Disco2 recovery points

Default Disco2 recovery points

Hi all

I'm fairly new to the 4X4 world but I do know a few basics. probably one of the more important points is where to attached for recovery. I know a tow ball and the standard tie down loops are big no no's

so my question is.

On the Disco2...
    1. would one of the plaas tow bars with the ball and shaft section make an acceptable recovery point on the rear if you use the shaft bit and not the ball... it should be noted that I have one of the removable tow bars and the pin that keeps the tow bar on the car is my worry.
    2. The Disco 2 doesn't have much in the line of solid recovery points on the front. My idea is to cut 10mm plates that bolts down onto the sub-frame behind the aluminum slam tray. and then using a Bridal between these two point if / when recovery is needed. I already have a off road bumper so I wont need to drop the recovery point to far.

As stated I am new so I am very open to suggestions.
    2002 Land Rover Discovery2 4.0 V8
    2015 Chevy Spark (Saving food for the V8 )

Default Re: Disco2 recovery points

Any responses to the question by Chinese Dem? I would also like to know.
    Land Rover Defender Puma

Previous ride: Defender 90 tD5

Look if you can't find a Hayman Reece towbar for the D2. I had one on my Facelift and what a solid piece of kit that was. By what I've read you might already have one on. If you do find a high tensile smooth shank bolt with a wingnut to replace that R5.99 mild steel pin that you probably have in.

The front is exactly where I am. Nowhere. My bull bar attaches to a bracket that attaches to the chassis so I am still trying to find a solution to my predicament. I will go for more than 10mm plate though.
    Henk
    So understand
    Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
    Face up, make your stand
    And realize you're living in the golden years

From what I have been able to ascertain from reading on here and elsewhere, recovery points need to be attached to the chassis rails to be both effective and safe.
    There are countless YT videos of hapless people losing bumpers and I have a particularly nasty video on my phone of a rope snapping and going through the front screen of the vehicle being towed which should be sufficient to convince anyone that this is no matter to be trivial with.

The rails will also need to have a way of preventing the tightened bolts collapsing the rail and weakening the fastening point, normally it takes the form of tube inserts that fit in the chassis internal space with the bolt through them.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Also, all recovery points must be welded to the chassis or attached with the correct tensile strength bolts and nuts.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus