Report: A trip to Pemba - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Report: A trip to Pemba

Quote Originally Posted by wilfwalk View Post
    I have just read your 3rd episode - and WOW thanks again, and Pam your photos from the boat are great. Well done ! I've always been reluctant to travel to those northern destinations in mid-summer because of the heat, but it sounds as though it wasn't much of a factor once the clouds and rains set in, or am I wrong ?

My wife would kill me if I dragged her up there and it was constantly in the mid 30's and higher. We have enough of that here in Bloem.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I believe that the months to stay away are October and November. Immense heat, dead grass, etc. Of course, if you go on a December trip and the rains are late, you could be in trouble!

Tell your wife that the nice thing about December is that you can see all the baby animals!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RodS For This Useful Post:

I have posted Part 4, taking us to South Luangwa and Lake Malawi.
    Last edited by RodS; 2017/02/12 at 08:44 AM. Reason: puntuation

I just stumbled upon this thread and I cannot tell you how impressed I am with your trip and the reportage thereof. You have an utterly delightful way of recounting things and Pam's photographs are superb. I hope you will be glad to know that I intend copying your itinerary at some point. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!
    It comes through how much more enjoyable you both found things when travelling on your own, despite some highlights of the convoy trip like your South Luangwa game drive. If you are retired and have the luxury of time, why rush? I do envy you that. One day...
    Thank you so much and keep the episodes coming
    Janet

Fantastic trip reports Rod. Thanks for sharing them.
    Last edited by RMackay; 2017/02/13 at 04:09 PM.
    Ross

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RMackay For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I just stumbled upon this thread and I cannot tell you how impressed I am with your trip and the reportage thereof. You have an utterly delightful way of recounting things and Pam's photographs are superb. I hope you will be glad to know that I intend copying your itinerary at some point. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!
    It comes through how much more enjoyable you both found things when travelling on your own, despite some highlights of the convoy trip like your South Luangwa game drive. If you are retired and have the luxury of time, why rush? I do envy you that. One day...
    Thank you so much and keep the episodes coming
    Janet
    Thank you Janet. We really appreciate your taking the time to post this.

Thanks again Rod
    Wow all the driving seems to have been quite an ordeal...
    You are making me feel better about going on our own!
    If I may ask...Why Fat Monkeys... could you have found other campsites? Is it a problem to arrive without prebooked campsites?
    And how was the tent in the rain?
    It would be interesting at the end to hear how you'd plan this with the benefit of hindsight.

Cheers!

Dear Sir Rods

How long should we wait for part 5?

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Thanks again Rod
    Wow all the driving seems to have been quite an ordeal...
    You are making me feel better about going on our own!
    If I may ask...Why Fat Monkeys... could you have found other campsites? Is it a problem to arrive without prebooked campsites?
    And how was the tent in the rain?
    It would be interesting at the end to hear how you'd plan this with the benefit of hindsight.

Cheers!
    Why Fat Monkeys? I was part of an organised trip at this stage, and the tour leader did the bookings. Not that I think there is anything wrong with the place at all - just don't go there over the Christmas - New Year period,. (or Easter,I suppose).

Its the same with pre-booking. We arrived in Maun in the evening without a booking, but confident that we would find something. I wouldn't have tried that a week later though.

The tent was bone dry in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    Dear Sir Rods

How long should we wait for part 5?
    As long as it takes me to figure out why the PDF file is coming in at 44 MB when it has the same number of pages as the others!

Must be the Mount of pictures added. Before adding puctures to file resize them to 30% of original size

Thnx Rod, I loved your report & Pams pics

Landrover Puma 110, OME - sold
    Imagine Trailvan
    Disco1 V8 - sold
    Disco 4 V8 HSE

I have posted Part 5, which takes us through Pemba and to the edge of Ilha de Mozambique.

Fantastic report and pictures Rob. I work in Pemba so have been intrigued by your whole route and experiences along the way. Many thanks for sharing.

Rod, this is an epic trip report and that is not said lightly. Do not imagine that I decry Pam's pics in every way, her eye for the correct subject has been unerring and I can see that she has been luxuriating in the 600mm lens.

The fifth PDF really resonates, I have driven the early part of your route, from Malawi to the Zimbabwe Eastern Highlands but have never ventured on the roads less traveled to the northern coast. The deteriorated tar roads, feral mangoes, the wish for bush camping rather than poor formal facilities and the perils of traveling in convoy with a group, peg a bulls-eye with me.

The best is that there is still more to come. I agree with an earlier post and wonder what you might have done differently. Can anyone else report on the "southern route" that we both seem to hanker after?
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Apologies, Rod(not Rob).

Part one and part two just completed. An entertaining and delightful read. Thanks Rod, I shall save and savour the next instalments.

Thank you Kirkfort, Andrew and Stan. It is really gratifying to get instant midnight feedback!

Stan, I really like your "feral mangoes". It conjures up a marvelous picture of packs of snarling mangoes lurking in the undergrowth, just waiting to bite passersby in the ankles.

Thank you, Rod and Pam, for this excellent trip report. I know how much time and effort goes into compiling trip reports so thought I would comment. I don't usually comment on the countries south of Zambia?

But I will comment on Stan's question about a different route from Lake Malawi. What we did in 2014 was: Cape Maclear on Lake Malawi-Zomba Plateau-Blantyre-Mt Mulanje. Then crossed into Mozambique at Mulanje. Then we had a wet and slippery few hours to where we met new Tarmac at Mocuba. There we camped in a mission compound. Then from Mocuba to Nampula on an empty Tarmac road where we camped on a lovely Portuguese owned farm in the Montes Nairucco with full facilities. From there it was a half day's drive to Ilha da Mocambique. Afterwards we headed north to Pemba etc. I am not entirely sure of the spelling of some of these names and will have to go and look them up. I will edit this post if necessary on spellings.

Love your report. Thanks!
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2017/02/14 at 08:51 AM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Thanks again, this time for Chapters 4 & 5. Some serious thinking and planning going on here I can assure you.

Thanks Rod for no's 4 & 5. I am disappointed when I come to the end of each report - that it is actually finished now.
    Great reports, saving it for future reference, thank you.
    2019 Fortuner 2.4 Auto 4x4
    2006 Jeep 3.7 Limited with 1.5" lift

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast