JNB to Kgalagadi advice please

Default JNB to Kgalagadi advice please

Hi all,

We are travelling from JNB to Kgalagadi at the end of April. Due to bad planning (!) we can’t get a reservation in Kgalagadi until 6 days after we arrive in JNB. We’ll use these 6 days to travel slowly to the park.

Could I ask you all which route would be the most interesting, bearing in mind we’ve already travelled the direct route via Upington and would like to do something different.

Ideally we would like to enter at Mabuasehube – but can you drive the Bosobogolo trail with one vehicle and in that direction? Also TFA are giving a travel time of 8 hours from the gate to Nossob, and since we can’t get a reservation at Nossob I think that’s going to be a problem. We’d have liked to stay in Mabua, but I believe that is also for 2 vehicles travelling together only (can anyone confirm? Anyone in same position with one vehicle needing a travelling companion for that section?)

Alternatively, does the B211 following the border on the Botswana side have anything to offer? (Werda to Tweerivieren showing 450km approx. 6 hours on TFA). We like places like Limpopo River Lodge (Tuli) – simple acco where you could just relax and see a bit of wildlife. I’ve seen on these pages recommendations for Cornwall Lodge near Werda, something like that would be fine. Images from Google Earth seem to show barren land, though, but maybe there are some hidden gems??

Or … do we drive up the A2 to Kang and try the route to Kaa Gate? (and is there anywhere to camp just outside Kaa gate?)

Or … if it comes to it, is there anywhere interesting to stay along the N14 from Gauteng to Upington?

All suggestions welcome, we can do the travel calculations but there’s nothing like on-the-ground experience to tell us what the surroundings are like!

after a bit more research .... rethinking the last point and route from JNB, has anyone stayed at Vanzylsrus hotel and crossed the border at Middelputs? This is what the hotel say on their website:

This is now officially the shortest, most scenic and comfortable route to the Kgalagadi travelling from any destination east of the Kgalagadi (Gauteng, Limpopo province, North West, Kwazulu Natal, Orange Freestate and Northern Province) Bring your passport and travel on one of the best tar roads that you have seen in a long time! (no potholes or Metro Police!!) Exit Van Zylsrus and travel 40km west to the nearest Botswana borderpost (Middelputs). Enter Botswana at Middelputs and travel via tar road to Bokspits (about 180Km). Enter into RSA again at the Gemsbok borderpost and you are a mere 70km from the Park!! Friendly, efficient and no-nonsense border staff wil see you through in a flash and no bribe money is neccassary! The cost is in the region of R150 per vehicle (once-off).
    Last edited by daj; 2017/02/07 at 07:58 PM. Reason: add more information

Default Re: JNB to Kgalagadi advice please

Also consider staying at Kgalagadi Lodge just outside the park at Twee Rivieren and then enter as day visitor. Other members will probably chip in with answers to your specific question.

Enjoy your visit.
    Tobie Oosthuizen
    Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS 4X4
    RSI canopy & Frontrunner Slimline roofrack

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tobie4x4 For This Useful Post:

daj

Quote Originally Posted by Tobie4x4 View Post
    Also consider staying at Kgalagadi Lodge just outside the park at Twee Rivieren and then enter as day visitor. Other members will probably chip in with answers to your specific question.

Enjoy your visit.
    Thanks, that's a good idea, I don't think that lodge was there when we last passed through a few years ago.

If you want to travel to Kgalagadi via Mabua then you will need bookings in Mabua- you might be too late. Contact Bots Footprints or NDM to book.

rethinking the last point and route from JNB, has anyone stayed at Vanzylsrus hotel and crossed the border at Middelputs? This is what the hotel say on their website:

Not this but I have stayed in Kathuand crossed into Middleputs and then into TR from there. I have also done the reverse through Gemsbok and up to Mabua

The rd from tsabong down to Two rivers is a gem to travel, not boring at all. New tar.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

daj

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    If you want to travel to Kgalagadi via Mabua then you will need bookings in Mabua- you might be too late. Contact Bots Footprints or NDM to book.
    I know it's a bit late! But do we need to be 2 vehicles??

Northern route = yes

Southern route - no
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

daj

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    rethinking the last point and route from JNB, has anyone stayed at Vanzylsrus hotel and crossed the border at Middelputs? This is what the hotel say on their website:

Not this but I have stayed in Kathuand crossed into Middleputs and then into TR from there. I have also done the reverse through Gemsbok and up to Mabua

The rd from tsabong down to Two rivers is a gem to travel, not boring at all. New tar.
    Stranger, thanks for your answer, do you know how easy is it to criss-cross the borders? If we cross into Bots from SA at Bray, then back to SA at McArthurs Rest or Middleputs (just for night accommodation), then back into Bots to do the road you mention (Tsabong down to Two rivers) - is the border crossing procedure easy enough or will we waste hours on formalities? (Having a problem to find acco on Bots side)
    Last edited by daj; 2017/02/14 at 07:39 PM.

Besides Bots parks try these people below they might have a plan in MABUA area.

Please note that as of the 29th December 2016 Inter-Tourism Group (Pty) Ltd is managing Mabuasehube Pan and Mpayathutlwa campsites at Transfronteir/Mabuasehube Park and will be receiving all camping fees for Mabuasehube Pan and Mpayathuthwa campsites. Park entry fees are still collected by the Department of Wildlife and National Parks. Note that this change will not affect any existing valid bookings.

For all your bookings please email [email protected] or [email protected] and [email protected] .

Thank you and compliments for the new season. Should you wish to contact me please do not hesitate to call me on +267 71557665.

Regards

Sean

Hi
    On your way to the KTP make a stop over at Van Zylsrus Hotel http://www.vanzylsrushotel.com/index.php?p=25 and enjoy the very nice food....get up early next morning and go and visit the Kalahari Meerkat Project http://kalahari-meerkats.com/kmp/ go back for a nice breakfast and a relaxing day...or move on...
    I did it last autmn and i think im going to do it again this autmn.
    Feel free to ask for more information...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161001_132922.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	435601   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161001_134806.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	435602   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161001_132942.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	163.8 KB 
ID:	435603   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4539.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	435604   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161001_132828.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	435606   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161001_132820.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	195.7 KB 
ID:	435607   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4526.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	435608   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4509.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	435609  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161002_073238.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	435610   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161002_073302.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	435611   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161001_133855.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	435612   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4548.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	435613  
    Last edited by chrisontour; 2017/02/15 at 02:11 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to chrisontour For This Useful Post:

daj