Garmin BaseCamp - Tips & Tricks - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: Garmin BaseCamp - Tips & Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Ross View Post
    Thanks. Mine does not do that.
    1. When I 'select' and right click the drop down does not have 'open'. I do have 'properties' for individual tracks but when I have the 'groups' selected the Properties label is not useable.
    I now find I can get around it by 'joining tracks' and then 'properties' works and I can change colour for the selected group and save that. That is a step forward for which thanks but it would be so much easier of one could just change the default.
    2. My device is Nuvi 2440 (i think, it's in the car down stairs) and I don't see any setting for auto timezone. I will take a look next time I am in the car. It does sound logical to have that.

Thanks again.

AR
    I just looked at your picture again. You are in Mapsource, not Basecamp? Is this correct? Post 3 explains from Basecamp.

Yes. I am using Mapsource. I had been told that Basecamp was no longer supported.
    Albert

Progress might have been alright once, but it has gone on too long.

Yes. I am using Mapsource. I had been told that Basecamp was no longer supported.
    I think its visa versa!!

Ah. Mine works slightly different.
    I just plug in the device to PC and then search for 'archive' and or 'current' and then copy them to a folder on PC.
    When I work on that and go to close, I get the option to 'save this version' and I just 'Save as xx' and this leaves the original intact.
    Below is the reason for working slightly different

Both MapSource and BaseCamp is discontinued.

The last update for MapSource was v6.16.3 on 25 Ocktober 2010

The last update for BaseCamp was v4.7.0 on 23 May 2018
    Last edited by KobusDJ; 2019/08/05 at 06:35 AM.
    Kobus

Nissan

As Kobus states correctly Mapsource and Basecamp will not be updated again. In saying that, as Mapsource is still working, Basecamp will also continue to work. If you are used to Mapsource the change over to Basecamp might be daunting. But it must be said that Basecamp does have a couple of nice features that is not available in Mapsource. And if you put your mind to it, there is very little you can do in Mapsource that cannot be done somehow in Basecamp.

To a certain degree Basecamp was the life after Mapsource. It now seems as if Garmin Explore will be the life after Basecamp. How this life will be, will have to be "explored". It seems that at this stage as if it has limited compatibility to sync/talk to GPS units and chances are good that it will not be compatible with older devices.

Maybe, one day, there will be a Garmin Explore Tips & Tricks thread. But until then I will continue to use Basecamp as it does want I want to do now. And I still learn new "tricks" as I use it.

Cheers.

30 October 2019 Garmin released an update for Basecamp (version 4.7.1)

Quote Originally Posted by Choppie81 View Post
    Yes, I did the update but did not have much time to read up on the changes. The little I did worked the same. I wonder if the map transfer issue was addressed?

I use BaseCamp mostly for searching a place etc, rest is a bit unorganized for me. Still do all my planning with Mapsource . Garmin Explore looks promising.
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/11/11 at 06:39 PM.
    Johan Kriel

LCs, Hilux and Echo Chobe

Just also something to watch for - My apple is an older version and I have kept an older operating system. However the new map source does not work with the older versions of the apple operating systems and nobody had an older version of map sources, it took a while to track down, but it was a mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Choppie81 View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up!
    However, after all the years I still prefer Mapsource.
    Guillaume
    Fortuner Epic 4.0 V6 AT

Hi guys. Please help me out here. Don't know if I'm just missing a setting or something stupid.

How do I change the zoom settings on Basecamp? When I open Basecamp and zoom in to 50km, when the features are displayed, it's dominated by landmarks and picnic spots. See attached screenshot.

I want to plan accommodation, but in order to see the lodging features, I have to zoom in all the way to 1km before the icons/features become visible.This is not ideal when you plan your route and overnight stops.

I know how to change this on the GPS, but how/where do you change it on Basecamp?

Ta
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50km zoom.PNG 
Views:	43 
Size:	509.1 KB 
ID:	551145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1km zoom.PNG 
Views:	42 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	551146  
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

Hi Wessie,

You can set the detail level in Basecamp - on the top of your screen you should have a drop down menu where you can select either "highest / higher / high / medium / low / lower / lowest". You appear to be on the highest detail level, if you change that to "higher" the picnic spots, etc. will disappear. Problem is together with that the accommodation icons disappear too!

You can overcome that by selecting "find - find points of interest" - a bar will appear on the right hand side of your screen, at the top it will say "all points of interest" with a little down arrow next to that. Click on the down arrow and scroll down to "lodging". A list of lodging poi's will appear on the right, with numbers next to them. These numbers correspond to points on the map. If you pan the map, just click on refresh, and the new poi's for lodging will appear.

I hope that helps.

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Thanks Lizette, but still not very user friendly or helping the cause.

Even if I deselect everything except "lodging" in the activity profile display setting, I still have to zoom in to 1km before the lodging icons appears.

Is this a T4A or Basecamp limitation?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

Hi Wessie,

By following the path I described, I can see the lodging points even at 100km - I have set my detail level to "higher" instead of "highest" so the picnic spots etc. don't appear at 50km zoom level. You mention changing the activity profile settings - I did not change anything on my activity profile, only on the detail level. I'm not sure if I misunderstand you! I attach a screenshot of what my Basecamp looks like following the path I described.

Basecamp determines at what zoom level to turn which icons on and off - I'm not an expert on the actual building of the map, but I will ask if there is a way around it when everybody is back from leave next year!

Regards

Lizette
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Wessie View Post
    Thanks Lizette, but still not very user friendly or helping the cause.

Even if I deselect everything except "lodging" in the activity profile display setting, I still have to zoom in to 1km before the lodging icons appears.

Is this a T4A or Basecamp limitation?
    Play a bit with 'map control' in 'View'? . Mine is in Auto and you dont see all those icons. When 'On' it appears.
    I find it easier to go into 'Find', 'Find Options' to get a list of what ever you want to see.
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/12/18 at 11:46 AM.
    Johan Kriel

LCs, Hilux and Echo Chobe

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5