...Now all that left to do is go shopping for bike parts and gear.
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW G650 xChallenge

I have had 2 serious tumbles on my GSA with all the expensive gear...Arai helmets and BMW jackets saved me...breakages and bruising but No road rash...preferred it that way!!...do NOT skimp and get the best you can possibly afford and insure accordingly...insurance replaced all damaged gear without quibble...always dress for the fall !!

I've been wondering something and maybe someone can share their experience. When you came off the bike, did the padded inserts (elbows/ back, knees) make any difference? They bulk up the gear very quickly and I don't see the purpose as the jacket/ pants themselves provides protection against the rash from sliding.

"Feel good factor" gimmick or actually useful?
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    I've been wondering something and maybe someone can share their experience. When you came off the bike, did the padded inserts (elbows/ back, knees) make any difference? They bulk up the gear very quickly and I don't see the purpose as the jacket/ pants themselves provides protection against the rash from sliding.

"Feel good factor" gimmick or actually useful?

the stunt guys are big on the pads for any kind of stunt - especially neck braces.

elbows, knees, head, back (esp. coccyx) all take the big initial impact when you fall, which is what turns an elbow/vertebrae/knee into small fragments that may or may not ever function properly again, but will certainly have a lot of metal in it to hold it all together.

I know several people that have to carry x-rays with them when they travel....
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2017/03/15 at 09:40 AM.

Yip have to agree 100% ATGATT !!!

Got a small 'blood buddy' sticker from Think Bike on my helmet which shows your blood group also worth considering.

Roy

Beneath every ‘Majestic Oak’ lies a ‘Tuff Nut’ that refused to give up!!

Daily Drive : 2010 Discovery 4 SE
    Weekends: 2003 BMW K1200GT

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    the stunt guys are big on the pads for any kind of stunt - especially neck braces.

elbows, knees, head, back (esp. coccyx) all take the big initial impact when you fall, which is what turns an elbow/vertebrae/knee into small fragments that may or may not ever function properly again, but will certainly have a lot of metal in it to hold it all together.

I know several people that have to carry x-rays with them when they travel....
    I can see that a neck brace and proper body armour can make a big difference and I always wear my neck brace. What I'm referring to are the flimsy inserts in adventure bike jackets and pants. It's not even proper plastic so I'm not convinced of it impact absorption benefit and during a slide the material is supposed to save one from roasties. So I'm thinking these inserts are little more than false sense of safety.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    I can see that a neck brace and proper body armour can make a big difference and I always wear my neck brace. What I'm referring to are the flimsy inserts in adventure bike jackets and pants. It's not even proper plastic so I'm not convinced of it impact absorption benefit and during a slide the material is supposed to save one from roasties. So I'm thinking these inserts are little more than false sense of safety.
    To my knowledge these inserts are Kevlar? Pretty tough !!

Also a reason why I prefer a leather jacket as opposed to fiber light weight jacket, leather is much warmer in summer but in my opinion better protection.

Roy
    Last edited by royjacobs; 2017/03/15 at 10:35 AM.

"If it's too hot to wear my leathers, it's too hot to ride my bike."

There is a very nice, but very old article about this. Thank you google for finding it for me.

http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/bikes-...no-ride-867949

The following paragraph still makes me cringe!
    There followed the most painful two weeks of his life as the wounds had to be scrubbed raw, twice a day, to prevent scabs forming - a process that took three hours morning and night.
    A few years ago, I actually got myself a synthetic jacket for summer. You do have to be careful what material they are made from. Cheap material like nylon melts from friction and actually melts into your wounds. EINA!

Just because a piece of kit has a big name on it, doesnt make it good. When I got the R1, I spent a lot of time on user review sites, reading post accident reviews of kit. It is shocking how badly big names like alpinestar fails in an accident, e.g. burst seams.
    Then the other big problem comes up. Actually getting the kit to RSA. Luckily internet shopping has vastly improved in the last decade!
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

I always laugh seeing guys fully kitted, including their dayglo "Think Bike" bibs, getting onto their 1000cc and 1200cc bikes, but then wear NO GLOVES!

How dumb can you be?
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

Quote Originally Posted by RogueFrontier View Post
    I always laugh seeing guys fully kitted, including their dayglo "Think Bike" bibs, getting onto their 1000cc and 1200cc bikes, but then wear NO GLOVES!

How dumb can you be?
    Yip hands pretty much most important limb till you cant use them

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by royjacobs View Post
    To my knowledge these inserts are Kevlar? Pretty tough !!

Also a reason why I prefer a leather jacket as opposed to fiber light weight jacket, leather is much warmer in summer but in my opinion better protection.

Roy
    I don't think it's kevlar. It feels like foam, no more than 10mm think at the thickest. Like it is supposed to absorb impact but in reality is too flimsy for that. The jacket/ pants itself is supposed to be skid resistant.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast