At Se Gat 4x4 Trail

Default At Se Gat 4x4 Trail

Hi Guys and Gals,

Myself and a few friends are going to do "At Se Gat" this weekend for his birthday, really looking forward to it. As normal I always try to do as much research as possible on a track before I go and attempt it. So far I have done (De Rust,De Wildt and Hennops) the latter 2 was a lot of fun, even though I decided not to do "Gert se Klip" at Dewildt as it was raining and I only had about 1K om my Vehicle. I did however a week later at Hennops with the "BT-R" group do the hidden hill climb (Not sure what to call it, basically almost next to the picnic area).

My question however is, do anyone have any tips for us? We still need to call them tomorrow to ensure that the track is open after the heavy rainfall we had in the area.

Regards
    My Toys ->
    - Ford Ranger 2.2Tdci D/C 4x4
    - Kawasaki KLR650

Contact me on Skype anytime.

Default Re: At Se Gat 4x4 Trail

My advice would be that after the heavy rainfalls and the river levels being high for quite some tine, most part of the route will be washed away and probably muddy. Unless you are a group with very capable vehicles, you will get stuck on most parts of the trail along the river side. I don't think crossing the river will be possible yet, but it's best to phone them and enquire about the river levels. Other than that, the mountain sections should be doable.
    2008 JEEP RUBiCON
    3.5 LIFT with ADJUSTABLE FOX SHOCKS
    37" COOPER STT
    SPRINTEX SUPERCHARGER

Just got off the phone, and was advised that the track is very slippery and the river is not cross-able. Will have to test the recovery gear then.
    My Toys ->
    - Kawasaki KLR650

Report: We did end up going to At se Gat, and as lucknwould have it it started to to rain while we where on the trail. Did enjoy the trail, but was very though with poor visibility due to the weather. We managed to get 1 vehicle up Briek Mek, 3 hours later and a lot of winch work. Have the sticker to prove this. My advice is to never try that while it is raining, that thing is very slippery.

In Summary, At se Gat was one of the best trails I have ever done. Great views and some scary cliff driving. Good fun with a couple of good friends.
    My Toys ->
    - Kawasaki KLR650

Very good trail for extremists and adrenaline junkies. Good fun.

If you are not sure if you're one of those, grab a couple of friends and go find out.
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!