Overlanding - A Dream about to come true

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Overlanding - A Dream about to come true

We all have hopes and dreams, we are all born to be fighters, winners and successors, and even the man begging at the robots has dreams. Some of us follow our dreams and work at it and some just don’t.

Well, as everyone else, we also have a dream, and our dream was born out of our love for the nature, 4X4 and Christmas in Germany. In December 2006 we decided that we would like to combine all these dreams and make it a reality. But we wanted to do it with a difference. Any person can jump on a plane and fly to Germany for Christmas, any person can go and spend time a week or two in the bush and any person can go to a 4x4 track and have some fun. That is not what we wanted. We wanted to travel through Africa and experience all of Africa, our dream was to travel from Johannesburg to Berlin (Germany) by car!

After establishing what we both want, our needs and desires, we got all excited. We knew that this is going to take a lot of planning, experience, time and for sure the “evil” money subject. Now we had to sit down and decide, what our biggest challenge is going to be.
    Well, we are sure that you all will agree, we have to first earn the money and that it was going to be a lot of saving, saving and more saving. There were also the challenges like communication, what vehicle would be the best for the trip (taking into consideration availability of parts etc.), how long will the trip take us (duration of being away from home and work), which will be the best time to do the trip, when to be in which country to avoid rainy seasons etc. and then off course, availability of fuel along the road. And then the biiiggg question was off course, what is this all going to cost us at the end of the day?

Soo many questions that we needed to find answers for!

To achieve this dream, we had to find many answers, considering we did not even know what our plans will be and where to start planning all of this. We knew it was going to be a lot of hard work and dedication to achieve this goal. Our vehicle at this stage (a Nissan Terrano II 2.7 TD) we gathered to be the perfect car to do this trip in. Spares were available everywhere and we trusted the vehicle. So question 1 was sorted at least.

Then question 2 arise. What we want to achieve with this trip, what do we want to do and what is our goal?
    Well this was not too difficult to answer either. We do not want to rush and get there, just to say we have done it. We want to do the trip with no time limitations. We want to see and experience as much as possible. If we are going to do this, we are going to make the best out of it. Well as you can imagine, the budget got bigger and bigger and the time away from home more and more.

In 2008 we made contact with another German couple that had the same idea as us. This was really exciting, our excitement grew even bigger at this stage, joining forces with someone else with the same dreams and goals as yours, wow, we could not ask for more. Some serious planning started after this and it looked like we were going to realize this dream of ours. We all decided that we were going to leave on the 1st of April 2010. We at this stage did a few high risk investments, so that our returns would be good, as we did not have a lot of time left. Our dream crashed right in front of our eyes when we woke up one morning and saw that the stock exchange value dropped down to nothing (2009), and we lost almost all our savings. This cancelled all our plans for 2010, but not our dream, it was just a huge setback.

As the saying goes, quitters never win and winners never quits! We are winners and we were not going to allow this setback to destroy our dream. We decided that it will take a little longer to achieve this dream but we will achieve it. Savings had to start all over again.

We soon concluded that the Terrano was going to be too old by the time we will be starting our trip. We had to start looking for a new vehicle. Luckily this time around it was an easy decision. Our needs and wants were simple. We wanted a SUV, it had to be a diesel, have enough power and must be able to handle the roads. Speed was not an issue in our consideration. Remember we want to take it slow. Who can guess what vehicle we bought? Yip that’s right, we were lucky enough to find a LandCruiser LX 4.2D with low millage, and partly kitted. When we saw the vehicle we knew that this is exactly what we need and want! Now the playing started (also the spending…lol). We did quite a few upgrades and changes to it, and modified it so that it is suitable and comfortable for us and for sure for the road conditions we will be traveling to Berlin.

We were honored to meet Stan (Slow Donkey) and we learned a lot from him, we also did a lot of reading and research on overlanding trips. By doing all of this we have finally established that the trip will take us about a year to conclude.

Rules, Rules and Rules, yes people say Rules are meant to broken….Well we had to put a few into place for ourselves to ensure that we will have a pleasurable trip with as little hiccups as possible during our travels. So here goes!

1. We will not be rushed on our trip at all
    2. That we will work on an average of 40km/h real speed (including stops), which would mean that we could never travel more than 240km per day, as this would be a 6 hour trip.
    3. That we will not camp anywhere for less than 2 nights, so we would have a chance to experience the area.
    4. That we would do our best to find a decent shower at least once a week. (This was on my wife’s request list)

Realization of being on the road for 9 months at least, raised some other awareness’s with us. We will have to live out of our car for this period of time. Where to put everything was another issue. We decided to rather purchase a 4x4 Explorer so we would at least have some luxury along the road, and this decision was also based on other factors like, being safe to the normal natural factors along the way. We purchased the Explorer, and we loved it, and it most certainly felt like the answer to our questions.

In 2015 we took the explorer on a test run with a few friends down the Oranje River via Klein Pella, Groothoutmelkboom, up to the coast and then down the coast via Boulders, Tittiesbaai and back via Sutherland. We did only sand roads and off-road. We were extremely impressed with the Cruiser & Explorer combination. However, and very sorry to say, we soon realised that it was not the answer for our trip to Berlin through Africa. There is sooo many areas that we would not be able to access with the Explorer, because of thick sands and river crossings. Having a weight of 1,700kg behind you is no fun. We however were determined to go with some kind of caravan or trailer, so we decided to go for the CampTech Trailer. This trailer has a lot less weight, the body is made of Fibreglass, it had a water tank, and it is quite easy to put up and has enough room to stay dry in those rainy days. We built in a battery system with a 12V circuit to run the necessary lights and fridges.

Now the testing started all over again. We went traveling, as this is what we love. We did a few trips combining Beach to Dune sand, Rocky area and River Crossings and it all worked very well. The trailer also gave us the necessary space and protection we needed.

Now we really have to start working at this trip, we need to see if we will make it, not only physically, but also mentally. What to get where, when and how. There is so many rules in the African Countries regarding for example, meat and vegetables etc. that we need to test how, when and where to buy new stock, what to look out for etc. We started planning a 60 day trip from South Africa to Botswana, into the Caprivi, across to the Kunene down the Kaokoveld and Damaraland in Namibia.

This trip will proof to us, what is working, what is missing, and what we are carrying around with us that we never use or need (as per Slow Donkey). We need to carry as little as possible but plan for as long as possible ahead. All of this we need to now first go and test.

We have already worked out our itinerary for this trip this year and it is as follows:

Our itinerary for this trip is attached and hopefully with your advice we can make it even more interesting

Our Future Plans are:

September/October 2017: A test trip to the Namaqua Land to see the flowers and enjoy the Richterveld.

After this we will hopefully know what we can and can’t do, what we missing, or have too much off.

1st of April 2019 we leaving Johannesburg on our trip to Berlin, and if all goes well, we will have Christmas in 2019 in Germany.

We would really appreciate any feedback for our fellow forum members, regarding any extra information that would make our trips more interesting and enjoyable.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Elly; 2017/02/09 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Itinerary missing
    Elly
    4x4 Naturist
    Land Cruiser 76LX & Explorer
    Alberton, Gauteng

Default Re: Overlanding - A Dream about to come true

Subscribed. Sounds like fun.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Plan as far as possible, but I think you will know by now that you will change those plans frequently as situations, conditions and common sense dictates - it is Africa after all.
    Good luck and keep us posted!

Sounds like fun! We had some memorable trips with our Camptech Camper. Which one did you get?
    Good luck with the planning
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Sounds like fun! We had some memorable trips with our Camptech Camper. Which one did you get?
    Good luck with the planning
    We basically got the weekender, but changed to kitchen to a storage place. Thank you
    Elly
    4x4 Naturist
    Alberton, Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Rustie View Post
    Plan as far as possible, but I think you will know by now that you will change those plans frequently as situations, conditions and common sense dictates - it is Africa after all.
    Good luck and keep us posted!
    Yip, a German stuck in Africa, LOL, and I love it!
    Elly
    4x4 Naturist
    Alberton, Gauteng

Good for you! Happy planning. We did almost the same trip across Africa as you are planning, but in the other direction from the UK. We were on the road for 14 months through 18 African countries (and three European countries).

The only thing I would say - and I think Stan and Tony Weaver will agree with me - is think seriously about taking a trailer. It will limit where you can go, is likely to cause more problems, and will increase your costs. We fitted everything we needed in our Land Rover Defender - and we left the back seats in place for friends and family who joined us for sections of our 65,000 km trip. So, we carried enough kit for four people - everything including the kitchen sink and a shower - and were not overloaded or uncomfortable.

Less is more...

Safari njema!
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2017/02/09 at 03:54 PM.

Or, indeed, the thought of driving with a trailer through the likes of Dar es Salaam, Kampala, Mombasa, Nairobi, Addis Ababa or (shudder) Cairo brings me out in a cold sweat...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

I think you will regret towing a trailer over that distance.

Elly, I am pleased to see that your plans are finally coming to fruition. Fantastic. I think your plan to do some local trips first is excellent. Use these as an opportunity to eliminate any kit/luggage not frequently used. I am definitely of the school that would not take a trailer on the long trip, double trouble!

If you plan to spend a decent amount of time in the magnificent but expensive East African game parks, visit Zanzibar, see the chimps and gorillas and have the very occasional night in a little luxury, work on a budget of about US$100 for the two of you per day. If you are more budget conscious then you can do it for US$75.

Your daily distances traveled are governed more by the distance between carefully chosen campsites. On occasion you might have to cover more than 240km in a day but not all that much further. Also some stay-overs are really worth only one night. As far as traveling with others, this must be on a clearly understood easy come, easy go basis. This will enable all to indulge there own preferences and be flexible, joining up later. You will be able to have a decent shower at least every second night, take a camp shower with too.

You do not state when you plan to do your Bots/Nam trip? Presumably still this year? If so you need to book real soon and may even be too late for some places in Botswana, Namibia probably requires no booking.

Just some possibilities to consider for the Bots/Namibia trip. I realize you are not keen to change campsites too often and agree with this sentiment. However there are some places it would be a pity to miss out on.

Nights 2-3, Khama: One night should be enough there, if you are only going to Khumaga then there is time for a full early morning drive to see the rhinos at Khama before leaving.
    Nights 4-6: I think 3 nights is too much at Khumaga. Try to fit in South Camp at Nxai for 2 nights, 1 less at Khumaga and steal one from later.
    Nights 8-11: Rather than all 4 nights at Khwai split between Third Bridge and Khwai. Steal 1 extra night from later.
    Nights 14-16: Rather than 3 nights at Chobe Safari Lodge, spend 2 at Ihaha (steal from later) and only 2 at Chobe and even then rather stay at Senyati Safari Camp.
    Nights 28-32: Why 5 nights at Kupferquelle? Three or even 2 should be enough. Perhaps steal nights here for Nxai/Third Bridge/Ihaha?
    Nights 39-39. One night should be enough in Ruacana. Kunene River Lodge on the way along the Kunene is wonderful and warrants at least 2 nights. For instance you do not need 2 nights at Marble.
    Nights 43-44: Instead of 2 nights at van Zyl's Pass community campsite at the start of van Zyl's, spend one of these 2 nights camped at the top of van Zyl's. There are a couple of places to camp there and I heard there is some sort of community camp on top now. Pete at Kunene River Lodge will be able to advise. This way you can make the most of van Zyl's.

Keep this thread going. I received a tremendous amount of help from forum members and there is an excellent group of East African contributors.

Your biggest decision of all is how to ship your vehicle Africa (Egypt) to Europe. I would start inquiring now.
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2017/02/09 at 06:03 PM.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    Or, indeed, the thought of driving with a trailer through the likes of Dar es Salaam, Kampala, Mombasa, Nairobi, Addis Ababa or (shudder) Cairo brings me out in a cold sweat...
    I am not so sure where the problem lies.
    I had one extreme situation that we towed a Nissan Patrol (blown motor) with a off-road trailer behind the Nissan Safari 4.2 TD.
    The catch was we hit Lusaka peak traffic about 4:30PM and towed all the way from the Ndola-Kitwe road through the centre to Eureka camp on the Kafue side.

We took it slowly and made it through without a hitch changing lanes around traffic circles and all.

If you can do this with a contraption of almost 15 meters in length then nothing is unsettling you any further.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    Good for you! Happy planning. We did almost the same trip across Africa as you are planning, but in the other direction from the UK. We were on the road for 14 months through 18 African countries (and three European countries).

The only thing I would say - and I think Stan and Tony Weaver will agree with me - is think seriously about taking a trailer. It will limit where you can go, is likely to cause more problems, and will increase your costs. We fitted everything we needed in our Land Rover Defender - and we left the back seats in place for friends and family who joined us for sections of our 65,000 km trip. So, we carried enough kit for four people - everything including the kitchen sink and a shower - and were not overloaded or uncomfortable.

Less is more...

Safari njema!
    Thank you very much for your advice, and yes, we hear you. Most people have told us the same, but we will have better answers after we have done the 2 month trip, that we going to test everything.
    Lets look at if from another side, what is the worst that could happen with the trailer, and that would be that we would have to leave it somewhere to collect it sometime again, but more about it, once we have been through Chobe, vanZyl's pass, Kaokoland and the Namib. It certainly should give us an indication to what is possible.
    Thanks again for your advice.
    Elly
    4x4 Naturist
    Alberton, Gauteng

I thought I was like steel about driving in African cities until Cairo. Completely lunatic! Lusaka is like a small village in comparison...

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Elly, I am pleased to see that your plans are finally coming to fruition. Fantastic. I think your plan to do some local trips first is excellent. Use these as an opportunity to eliminate any kit/luggage not frequently used. I am definitely of the school that would not take a trailer on the long trip, double trouble!

If you plan to spend a decent amount of time in the magnificent but expensive East African game parks, visit Zanzibar, see the chimps and gorillas and have the very occasional night in a little luxury, work on a budget of about US$100 for the two of you per day. If you are more budget conscious then you can do it for US$75.

Your daily distances traveled are governed more by the distance between carefully chosen campsites. On occasion you might have to cover more than 240km in a day but not all that much further. Also some stay-overs are really worth only one night. As far as traveling with others, this must be on a clearly understood easy come, easy go basis. This will enable all to indulge there own preferences and be flexible, joining up later. You will be able to have a decent shower at least every second night, take a camp shower with too.

You do not state when you plan to do your Bots/Nam trip? Presumably still this year? If so you need to book real soon and may even be too late for some places in Botswana, Namibia probably requires no booking.

Just some possibilities to consider for the Bots/Namibia trip. I realize you are not keen to change campsites too often and agree with this sentiment. However there are some places it would be a pity to miss out on.

Nights 2-3, Khama: One night should be enough there, if you are only going to Khumaga then there is time for a full early morning drive to see the rhinos at Khama before leaving.
    Nights 4-6: I think 3 nights is too much at Khumaga. Try to fit in South Camp at Nxai for 2 nights, 1 less at Khumaga and steal one from later.
    Nights 8-11: Rather than all 4 nights at Khwai split between Third Bridge and Khwai. Steal 1 extra night from later.
    Nights 14-16: Rather than 3 nights at Chobe Safari Lodge, spend 2 at Ihaha (steal from later) and only 2 at Chobe and even then rather stay at Senyati Safari Camp.
    Nights 28-32: Why 5 nights at Kupferquelle? Three or even 2 should be enough. Perhaps steal nights here for Nxai/Third Bridge/Ihaha?
    Nights 39-39. One night should be enough in Ruacana. Kunene River Lodge on the way along the Kunene is wonderful and warrants at least 2 nights. For instance you do not need 2 nights at Marble.
    Nights 43-44: Instead of 2 nights at van Zyl's Pass community campsite at the start of van Zyl's, spend one of these 2 nights camped at the top of van Zyl's. There are a couple of places to camp there and I heard there is some sort of community camp on top now. Pete at Kunene River Lodge will be able to advise. This way you can make the most of van Zyl's.

Keep this thread going. I received a tremendous amount of help from forum members and there is an excellent group of East African contributors.

Your biggest decision of all is how to ship your vehicle Africa (Egypt) to Europe. I would start inquiring now.
    Thanks a lot Stan, will look at your suggestions on the computer over the weekend, on the phone it is really difficult, and then we will get back to you.
    Just shortly, we going to take it easy, but if we get bored, we carry on, not much that cant be changed during the trip. We also working on 120 dollars a day, as we would prefer to miss nothing that could be of any enjoyment to us, smile.

Thanks again Stan, and yes, we will do our best to keep this alive all the time up to Jan 2020, as it is a long path to go, sharing our experiences will be fun, and good advice is always welcome.
    Elly
    4x4 Naturist
    Alberton, Gauteng

Elly,

This will be a trip to remember and really is the stuff that dreams are made off!

Keep your eye on the ball now, you are so close!

As already asked, when time allows, please keep us folks back home updated as often as possible.

Make this thread your day to day diary and post your daily experiences for us to drool over.

PS, very curious as to know whether you've managed to work out a solution with your solar setup?
    Last edited by Die SwartKat; 2017/02/09 at 08:38 PM.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

Finalisation of the 1st Test Trip - Botswana & Namibia

Our 1st Test Trip is just about finalised and if all goes well, we will be leaving on the 15th of April 2017.

Thank you very much for all the support so far with the planning, campsites, etc.

Kind regards
    Elly
    4x4 Naturist
    Alberton, Gauteng

Hi there Stan

Thank you very much for your detailed reply, we do really appreciate it.Sorry for the late reply, but today is the first opportunity that we actually have, to reply to you, and have all the data at hand.

Your Comment: “Elly, I am pleased to see that your plans are finally coming to fruition.Fantastic. I think your plan to do some local trips first is excellent. Use these as an opportunity to eliminate any kit/luggage not frequently used. I am definitely of the school that would not take a trailer on the long trip, double trouble!”

Cannot agree with you more Stan, it's always the best to do test trips first, to make sure that you have everything you need, and to get rid of all those things that you carry around with you, but never use, or you could possibly purchase along the trip as you need, those need to be sorted out.
    Also,for us, its very important that we have to sort out the psychological impact of the trip on us as people. As we are very sociable people,and enjoy having other people around us, it certainly will have an impact on us,, being with each other, yet being alone for such a longtime.
    Remember,this trip is there to test a lot of situations and equipment, we have been to Botswana and Namibia on various occasions in the past – We have done about the same trip 11 years ago, but then we were a lot younger, different vehicle, and we were a group of 3 vehicles.
    So, YES, it will be a great holiday, but we will go out of our way to do things to test ourselves, our vehicle and our travelling abilities, eg Servicing the car, bearings, etc, next to the road.
    Yes, we understand everybody's concern about the trailer being an extra hassle, but we are going to try and see. We have chosen this specific trailer very carefully. Firstly, as it hardly has got any weight, no brakes to keep you back when you have to reverse in the thick sand or uphill, and it is basically only a place to sleep.
    We have tried the RTT, but as our Cruiser is lifted quite a bit, the weight of the RTT is a serious problem as far as the centre of gravity goes.

Your Comment: “Your daily distances travelled are governed more by the distance between carefully chosen campsites. On occasion you might have to cover more than 240km in a day but not all that much further.”

Yes, we have to totally agree with you on the distance/time issues for some campsites, etc, but we only use this as a guideline, and from what we can see, in principle you agree with us.

Your Comment: “Also some stay-overs are really worth only one night.”

We understand your view on this, but to be quite honest with you, we not sure if we agree with you on this one. Our view on this is that as long as we are in the bush, relaxed, etc, we not in a hurry to get anywhere. We would love to get the feel, the atmosphere of the area. Also normally the quieter places gives you the time to do those things that you need to do, like washing, etc. The really nice thing is that we can change our plans as we go along, as we did not book many camping sites. We do not want the stress point, of we have to go or we have to stay because of a booking. The itinerary we drew up is only a guideline for ourselves as to where we are going and what time frame in terms of our travelling we would need. Anything can and will change along the route we are sure off.

Your Comment: “As far as travelling with others, this must be on a clearly understood easy come, easy go basis. This will enable all to indulge there own preferences and be flexible, joining up later. You will be able to have a decent shower at least every second night, take a camp shower with too.

We can only agree with you on this one – and yes, the camp shower is ready to be packed.

Your Comment: “You do not state when you plan to do your Bots/Nam trip? Presumably still this year? If so you need to book real soon and may even be too late for some places in Botswana, Namibia probably requires no booking.

Sorry, we must have missed that one – we leaving the latest on the 15th April 2017

It's all not so easy at the moment, our idea was to leave at the beginning of April, and we still might, but we should become “Grand Parents” again by the end of March, beginning of April, and this pushed our planning out a bit – depending on what happens, we might still leave earlier in April - all depending on baby.

Your Comment: “Just some possibilities to consider for the Bots/Namibia trip. I realise you are not keen to change campsites too often and agree with this sentiment. However there are some places it would be a pity to miss out on.

We don't want the stress over bookings, (to get there in time, etc), so nope, 90% of the trip is not booked, but we have booked in Chobe for the nights at Khwai and Suvati, as they sound quite busy during that time. Any other suggestions from you would be highly appreciated and we surely will look into them.

Your Comment: “Nights 2-3, Khama: One night should be enough there, if you are only going to Khumaga then there is time for a full early morning drive to seethe rhinos at Khama before leaving.”

Our idea was to do a day trip from here to the Central Kalahari Game Reserve, leaving the trailer at the base.

Your Comment: “Nights 4-6: I think 3 nights is too much at Khumaga. Try to fit in South Camp at Nxai for 2 nights, 1 less at Khumaga and steal one from later.

That has been booked, so there is not much we can do about that anymore, just remember from our trip in 2005 that we enjoyed the privacy of the campsites and the wild life around there a lot. We have been to Nxai twice already – but anyway thanks for the tip.

Your Comment: “Nights 8-11: Rather than all 4 nights at Khwai split between Third Bridge and Khwai. Steal 1 extra night from later.

We had the same idea and can only agree with you, but bookings did not fit the way we wanted them.

Your Comment: “Nights 14-16: Rather than 3 nights at Chobe Safari Lodge, spend 2 at Ihaha(steal from later) and only 2 at Chobe and even then rather stay at Senyati Safari Camp.

You are right – we will change it – as we have not booked at Chobe Safari Lodge.

Your Comment: Nights 28-32: Why 5 nights at Kupferquelle? Three or even 2 should be enough. Perhaps steal nights here for Nxai/Third Bridge/Ihaha?

Here the wife comes in, Washing needs to be done, cleaning up, Replenish Stock etc. and we have some friends that live there, that we have not seen in years.
    Day trips are planned to Waterberg Plateau, etc.

Your Comment: Nights 39-39. One night should be enough in Ruacana. Kunene River Lodge on the way along the Kunene is wonderful and warrants at least 2 nights. For instance you do not need 2 nights at Marble.

We have removed 1 night at Ruacana and added the 2 nights at Kunene River Lodge – looks very interesting, thanks for the tip.

Your Comment: Nights 43-44: Instead of 2 nights at van Zyl's Pass community campsite at the start of van Zyl's, spend one of these 2 nights camped at the top of van Zyl's. There are a couple of places to camp there and I heard there is some sort of community camp on top now. Pete at Kunene River Lodge will be able to advise. This way you can make the most of van Zyl's.

Thanks a lot, will speak to him as well, and will take it as it comes.

Your Comment: Keep this thread going. I received a tremendous amount of help from forum members and there is an excellent group of East African contributors.

Thanks to you and all the other contributors, we will certainly try our best, hope to keep it interesting enough for others to contribute,but we sure once the first test trip starts, it will become a lot more alive.

Elly
    4x4 Naturist
    Alberton, Gauteng

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Elly For This Useful Post:

Safari njema!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Sounds like a great trip and we will be doing similar through the Americas in 2019 also towing a trailer, as for towing through Africa we had no need at the time but would as we have done so through most of Australia including the Canning Stock Route, agree we don't quite have the chaotic cities others describe...but thought the attached should give you some inspiration...

https://expeditionportal.com/capetow...kes-on-africa/

cheers

Tim

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoogs For This Useful Post:

Hi there again
    After all the negative comments in regards to us going with a trailer on our tours, we decided to put it to the test.
    We joined the 4x4 Fun day hosted by Sa Adventure at Hennops Off-Road 4x4 trail.
    You can image the look on the people’s faces when they heard that we planning to do the trail with a trailer, the same as we got on the forum.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arriving at Hennops.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	437825

We got comments like –
    you will never make it, it’s too heavy;
    you will get stuck;
    the trail is too rough;
    etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	during testing.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	437824

Happy to report that we made full the trail without any problem at all, and we had great fun doing it.
    We are now positive that we will make the trip without any serious problems due to the trailer we are towing.
    Elly
    4x4 Naturist
    Alberton, Gauteng

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Elly For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast