Looking to make some extra money

Lightbulb Looking to make some extra money

Hi All, I thought I would post here and see what everyone's ideas are and possibly help out a few other people who are thinking the same thing!

Basically looking to make some extra money on the weekends and having a double cab 4x4 bakkie could help with that, I just don't know exactly with what and have had a couple ideas from others. listed below:-

• Help people move - this is obviously very stressful and time-consuming not to mention huge wear and tear on the vehicle but is an option
    • Moving special things - someone mentioned there father used to transport art for art galleries on weekends, which is not too bad and seems less stressful, you just need to be trustworthy and reliable, and then, of course, you need the in?
    • similar to the above, someone else told me how he was hired to transport batteries for power stations in the mountains, need huge 4x4 experience for this as there are no roads and you need to get to the top
    • Film Industry - I was also told a story of someone being paid to drive celebs/actors from their tents to the film spot on the dunes. for this, you would need to be 100% sure you won't get stuck or inconvenience the actor or film crew, you have to be strong not to interact with the celeb, you are there to drive back and forth nothing else.

These are some of the ideas I was given, I was wondering if there are any others that could be interesting to look into, and possibly some connections into the above mentioned. I have a wedding to save for and this is the reason to spend every waking moment working, aside from my day time job. and week freelance stuff.

Default Re: Looking to make some extra money

Quote Originally Posted by blaize.liebs View Post
    Hi All, I thought I would post here and see what everyone's ideas are and possibly help out a few other people who are thinking the same thing!

Basically looking to make some extra money on the weekends and having a double cab 4x4 bakkie could help with that, I just don't know exactly with what and have had a couple ideas from others. listed below:-

• Help people move - this is obviously very stressful and time-consuming not to mention huge wear and tear on the vehicle but is an option
    • Moving special things - someone mentioned there father used to transport art for art galleries on weekends, which is not too bad and seems less stressful, you just need to be trustworthy and reliable, and then, of course, you need the in?
    • similar to the above, someone else told me how he was hired to transport batteries for power stations in the mountains, need huge 4x4 experience for this as there are no roads and you need to get to the top
    • Film Industry - I was also told a story of someone being paid to drive celebs/actors from their tents to the film spot on the dunes. for this, you would need to be 100% sure you won't get stuck or inconvenience the actor or film crew, you have to be strong not to interact with the celeb, you are there to drive back and forth nothing else.

These are some of the ideas I was given, I was wondering if there are any others that could be interesting to look into, and possibly some connections into the above mentioned. I have a wedding to save for and this is the reason to spend every waking moment working, aside from my day time job. and week freelance stuff.

I think moving stuff with a twin cab is not really a good idea - the load bin is too small.

Art stuff is all about packing and not damaging it.... good business to be in, but again, a twin cab isn't really big enough.

Batteries for various transmitters in the mountains.... well, most of that is done in house by the people that run them as far as I know. In addition, you'd need to be fitting those as well and might need some qualification / experience / training

Dunes / movie stuff... there are quite a few people doing that already. Also we don't really work in the dunes on the weekend as it's too busy....

I'm very much in the same boat.

Although I love my work as a teacher I have a second child studying this year.. And fees didn't fall where she studies

I bought my first Bakkie for that exact reason.... To earn an Extra income.
    I stay near a Quarry and buy riverstone and crushed stone from them. My pebblepickers sort it in different sizes and we then bag it. I supply it to nurseries and landscapers in the Western Cape with my bakkie and custom build double Axle trailer.
    However I return home (Worcester side of the Hugenote tunnel) with an empty loadbin and trailer.
    This brings me back to your question and a possible solution ... I am investigating the possibility to source fresh produce from the Epping market and supply it to informal "groente en vrugte smouse" and cafés in the Worcester area.
    The Market are open till ten at night Monday to Saturday which give enough time to load after normal working hours.
    One can even take orders from friends or colleagues at work..
    So there is another option for you.. Staying in the Cape metropole there should be enough opportunities... You are welcome to drop me a pm if you are interested.. Hoe sę hulle? .. Twee koppe is beter as een
    Last edited by tocin; 2017/03/01 at 01:00 PM.
    Nico Thiart

Don't laugh... house & pet sitting.

We did it for about two years. Most we pocketed was R11k in one month. This was 8 years ago.

We could manage 4 clients in one go at times where we would sleep over at one house and the rest are early morning and afternoon check-in and feeding.

Enjoyed it and mostly stayed over in massive houses with tennis courts and the works.

Was in JHB though but I am sure it will work here.
    Last edited by WernerDV; 2017/03/01 at 01:03 PM.
    Isuzu KB300 Dteq 4x4 - KB5

Alu-Cab | Awning | FR Roofrack | ARB Bumper | Camil suspension | Performance chip

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That’s why people with no sense of humor have such a strong sense of self-importance.

I think look around and see where there is a need and fit yourself to the need, don't try and find a need for the bakkie.

As Tocin implied: markets need suppliers, suppliers need stuff transported. See if a local market stall owner has a constraint on their transportation and supply capabilities.

Then you might see a gap where you can source and supply items.

For example: stall owner sells mushrooms. He can't get to all the mushroom producers on a Saturday morning. You fetch the mushrooms for a fee. Later you have a mushroom stall at a different market and he provides the mushrooms that YOU can't fetch.........
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

There you go.. I can get mushrooms from a local mushroom farm at a third of what you pay in the supermarket... Where can I drop it off.. Oops I forgot.. I already have 2.5 ton of stone to deliver.... Jelo is spot on.. Supply and demand
    Last edited by tocin; 2017/03/01 at 01:29 PM.
    Nico Thiart

Go to your local pizza place and start delivering.
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.