Amarok Rear Air Springs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Amarok Rear Air Springs

I had a set of Firestone air springs fitted to my Navara with good results. The only negative was that after the fitment the Navara rear axle tended to "jump" when driving over speed humps, probably due to the 0.5 bar min inflation under unladen use.

I am now looking at fitting a set of these air springs to my Amarok. Has anyone on the Forum done this yet and what was your experience?

Your comments will be appreciated.

2018 VW Amarok V6 4Motion A/T
    2019 VW Tiguan 2.0 TDI Highline
    2015 Jurgens Xplorer

Default Re: Amarok Rear Air Springs

Will this not affect how the auto (permanent 4wd) behaves when loaded. Per my understanding it senses load and adjust power to the rear wheels accordingly. If it cannot sense the load due to air helpers it will surely affect the handling?
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Will this not affect how the auto (permanent 4wd) behaves when loaded. Per my understanding it senses load and adjust power to the rear wheels accordingly. If it cannot sense the load due to air helpers it will surely affect the handling?
    Nys,something I have not considered,will have to check this one.
    Thank you.

2015 Jurgens Xplorer

I had airbags in my Rok, but experienced the same "jump" you refer to. Used it on a dune trip, and the bounce when climbing rutted dunes was uncontrollable, took them out as soon as I got back.
    Also, one of the bags touched the brake line support bracket and cut a hole in the bag.
    If I did them again, I would also upgrade the shocks. But 1st prize is to get the 5 leaf spring pack in.
    2012 Bi Turbo 4Motion, on Bilsteins with a 50mm suspension lift and 20mm body lift. 76mm pipe and software.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
    I had airbags in my Rok, but experienced the same "jump" you refer to. Used it on a dune trip, and the bounce when climbing rutted dunes was uncontrollable, took them out as soon as I got back.
    Also, one of the bags touched the brake line support bracket and cut a hole in the bag.
    If I did them again, I would also upgrade the shocks. But 1st prize is to get the 5 leaf spring pack in.
    JohnBoy,
    Thank you for your feed back. You guys have now confirmed my general concern about air bags. the last thing I want to do is to spoil the excellent ride quality of the Rok. My only problem is that when over landing with full load and the Xplorer hitched the tail tend to drop a bit to much. Yes the 5 pack rear spring might solve that but at the expense of unladen ride quality.

What I think I should look at next is the Seikel "Field and Forest" conversion. At least I will start off 25 mm higher and not effect the ride. Any comments on that idea?

2015 Jurgens Xplorer

That is the best option imo and also the one I am considering. I have the comfort pack (3 leaf) and it sags when I hook the bush lapa. But I am in two minds......start kitting or wait for the v6
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

I will also be doing the Field & Forest. It is the most practical upgrade without compromising on anything.

Mine also has the 3 leaf springs and i will tell you that it is a much smoother ride than the 5. My manual had 5.

Angry Re: Amarok Rear Air Springs

That is the best option imo and also the one I am considering. I have the comfort pack (3 leaf) and it sags when I hook the bush lapa. But I am in two minds......start kitting or wait for the v6
    Nys,
    I have the same dilemma

2015 Jurgens Xplorer

I had a similar problem with my Rok as well, the 3 pack provided a nice and comfortable ride when the truck was unloaded. I soon installed a Front Runner bed / cargo slide and loaded four wolf packs the rear started to sag and and was on the load limiter of the rear leaf springs.

I looked at the 5 spring leaf pack but the price from VW was insane and I could not get a five pack at the salvage yards so I had one extra leaf fitted to me my Rok, thus its the only Rok i know of with a four pack at the rear . I had to remove me Seikel spacer block at the rear as with the fourth leaf spring added it lifted the rear to exactly to the same height as with the spacer block fitted!!

The ride and handling has not been effected at all and the Rok feels just as good as it did with only the three pack fitted, flex has not been effected and the service tech's at VW did not even notice the fourth leaf spring .

Explorer if your ever in Cape Town your more than welcome to come and drive my truck and feel the if you can feel the difference
    Last edited by ChrisBlatherwick; 2017/03/13 at 09:49 AM.
    2017 3.2 Ford Ranger Wildtrak D/C
    Old Man Emu lift kit
    Stofpad Box rocksliders
    Aline Dagger
    BFG KO2 285-75-16
    Stanium aluminium canopy with some goodies and stuff inside
    and loads of attitude

I had the dessert seikel suspension with the 3 leaf pack in my auto and my explorer didn't nose dive. in fact it was level. I didn't had any stuff in the back of the bakkie, only engel fridge.

2017 VW Amarok BiTDi 4Motion D/Cab
    2020 VW T Cross Highline R Line
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBlatherwick View Post
    I had a similar problem with my Rok as well, the 3 pack provided a nice and comfortable ride when the truck was unloaded. I soon installed a Front Runner bed / cargo slide and loaded four wolf packs the rear started to sag and and was on the load limiter of the rear leaf springs.

I looked at the 5 spring leaf pack but the price from VW was insane and I could not get a five pack at the salvage yards so I had one extra leaf fitted to me my Rok, thus its the only Rok i know of with a four pack at the rear . I had to remove me Seikel spacer block at the rear as with the fourth leaf spring added it lifted the rear to exactly to the same height as with the spacer block fitted!!

The ride and handling has not been effected at all and the Rok feels just as good as it did with only the three pack fitted, flex has not been effected and the service tech's at VW did not even notice the fourth leaf spring .

Explorer if your ever in Cape Town your more than welcome to come and drive my truck and feel the if you can feel the difference
    ChrisBlatherwick, that is very interesting and thanks for the offer.
    The fourth spring you fitted, was that a VW part or after market. More detail will be appreciated.
    Thanks

2015 Jurgens Xplorer

The extra leaf was fitted by Saaymans Springworks and was not a VW leaf but an aftermarket leaf. They utilised all the original clamps that was on the leaf spring before as I removed the Seikel spacer block. I have been running the four leaf configuration for the last 30 000 km with no side effects or any vibration / complaints from the drive train. I have attached some photographs of the configuration as well as some pictures where the new setup is flexing it "muscles"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20160624_15_30_56_Pro.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	438563   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20160624_15_39_44_Pro.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	438564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20160624_15_39_58_Pro.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	438565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20160930_14_40_49_Pro.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	438566   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20160930_14_41_20_Pro.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	438567   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20160930_14_42_16_Pro.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	438568  
    Last edited by ChrisBlatherwick; 2017/03/13 at 04:38 PM.
    Old Man Emu lift kit
    Stofpad Box rocksliders
    Aline Dagger
    BFG KO2 285-75-16
    and loads of attitude

The extra leaf was fitted by Saaymans Springworks and was not a VW leaf but an aftermarket leaf. They utilised all the original clamps that was on the leaf spring before as I removed the Seikel spacer block. I have been running the four leaf configuration for the last 30 000 km with no side effects or any vibration / complaints from the drive train. I have attached some photographs of the configuration as well as some pictures where the new setup is flexing it "muscles"
    Was this done here in Cape Town? I must do that too, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by dph View Post
    Was this done here in Cape Town? I must do that too, I think.
    Yes they are in Triangle Farm, and they are 4x4 enthusiasts as well!
    Old Man Emu lift kit
    Stofpad Box rocksliders
    Aline Dagger
    BFG KO2 285-75-16
    and loads of attitude

Nys, I think the load sensing is only for braking? (Or maybe not even anymore as it was on older vehicles without ABS?)

As I understand the torque under no wheel slip conditions is always split 60/40 by the center torque biasing diff? I might be wrong - I am often learning new things about the Amarok!

Quote Originally Posted by JurgenSteyn View Post
    Nys, I think the load sensing is only for braking? (Or maybe not even anymore as it was on older vehicles without ABS?)

As I understand the torque under no wheel slip conditions is always split 60/40 by the center torque biasing diff? I might be wrong - I am often learning new things about the Amarok!
    You might be right...i am quoting the 4motion system as explained on the VW website. Whether all functions are present in the Amarok I don't know.
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
    I had exactly the same experience with Firestone Air bags on my 2019 V6 so do yourself a favour and DO NOT fit these. The supplier (Air Spring Supply Company) does not take responsibility for the fact that the air bags do not have enough space to expand under exaggerated load when going through ruts when loaded! I believe they are selling a product that has not been properly tested in the Amarok. They claim that I under inflated but all I was doing was adjusting the pressure according to load to keep the vehicle level as they advertise their product is made to do!
    Last edited by Michael Solyom; 2019/05/21 at 07:29 AM.

Sorry to burst your bubble Chris I also had a look at upgrading 3 leaf rear springs as I also found this as inadequate when loaded and touring. Looked at air springs and systems with extra helpers/blade on top and found some negative comments when researching these. I then opted for an additional leaf spring, also fitted as per your description by spring manufacturer so I also have 4 spring blades. I am also very happy with with this setup. Only downside is squeaking and I just did not get around to get this sorted so for time being I sort this with a bit of spookpiepie every now and then which is probably not ideal

Quote Originally Posted by JanH View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble Chris I also had a look at upgrading 3 leaf rear springs as I also found this as inadequate when loaded and touring. Looked at air springs and systems with extra helpers/blade on top and found some negative comments when researching these. I then opted for an additional leaf spring, also fitted as per your description by spring manufacturer so I also have 4 spring blades. I am also very happy with with this setup. Only downside is squeaking and I just did not get around to get this sorted so for time being I sort this with a bit of spookpiepie every now and then which is probably not ideal

Hi JanH

Its been a while but I just want to find out if you are still happy with the extra blade on the Amarok.
    I also pull a BushLapa and need a lift.

Should I go for it ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast