Ford & Mazda New 2.2 Ranger D/Cab auto 4x4

Default New 2.2 Ranger D/Cab auto 4x4

Hi guys,

This is not me talking bad about Ford, not at all. I had a 3.0 D4D Hilux before and currently still own a 3.0 d4d fortuner. I recently bought a new 2.2 ranger d/cab auto 4x4 and so far the one thing I noticed was the fuel consumption is horrific. I dont know if the consumption will get better with time but at the moment Its got about 3000kms on the clock and Im getting 12.5L/100km. The fortuner gets between 9 and 10. my hilux gave me between 8 and 9.

I have to mention the squeak noises from the rear suspension everytime I get out of the bakkie and I weight 80kg.

I can live with the fuel consumption although I expected alot better, and the squeak noise I can live with but the biggest thing that I am struggling with is the gear ratios on the auto. First gear and I think second gear is fine when pullaway but then there is a HUGE difference between 2nd and 3rd. It makes for a terrible driving experience. I was so excited to go from the 4 speed gearbox from the fortuner to the new 6 speed box but i think I might let the wife deal with that ratios.

I really do like the light steering and the softer ride comparing with the fortuner so Im hoping you can convince me that there is a problem with my ranger.

Regards

Anton Meiring

Default Re: New 2.2 Ranger D/Cab auto 4x4

No problem with your Ranger mine was the same in the beginning, it did get better over the last 500km or so, maybe the gearbox learned what it had to from my driving style as it is supposed to do, as for the fuel consumption see the picture, I've got a very light foot, so your stats is very easily achievable in my view
    Last edited by mariusst; 2017/03/02 at 10:57 PM.

Leave the box in sport for the first few tanks. It learns your driving style much faster. Mine is now on 16600km and have no issues with gear ratios between 2nd and 3rd. I drive with a fairly heavy foot and my average is 10km/l over the 16 odd thousand km's. I found that the consumption settled after 5000km. Once it has 'learned' your driving style you will enjoy it much more.
    Kenneth

2020 Mercedes X - Class X250 4x4 Power

Oh and my rear leafs squeaks as well, but I drive a fair amount of dirt roads so guess it is that. Does not bother me any more. Just spray Q20 after every wash and its gone till the next dirt road
    Kenneth

2020 Mercedes X - Class X250 4x4 Power

The squeak is not my problem, it is Ford's. They fetch and fix!
    Last edited by Brent Clark; 2017/03/17 at 08:29 PM.

The third gear issue has a lot to do with the torque converter lookup. JP from fury Ford stated to drive in sport. I leave mine in this mode! 1km/l improvement as well as a better driving experience .