Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Routes downloading-Bascamp

Morning Guys!
    Are there any setting on basecamp to be set to download old tracks to a Montana 650,or on the gps itself?
    Thx!
    Ford Ranger 2.2 4x4 2018
    Jeep 3.7 Cherokee 4x4 1996
    Toyota Raider SFA 2.2 4X4 1994

Default Re: Routes downloading-Bascamp

When connected to the PC it will show up on BaseCamp. With my eTrex, I just drag the track to the eTrex folder. On the eTrex itself, I can select to display or not display individual tracks. I presume it will be similar on your unit.
    Live life to the fullest....no matter what!

The problem is ,you have to go to each track and select "show on map"Ive got about 100 tracks to be displayd.When i get back from a trip and download back to pc into basecamp,when you reload back to gps ,you have to do the same thing all over again.I thought there is a way to select all and download.?
    Ford Ranger 2.2 4x4 2018

Oh, ok. Yes that can be a schlep. Does the tracks follow each other i.e. end of the one is more or less the start of the other or is it totally individual tracks? If they are following one another, maybe you can join the into one continuous track before you load it back to the GPS. This can be done in BaseCamp.

Grasping at straws trying to help. Hope you come right.

I must say that I find this thread baffling. I have just got back from a 6 week trip, and I plugged my Montana 600 in, then went to Receive from Device and clicked it. 10 seconds passed. All my tracks are now on the PC, but they are also all still on the Montana (I have just checked) What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by ofe001 View Post
    Morning Guys!
    Are there any setting on basecamp to be set to download old tracks to a Montana 650,or on the gps itself?
    Thx!
    Hi Ofe

Are you trying to download your tracks from your GPS to your computer, using Basecamp? As RodS say, you plug your Montana into the computer, open Basecamp, and select device - receive from device. There is a video on YouTube showing how to do this: https://youtu.be/s4AqQGdmb2Q

If you are trying to send your old tracks from your computer back to the GPS, you open Basecamp, and on the top left, under "library" look for "Data received from Montana" and click on it. Just underneath this, you will now have the list of all the data you have received from the Montana, including waypoints, planned routes, and your tracks. Scroll down, and there will be a grey "header bar" that reads "Data received from Montana (Unit ID xxxx). Below this grey header bar, there is now a list of all the data you have received from your Montana in the past (unless you have chosen to delete some of them).

If you scroll down this list, you will find your tracks, indicated with two shoes. Use your control key and click on the tracks you want to send to your GPS - by using the control key you can select more than one track. Now in the toolbar at the top of the page, click on Device-Send to Device" and then click on "send selection to device". This way you only send the tracks you selected, instead of all the data.

If you have an SD card in your Montana, please be sure where you send the data to. If your Garmin Streetmaps is loaded on the SD card, and you send the data to the SD card, you may overwrite the data on the card, especially if you are sending T4A maps to your GPS. On my Montana my Streetmaps are loaded on the GPS itself, and T4A runs from the SD card. So I send all my routes and waypoints I used in planning, to my SD card. Just be sure where your Streetmaps are loaded, so you don't overwrite them.

I hope that helps

Regards
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Thx Lizette,i will try that.From basecamp to Montana and back is not the problem.Its just that when i view the saved map with tracks on laptop its 100%.But when dowloaded to gps,al tracks are gone.But i will try it your way and reply on that.
    Ford Ranger 2.2 4x4 2018

Hi Lizette,tried it your way.Selected all info waypoints and tracks!Still only transferring the waiponts but not the tracks!I have still have to go on gps and under tracks select every track to "show on map"!
    Ford Ranger 2.2 4x4 2018

Hallo ofe,

Do I understand correctly that you would like to see all your tracks at the same time on the GPS screen? I have tried on my Montana but it seems one can only view one track at a time on the map.

The alternative would be to first join the tracks in Basecamp, and then to send the new "joined" track to your GPS - if the one track is in Johannesburg and the other track in Cape Town, you are going to get a long straight line between the two cities, so it works best if the tracks you are joining, are all "connected" e.g. if you do a Botswana trip, you can connect all the tracks from the day you leave until the day you return.

You can join the track in Basecamp by selecting the tracks you want, right click and then select "join the selected tracks" - it creates one new track, and you can send this track to the GPS.

I don't know if that does what you want?

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizette Swart For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lizette Swart View Post
    Hallo ofe,

Do I understand correctly that you would like to see all your tracks at the same time on the GPS screen? I have tried on my Montana but it seems one can only view one track at a time on the map.

The alternative would be to first join the tracks in Basecamp, and then to send the new "joined" track to your GPS - if the one track is in Johannesburg and the other track in Cape Town, you are going to get a long straight line between the two cities, so it works best if the tracks you are joining, are all "connected" e.g. if you do a Botswana trip, you can connect all the tracks from the day you leave until the day you return.

You can join the track in Basecamp by selecting the tracks you want, right click and then select "join the selected tracks" - it creates one new track, and you can send this track to the GPS.

I don't know if that does what you want?

Regards

Lizette
    On my eTrex I can select more than one track to be visible at a time. But as mentioned before it can only be done one at a time.

In post 4 I also suggested joining the tracks. But if they do not follow one another, you will end up with straight lines connecting the end of one with the start of the next.

PS. I just checked. As Lizette mentioned, archived track logs cannot be made visible. You will only see your current log. I can choose more than one other track log, copied to the unit, to be visible at the same time.
    Last edited by Daniek; 2017/02/08 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Correction

Maybe ofe001 can give more detail on why he needs/wants all tracks to be visible on the GPS. A better understanding of why there is a problem might help in getting a solution.

Again, I can only refer to my eTrex. By default, it will show the current track. My unit is set to archive on a daily basis. In other words the unit will only show the track for the day I am driving. As soon as I am in a new day, the log of the previous day will be saved/archived and a new current log will be started. On my unit I can choose between Daily, Weekly or when unit is full for saving/archiving the track logs. Each will change the duration of the current/visible track log. The danger of longer periods is that of something goes wrong with the unit when saving the log or whatever other reason, you will loose a larger portion of track log. In other words, you can loose a weeks worth of traveling or more.

Say ive got a map of Botswana and i go there once a week.Every time i get back i download to pc.Next time i do another road and get back and update to pc.After six months ive got one map with diffrent tracks on one map in basecamp,Now when i download that map and information to my Montana 650,the tracks does not show on the gps.On the gps i have to go to tracks and "show on map" for every single track.When i do that and send it back to pc it shows on basecamp.Download back to gps and every one must again be set to "show on map".
    Ford Ranger 2.2 4x4 2018

Say ive got a map of Botswana and i go there once a week.Every time i get back i download to pc.Next time i do another road and get back and update to pc.After six months ive got one map with diffrent tracks on one map in basecamp,Now when i download that map and information to my Montana 650,the tracks does not show on the gps.On the gps i have to go to tracks and "show on map" for every single track.When i do that and send it back to pc it shows on basecamp.Download back to gps and every one must again be set to "show on map".
    Ok, so basically you want to be able to see on the GPS, while driving, if you have traveled a specific road previously.

If that is the case, it would seem as if your only option would be to join all the tracks into one (in BaseCamp). This combined log can then be copied to your GPS. After every trip, you will then download your logs to Basecamp. In BaseCamp, you will then join your new logs with your one complete log. You will then replace the complete log on the GPS with your newly created one. Etc,etc. If you do this, it might be a good idea the have separate colors for your active/current log and the one holding your history logs.

This will still be a schlep to do, but maybe less so that having to activate hundreds of logs one by one.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniek For This Useful Post:

The problem is when you join all those tracks it shows straight lines from your starting point!
    Ford Ranger 2.2 4x4 2018

The problem is when you join all those tracks it shows straight lines from your starting point!
    That will be where your end point on one track does not correspond to the start point of the next. If your unit is always on and recording, this should not be such a big problem. Keep in mind that if you switch the unit on and start to drive immediately, it can take a while to get a proper satellite fix and this will make the straight line longer, so to speak. And obviously if there is, for what ever reason, a bigger distance between the end and start of the log, the problem will be worse.

Where does basecamp safe your files?Maybe i can e mail you the map and tracks and then you can maybe solve the problem?
    Ford Ranger 2.2 4x4 2018

Where does basecamp safe your files?Maybe i can e mail you the map and tracks and then you can maybe solve the problem?
    PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniek View Post
    PM sent.
    Please don't keep it a secret. I would also like to know where BaseCamp saves your files, so that I can be sure that Windows 10 Backup is including them!

Quote Originally Posted by RodS View Post
    Please don't keep it a secret. I would also like to know where BaseCamp saves your files, so that I can be sure that Windows 10 Backup is including them!
    Will do!
    Ford Ranger 2.2 4x4 2018

Quote Originally Posted by RodS View Post
    I don't know what Win 10 backup as far as BaseCamp is concerned. However, BaseCamp does have it's own functionality to perform a backup (sub menu under File). You then have the option to choose where you want to save your backup. You can then use the Restore function in BaseCamp to do a restore if/when required. If I remember correctly, this was how I transfered all my BaseCamp data when I migrated to my new laptop.

As an alternative you can export folders, lists or individual items to Garmin GDB or GPX files. This will then leave you in the same situation you had with Mapsource where you had individual data files for each trip etc. These can then be imported into BaseCamp on any PC. As a side note, you can export to KML also that can be opened by Google Earth. Or visa versa you can import a Google Earth KML file into BaseCamp.

When I still used Mapsource, I had files for holiday trips, work, etc. These are now replaced by folders and lists in BaseCamp. For instance, I have a Holiday folder. Under that folder I created a list for each trip. Each list then contains the data relevant to that trip.

My apology if the information above is common knowledge.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniek For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast