Advice needed: Towing a caravan on the Botswana side of Kgalagadi?

Default Advice needed: Towing a caravan on the Botswana side of Kgalagadi?

Hi, we are planning a trip to Botswana in June/July, from Cape Town to Nossob,then to Matopi, Mpaya, Mabua, Sizatswe. From there we want to go north to the Okavango and Caprivi.

Is it advisable/possible to tow an offroad caravan - Jurgens Explorer behind a Landcruiser 76 - on the roads on the Botswana side of the Kgalagadi (not the wilderness routes)? I've never been that way, so it's difficult for me to judge. I have noticed that most, if not all travellers use rooftop tents though.

Thanks, Henk

Default Re: Advice needed: Towing a caravan on the Botswana side of Kgalagadi?

I can only comment on the roads themselves, not your set up. The rd from Nossob to Matopi has a few steep dunes that are spun out that could cause you problems. The Kgalagadi rds themselves are notoriously corrugated. Once into Mabua the rds are not too bad as they are sand twee spoor mostly.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Default Re: Advice needed: Towing a caravan on the Botswana side of Kgalagadi?

We have done the nossob > boso route to mabua ; we found a couple of dunes that could present a challenge to someone towing a van ; we had no van on that occasion ; I have read in the forum about someone's trip where photos showed the tow bar and coupling to the van all sank into the sand ; also the boso route is the 2 way ....; imo once you take the dune road lines you commit and should not stop in order to manouvre and optimize the momentum ; there is a risk of oncoming vehicle(s)....; yes most people we saw had RTT's ; we stayed at mabua 3 and on the return trip took the 1 way wilderness trail back to nossob - much better but still some dunes that can challenge specially if towing a robust heavier jurgens ; that is my opinion ; perhaps easier could be to take the main gate to mabua via botswana itself ? ..(sorry forget the name now) ;...that is what I will plan to do next if visiting mabua ; not through nossob ;but plan mabua > nossob on the 1 way wilderness trail if I am towing ....( I tow an imagine trailvan ). Regards.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jayefe For This Useful Post:

Talking Re: Advice needed: Towing a caravan on the Botswana side of Kgalagadi?

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I will definitely take the nice new tar road instead!