Roaming charges for tracker

Default Roaming charges for tracker

Does anyone have experience with crossborder roaming charges for a tracker?

I'm planning a trip up to Tanzania and beyond and plan to be away for about a year. My vehicle is currently insured with Cross-Country and has a Ctrack tracker installed which needs a gsm connection to report. The last time I was away for a couple of months up on the border of Namibia and Angola the tracker started giving issues and I received text messages from Ctrack. I contacted them and they said the problem might be because the tracker did not have international roaming activated.

I have contacted Cross-Country about this issue too and they say that the tracker does have international roaming activated but they will only cover the international roaming charges for a month as "their policy is not designed for people travelling long term outside of the country". What is even more frustrating is that they are unwilling or unable to say how much the roaming charges will be. They estimate 1-2MB per month which is not much and by looking at the SA cell companies roaming fees 2MB could vary from R10 (Safaricom Kenya) to R205 (Zamtel - Zambia). Given that my vehicle insurance alone is R1200 per month it seems their unwillingness to cover the roaming costs is petty particularly at the lower end of the scale. I'm also unhappy about assuming responsibility for roaming charges that could be huge if their estimates are wrong (100MB in Zambia could cost R20 000).

Do all of the insurance companies that offer cross-border insurance have this sort of clause in their policies? I cannot find any mention of it in my policy wording but a Cross-Country rep has told me that this is how it functions.

If anyone has experience of this issue with Cross-Country or another company I'd appreciate your input ... What were the roaming costs for e.g. in Zambia? Is Cross-Country penny pinching and should I change to another insurer such the much loved (on this forum) Tuff-Stuff?

Thanks a million.

Default Re: Roaming charges for tracker

Why not get them to set it to only broadcast exceptions. Maybe even setup some geo-fences, if you know where you routes should be.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

I pay about R45 more a month for mine, when the car is in Stellenbosch.

Its a six-pack of beer less.

Is there not a company that uses satellite tracking

Thanks for the responses. It is definitely possible to select different modes on the tracker which will affect data usage. I'll carry on researching and will report back if I find out any useful info.