WK Grand Cherokee VS KK Cherokee

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default WK Grand Cherokee VS KK Cherokee

Hi all,

Absolutely out of curiosity, as I was browsing Gumtree, I realised that there are plenty WKs out there, now reaching "low" prices (around and below the R100k mark) whereas there are hardly any KKs in that price range.
    I didn't go to the length of looking how many WKs and KKs are actually for sale, but I was wondering if someone could shed some light or share their opinion on this tendency?

Were they so few KKs sold that there are naturally as little for sale second hand?
    Are they such good vehicles that the owners hang on to them?

Are the WKs giving issues and their owners are trying to flog them?

Now for those who have/had either of these, what would you say are the main things you like, and the ones you don't like about yours?
    As a daily driver and off road as well.
    Packing space comparison would be interesting too.
    Please specify what engine you have. I'd be tempted of going petrol as diesel is just proving to be more expensive to maintain.

The underlying idea would be that in the long term, either of these could be options for me (or a Disco 3 V8 ). Talking a few years down the line.

Thanks!
    Fab.
    Last edited by Forest Fab; 2017/02/16 at 10:28 AM.

current: 02 Jeep Cherokee 2.8 CRD swap, and a camping trailer
    previous: 97 Pajero LWB 3.5 V6, 99 Pathfinder R50 3.3 V6, 98 Defender 90 300 TDi bakkie

Default Re: WK Grand Cherokee VS KK Cherokee

Ive got the 3.0CRD WK. It is a fantastic vehicle, i bought it last year October so dont really know it that well as yet but i got it for a steal at R60k (skim module fault causing it not to start and cost me R15k to repair with new key) with 190k km on the clock. You cant expect much from it with that miles on but the engine is perfect 👌. I also haven't taken it offroad yet. I like buying low retail valued cars, sometimes you get a lot of car for little money.... Oh and injector replacement at agents will set you back another R72k.

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD
    2006 Mitsubishi Colt 3000i V6 (Oubaas) Sold

2006 Mercedes Benz C180

Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth

Thanks!

Wow, sounds like you scored a bargain! This is what I look out for as well, but these don't come by very often and you need to be ready to pull the trigger.
    Re. injector prices, this is the main reason why I'm considering staying away from the diesel, although that 3.0l Merc engine must be a dream to drive. But more like a nightmare to repair

Space-wise, what do you think? Enough space, loads of space? How many people do you pack for?

Thanks again.

previous: 97 Pajero LWB 3.5 V6, 99 Pathfinder R50 3.3 V6, 98 Defender 90 300 TDi bakkie

My WK CRD3.0 is currently at 295K km. Replaced injectors end of last year (three started to drip on idling). Just under R30K for 6 originals from Mercedes dealer. Engine unopened and original turbo.

I don't think the vehicle is expensive to maintain if you take the class of vehicle into account and avoid dealers as far as possible. The challenge is to find one which was well maintained and not abused offroad...

Can't really comment on the KK as I never had one.

Not much packing space in the WK (in comparison to my 2003 Honda CRV and Vito ). Quite large A-pillars which may obscure vision a bit. Mopar oils are a bit pricey. That is basically the only negatives I can think off.

On the positive side: Great cruising and towing vehicle, amazing 4x4 system, nice engine / gearbox combination, good fuel consumption (for vehicle class), value for money second hand (if well looked after). It puts smile on my face whenever I drive it
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GerritS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Fab View Post

Were they so few KKs sold that there are naturally as little for sale second hand?
    Are they such good vehicles that the owners hang on to them?
    The KK was never a top seller which is why we probably don't see that many on the roads. I think it's mainly because of the comparatively high price when new, as they cost nearly as much as a Wrangler.

Also the KK is essentially the older KJ underneath the skin. But the 3.7s are very good vehicles. People probably just prefer the bigger WKs.

As far as the Merc V6 goes, it's a damn good engine. Bulli told me that the Merc injectors isn't even a service item as such. Replacing them isn't as expensive as other comparable vehicles.

It might be a good idea to chat to Bulli as he owned both.

A 3.0 CRD is a fantastic engine. Now I know my jeep can go to 300k km without major issues. My jeep only has 119 000km but I love the 3.0. My friend had a kk and wasn't very impressed at all. The kk is a weird jeep I think the only nice cherokee jeep has ever made is the xj

Not knowing the KK, I have found my WK's packing space somewhat less than my previois WJ so i would guess the KK has even less space. Love the 3.0 CRD V6. Only 52000km on the clock and its my daily drive. When i get to work in the morning and i park it, i always look back and smile....
    Last edited by MikeS; 2017/02/16 at 03:10 PM.
    ----------------------------
    Jeep Grand Cherokee, Current
    Overland CRD 2009 (Oh hell yes!!)
    Mopar Superchip - 200kw 600Nm, 50mm lift, Dick Cepek rims, rear bash plate, Mopar towhitch.

Jeep Grand Cherokee, SOLD
    Laredo, 2004 - V8 4.7L (Oh yes!!)
    2.5" lift, BulliProp!, 245/75/R17 Wrangler A/T's

Audi A4, FOR SALE
    Exec. 2001 - 2L (mmmmm!)

Thank you all, I appreciate all the feedback!

Anyone here with experience owning a KK?

I've had the JK 2.5 diesel, then the WJ 2.7 diesel and now the WK v8 petrol.

The JK was really reliable even though it was a VM motor. Very comfortable and decent offroader after a lift kit.
    packing space was surprisingly very good
    I assume this would be similar in the KK albeit with newer motor.

The WJ was also very reliable, HOWEVER !!!, that merc motor with its kuk injectors ! OH my hat. It was so bad that I will not go diesel ever again ! 4X4 was AWESOME even without a lift. Packing space = very good. A very solid vehicle. Last with SFA

The WK... V8 petrol and its an absolute dream. Reliability is great. 4X4 is the best I've felt. QDII far outperforms any other 4WD systems in SUV's. The comfort and power is incredible. Packing space seems slightly less than the WJ. Interior build quality is lesser than the WJ. I've removed the CATS and installed an aftermarket head unit as well as a CAI. I must admit that the previous 2 Jeeps felt 100% that it had everything I wanted from day 1 and that stock was good enough but somehow, not the WK. There is still 1 or 2 small things that I'd like to change.

All of these vehicles were and still is my daily driving vehicle. I also turn back to look at her after Ive parked, its a Jeep thing !

Taking all this into account, my choice is the WK.

Thanks!

I must say I find my KJ (I'm guessing that you meant KJ, not JK which is the Wrangler) very limited in packing space. That is with my wife and 1 baby... But you know these days, you need to take the whole house with you when you go to the in-laws for dinner.....

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Fab View Post
    Thanks!

I must say I find my KJ (I'm guessing that you meant KJ, not JK which is the Wrangler) very limited in packing space. That is with my wife and 1 baby... But you know these days, you need to take the whole house with you when you go to the in-laws for dinner.....

OOPS!Yes,you're right. KJ

I think in general Jeeps present excellent value as used buys, whichever model you get. Pity there are not more indepent shops around to look after them though.
    Jeep GC WK2 - 3.6L - 8-speed

R30K is much for injectors i got a quote at ua&p for R42k for them. Space wise i came from a Colt double cab so the Jeep is more than enough for me. That merc engine is bulletroof from what I've heard and read, it really is a fantastic SUV. The only issue apart from the skim module was the actuator and wiring harness in the front diff that burned causing the front diff to lock while driving. Performance is spot on you dont need more than what it has to offer. I've had the cat removed just because it takes pressure off the turbo and increases its lifetime. (well thats what i was told...... Monkey see monkey do kinda thing)

2006 Mercedes Benz C180

Very interesting topic. Was also looking at the KK but 2 aspects put me off totally
    1. low ground clearance even with 2" lift
    2. 4 speed auto box

The WK 3.7 V6 had EFS 2" lift and even then would scrape its belly on some bush roads. Really enjoyed the vehicle but the 3.7 just lacked the performance at times. Real pleasure to drive and for overland.

Now got the WK hemi late last year. With 2" OME shocks and coils has more ground clearance than the EFS and rides beautifully.
    2009 WK 5.7, OME 2" suspension, free flow no cats with harmonic chamber

Just fyi the WK CRD uses the same engine as the E320 CDI

2006 Mercedes Benz C180

Quote Originally Posted by skala View Post
    Very interesting topic. Was also looking at the KK but 2 aspects put me off totally
    1. low ground clearance even with 2" lift
    2. 4 speed auto box

The WK 3.7 V6 had EFS 2" lift and even then would scrape its belly on some bush roads. Really enjoyed the vehicle but the 3.7 just lacked the performance at times. Real pleasure to drive and for overland.

Now got the WK hemi late last year. With 2" OME shocks and coils has more ground clearance than the EFS and rides beautifully.

Sooooo... it's an old girl wearing fancy clothes

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Forest Fab For This Useful Post:

I replaced all 6 my injectors for R13000 for reconditioned units.

The recon units are perfect - Bulli installed them.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    I replaced all 6 my injectors for R13000 for reconditioned units.

The recon units are perfect - Bulli installed them.
    From what ive heard they can not be reconditioned? What is the lifetime of the injectors? I know someone who had 325k on the clock without replacing them? (might be thumb sucking info)

2006 Mercedes Benz C180

Quote Originally Posted by MeRodeo View Post
    From what ive heard they can not be reconditioned? What is the lifetime of the injectors? I know someone who had 325k on the clock without replacing them? (might be thumb sucking info)
    That is surprising as my Jeep runs on recon injectors at the moment. First set lasted 290000km.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast