Inverter emergency solution?

Default Inverter emergency solution?

These seem to be non-standard size fuses fitted inside (some) or outside, underneath the unit.
    The usual spade type auto fuses don't fit.
    Are these available at retail outlets - are they standard for inverters only?
    Any alternatives? i.e. In an emergency could you bridge the connectors - effectively - no fuse?
    Could a non-fitting fuse of the right resistance be soldered "in" safely as an emergency measure?
    Reason being 220 v is required for medical device in remote area for one week - need a fail-safe solution to possible failure of inverter.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Default Re: Inverter emergency solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    These seem to be non-standard size fuses fitted inside (some) or outside, underneath the unit.
    The usual spade type auto fuses don't fit.
    Are these available at retail outlets - are they standard for inverters only?
    Any alternatives? i.e. In an emergency could you bridge the connectors - effectively - no fuse?
    Could a non-fitting fuse of the right resistance be soldered "in" safely as an emergency measure?
    Reason being 220 v is required for medical device in remote area for one week - need a fail-safe solution to possible failure of inverter.
    Hi Peter,

Please post a photo of the fuses. What make and model is the inverter?

Please never bypass fuses on any inverter. BIG risk of fire / serious short circuits etc.

In an emergency, you could solder in a physically different fuse with the same current rating.
    ZS6VL

3. The Following User Says Thank You to An3s For This Useful Post:

Omni 1000 1000W 12V/24V 325x179x82 3.1 Kg
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.

Default Inverter emergency solution?

Did not read the post thoroughly.
    Last edited by LesseW; 2017/03/01 at 05:48 AM.
    [B]Prado TX 4.0|Rocksliders|Bash Plate|Lift| Bushlapa Miskruier 892 Past: FJ Cruiser Rav4 2.0 (SWAMBO)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LesseW For This Useful Post:

Before having 1st cup of coffee!!!
    I will have to get some pics of the actual fuses - will do when I have the chance - same shape as the car spade type with the two "spades" but wrong physical size to fit.

Being in the medical device industry, may i ask which device you are powering? Perhaps i can give advice.
    [B]Prado TX 4.0|Rocksliders|Bash Plate|Lift| Bushlapa Miskruier 892 Past: FJ Cruiser Rav4 2.0 (SWAMBO)

The automotive fuses come in different sizes. The normal sized as most of us know them and then also a smaller one lately.
    Ask at Midas and such.

Before having 1st cup of coffee!!!
    I will have to get some pics of the actual fuses - will do when I have the chance - same shape as the car spade type with the two "spades" but wrong physical size to fit.
    Riaan
    Mahindra S10 DC Pikup
    GWM Steed DC 2.8 TCi - Dastek(Sold)

Also try electrical shops. They do a variety of fuses with a number of amp ratings/voltage combinations. Between auto electrics shops and normal electrical, you should come right.

I am using the REMstar® Auto M Series with A-Flex (CPAP or BiPAP)

I am using the REMstar Auto M Series with A-Flex (CPAP or BiPAP)
    Many(most) cpap/bipap devices have a dc input close to 12V. The transformer you plug into your wall socket converts the 220Vac to 12Vdc. If you connect the cpap device via an inverter there will be unnecessary wasted power over the inverter. Why not connect 12V, from the battery, directly to the cpap/bipap device? Also, cpap devices do not need pure sine wave inverters as the transformer converts the ac to dc (cpap input) already and a modified/pure sine wave inverter is irrelevant.

For medical back up i would but a cheap 12V lead acid battery which should power you device 1.5 nights +.

Pm me if you need more info then i can give you a call to discuss further.

Hi Peter,

The fuses are also common in smaller UPS units, you should be able to find them at electrical equipment suppliers / electrical wholesalers like Voltex, AC/DC etc, or even Current Automation.

I have attached a pic of a 60A fuse from a small UPS as an example of larger blade fuses. These are usually in the battery circuit and would only blow in extreme cases.

I think that inverter is massive (oversized by far) for your CPAP application, I googled the machine but could not find electrical specs, however I guess it cannot be more than a few tens of Watts. Does it have a rating sticker on it? If so, please give the rating in Amps or Watts. You could use a much smaller inverter, i.e. maybe get a second one as backup.

Edited:
    Found this in an online manual here: http://www.directhomemedical.com/pdf...lex-manual.pdf

AC Power Consumption: 100 – 240 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 1.0 A max. (would probably be around 0.5 A on 220 Volt, giving 110 odd Watt)DC Power Consumption: 12 VDC, 3.0 A max (this implies it will run directly from a 12 Volt battery)

Another thing I found from the Google search was that many of those CPAP machines also have sockets for 12V DC. Have you checked yours? If it also accepts 12V DC, then of course you would not need the inverter at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by An3s; 2017/03/01 at 03:48 PM.
    ZS6VL

14. The Following User Says Thank You to An3s For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LesseW View Post
    Many(most) cpap/bipap devices have a dc input close to 12V. The transformer you plug into your wall socket converts the 220Vac to 12Vdc. If you connect the cpap device via an inverter there will be unnecessary wasted power over the inverter. Why not connect 12V, from the battery, directly to the cpap/bipap device? Also, cpap devices do not need pure sine wave inverters as the transformer converts the ac to dc (cpap input) already and a modified/pure sine wave inverter is irrelevant.

For medical back up i would but a cheap 12V lead acid battery which should power you device 1.5 nights +.
    +1. Exactly!
    ZS6VL

You can also contact your local truck refrigeration fundy as he will likely have a few of those pesky fuses in his van.
    GLS triton so far so good 47800km and its still going strong. Only mod egr bypass

17. The Following User Says Thank You to photoguy1510 For This Useful Post:

I will follow up on the various options mentioned here.
    It does make sense to connect directly to the 12v if that is possible - maybe needs a special connection cable.
    The CPAP has always worked fine with the modified sine wave.
    I also use the inverter to recharge cell phone, camera etc. batteries.

Thanks for the input all.