WK Grand Cherokee VS KK Cherokee - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: WK Grand Cherokee VS KK Cherokee

Fuel consumption not bad at all!
    And towing, how much do you get?

Can you post a pic or two?

Thanks!

current: 02 Jeep Cherokee 2.8 CRD swap, and a camping trailer
    previous: 97 Pajero LWB 3.5 V6, 99 Pathfinder R50 3.3 V6, 98 Defender 90 300 TDi bakkie

I love my xk. Slightly bigger than the wk and that's what I need. Handy to have 7 seats and the crd is amazing. Nice power output as well. I think it is 190kw and 380NM

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jeepfamily For This Useful Post:

Hi

When I tow it, 7.5km per leter
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Team Rockhard
    Hard Core Jeep's

Jeep Wrangler TJ - Hers
    Jeep renegade CJ7 - His
    Jeep Willys CJ2A - Boeta / Daugthers
    Jeep Cherokee KJ - Family

7.5km/l towing? This is rather excellent! My 3.5 Pajero gave me that on the highway, going downhill, with a tail wind
    Do you have a chip or anything like that to help the fuel consumption?
    Also, is this based on the on board computer, or do you calculate it when you fill up?

It looks really nice with those rims!

I must say, I like the looks of the KK. The XK has some common styling cues, but it looks like it's on too much steroids.
    My favourite pic of the KK (aouch!):

And it's stunning in black:

edit: any opinions on the Dodge Nitro? Same as the KK as far as I know?
    Last edited by Forest Fab; 2017/02/23 at 12:39 PM.

previous: 97 Pajero LWB 3.5 V6, 99 Pathfinder R50 3.3 V6, 98 Defender 90 300 TDi bakkie

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Fab View Post
    Thanks Dion, you're really adding weight on the diesel side. I'll definitely have to test both CRD and Hemi to make up my mind, and look more closely at the actual world fuel consumption.
    In your opinion, the MDS on the Hemi didn't give such a big improvement?

Going back to the KK, I think I'd look for a manual CRD, but I could also test the 3.7 auto to have a feel for it. At the moment, I'm not too keen on it
    On the open road and without towing and at a constant speed it works. But as soon you need a bit more power you get it with a higher consumption. If you travel a long stretch of relatively flat road it works and on highways with little traffic. But because I tow a lot it did not worked so well for me. The 4.7 was using less. My brother had a 2.8 KJ and loved it until around 180k when he started getting all sorts of problems from the engine side. Maybe he was just unlucky. I prefer the autos and on the 2.8 KJ wasn't the box a five speed? or maybe I remember wrong. We are four brothers with quite a few Jeeps between us mostly Grand Cherokees.
    2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Overland GDE Eco Tune

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:

Sorry I see now

Output is 190kw and 580NM
    it tows well and still fuel efficient. Sadly it doesn't have the same sound ad a hemi bit you don't have to stop at every has station you see

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jeepfamily For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    On the open road and without towing and at a constant speed it works. But as soon you need a bit more power you get it with a higher consumption. If you travel a long stretch of relatively flat road it works and on highways with little traffic. But because I tow a lot it did not worked so well for me. The 4.7 was using less. My brother had a 2.8 KJ and loved it until around 180k when he started getting all sorts of problems from the engine side. Maybe he was just unlucky. I prefer the autos and on the 2.8 KJ wasn't the box a five speed? or maybe I remember wrong. We are four brothers with quite a few Jeeps between us mostly Grand Cherokees.
    I see about the MDS, thanks for the extra details.

As far as I know the KJ was only ever offered with the 4 speed auto, but I could be wrong as I never owned one. I hope I'll never run into the same engine problems. Fingers crossed .

I see about the MDS, thanks for the extra details.

As far as I know the KJ was only ever offered with the 4 speed auto, but I could be wrong as I never owned one. I hope I'll never run into the same engine problems. Fingers crossed .
    My KJ is a 5 speed auto

My bad
    Thanks Kevin!

Hi all,

Absolutely out of curiosity, as I was browsing Gumtree, I realised that there are plenty WKs out there, now reaching "low" prices (around and below the R100k mark) whereas there are hardly any KKs in that price range.
    I didn't go to the length of looking how many WKs and KKs are actually for sale, but I was wondering if someone could shed some light or share their opinion on this tendency?

Were they so few KKs sold that there are naturally as little for sale second hand?
    Are they such good vehicles that the owners hang on to them?

Are the WKs giving issues and their owners are trying to flog them?

Now for those who have/had either of these, what would you say are the main things you like, and the ones you don't like about yours?
    As a daily driver and off road as well.
    Packing space comparison would be interesting too.
    Please specify what engine you have. I'd be tempted of going petrol as diesel is just proving to be more expensive to maintain.

The underlying idea would be that in the long term, either of these could be options for me (or a Disco 3 V8 ). Talking a few years down the line.

Thanks!
    Fab.
    Hi FF, I have the 3.7 kk 2011 and a good all round Jeep IMHO between wrangler and grand,I also wanted a wk but price vs model the kk was the best buy. Old engin and gearbox(4spd) but no big ticket items and best of both worlds expect 6km/l town and 8km/l highway. One big pro acc to me the high roofline in the back can pack alot more than you might think. Off road select track 2 not bad just a bit low like wk too. The post 2011 models look a lot better interior wise. So up to you i would just not go crd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep 86 View Post
    Hi FF, I have the 3.7 kk 2011 and a good all round Jeep IMHO between wrangler and grand,I also wanted a wk but price vs model the kk was the best buy. Old engin and gearbox(4spd) but no big ticket items and best of both worlds expect 6km/l town and 8km/l highway. One big pro acc to me the high roofline in the back can pack alot more than you might think. Off road select track 2 not bad just a bit low like wk too. The post 2011 models look a lot better interior wise. So up to you i would just not go crd.
    Thanks , I appreciate the feedback.
    Where I stand at the moment, I'd be looking at something cheap. And at this point, there are a lot more WKs in that bracket than KKs unfortunately. even some XKs in between.
    What I still need to do is test drive one (or more) of each to see how much I like them, and make my own list of pros and cons.
    Packing space would be nice, because baby and also a bicycle, it's just so convenient to be able to fit it whole in the back of the car.
    Do you have pics of your KK maybe?
    Thanks!

Nice XK for sale in Cape Town. I think he will accept an offer of R120k

https://www.olx.co.za/ad/jeep-comman...tml#1dee1b6545

Quote Originally Posted by Bosuil View Post
    Nice XK for sale in Cape Town. I think he will accept an offer of R120k

https://www.olx.co.za/ad/jeep-comman...tml#1dee1b6545
    Too far, too expensive, but thank you

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3