Hardtail or Full suspension, Carbon or Alu - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Hardtail or Full suspension, Carbon or Alu

Petri I use a "hard tail" (front shock only) to cycle to work a couple of days per week.

Using this bike on trails is not fun (at least not for the male of the species..)

Weekends I use my full suspension MTB. NICE !!

Petri some things to consider if you want to go this route :

- gearing - most of the better bikes now come with a "1x" system, thus only one gear in front. Make sure you get a "10-50" rear cassette. The front chain ring can be changed as you become fitter. a seriously unfit person might consider starting with a 28 gear in front, perfect for climbing, but not "fast". In time you can get a larger front ring ...

- components - you will get Shimano Deore or XT, or possibly SRAM. Please make sure of the wheel hubs ... chines components here helps to reduce the costs ... so you end up with a 30 to 50k bike that has the ight stickers on the outside, and crappy hubs ! My bike is currently in hospital and getting these parts upgraded.

- computer ..... I started with a Polar watch .... try to look at a range of small numbers on your wrist while cycling .... okay for record keeping, useless on the trail ! Consider something like the Gamin 520 combo unit. I find that monitoring my heart rate, and adjusting my gearing helps a LOT to keep me going longer. Without this I tend to push myself into the red on hills and then cant recover fast enough ....

ENJOY

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Petri I use a "hard tail" (front shock only) to cycle to work a couple of days per week.

Using this bike on trails is not fun (at least not for the male of the species..)

ENJOY
    Ek gaan soort van met jou stry hier.
    Hardtails is lekker op Trails.
    Maar jy moet meer staan en trap. Mens leer vinnig slegte gewoontes aan op 'n fullsus en dan is die harde fiets genadeloos.
    Eintlik moet mens op die fullsus ook meer uit die saal uit wees oor rowwer terrein, want dan is jou gewigs verspreiding beter, maar dus maklik om lui te raak op fullsus. Ek weet dit, want ek kom dit byna elke keer agter as ek vir twee weke net fullsus ry.
    Die hardtail hou my eerlik. Dis hoekom ek reken as mens net een fiets kan h, is 'n fullsus die antwoord.
    IMO is 'n 120-130mm travel (travel : suspension travel) fullsus die ideale doen (byna) alles fiets. Voorbeelde is die Trek Fuel Ex, Specialized Camber, Scott Spark en Giant Trance (het bietjie meer travel.)

Jip !

LOTS of advantages to a hardtail bike. !

just so much comfier on a full suspension bike ....

"better" certainly is a term that will get the argument going ....

What I can add - you can get a LOT better bike for the money if you go hardtail .... decent full suspension bikes are very expensive .... I bought a 30k TREK bike (EX5), and now have hub and drive train issues - this is where they saved the money ..... I do LOVE this bike and its handling, so am going full out for a proper wheel and drive train upgrade, trust this will give me years of excellent service.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Jip !

LOTS of advantages to a hardtail bike. !

just so much comfier on a full suspension bike ....

"better" certainly is a term that will get the argument going ....

What I can add - you can get a LOT better bike for the money if you go hardtail .... decent full suspension bikes are very expensive .... I bought a 30k TREK bike (EX5), and now have hub and drive train issues - this is where they saved the money ..... I do LOVE this bike and its handling, so am going full out for a proper wheel and drive train upgrade, trust this will give me years of excellent service.
    Oooh watter wiele sit jy op?
    Dit behoort jou ver te vat. Maar onthou, fietsry is soos om 'n gat te grawe en geld daarin te gooi.

Terloops, 'n vriend van my het issues met sy platform valve op sy FuelEx, maar verder het hy nie pyne nie. Sy en is die eerste generasie met die Reaktiv valve op. Dit behoort al uitgesorteer tw wees op jou fiets.

Lankal vrede gemaak daar is nie n goedkoop sport nie ...

Ten minste hou die een my fiks. en belangrikste - tyd saam met my peetkind !! MENS, dit is stunning om te sien hoe hy in 12 maande gevorder het van hier :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M-2 (Large).jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	476665

tot hier -

Name:	M-3 (Large).jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	257.1 KB 
ID:	476666

ses-en-n-half en hy ry die single tracks by Meerendal mooi !

Ek hoop om Donderdag of Vrydag die fiets terug te kry, sal dan fotos opsit en wys wat als gedoen is ... nuwe wiele, en nuwe drive train ... 1x .... raak nou sommer opgewonde !!

Ek doen seker meer kilos op my Merida waarmee ek werk toe ry, en die ou kos my niks aan onderhoud nie .... net n stel tires
    Attached Images Attached Images  

THANKS to the guys at Knipe_Racing.

Name:	Knipe Racing -1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	476766

So nice to see a team that take pride in their work. They truly went above and beyond !

New RacePace wheel set -

Name:	Knipe Racing -7.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	476767

New drive set, geared for CLIMBING .... -

Name:	Knipe Racing -3.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	476768

Straight out the shop and UP the mountain ....

Name:	Knipe Racing -8.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	476769

Then it was time to have some FUN ......

Name:	Knipe Racing -11.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	476770

Nice upgrades....looks like eagle on the back. I love mine. Sram just works and lasts.

SRAM Eagle 1x12 set. 10-50 on the back, and 28 in the front. It gives me a nice LOW gear for climbing.

Knipe_Racing is on the Meerendal wine farm. So I took the bike out, took a few pics and then headed UP the koppie. 78m climb in the first 1,76km to warm up the legs, then 55m climb in 300m !! Cant even stand to pedal as the back wheel just spins when you lift your but out the seat ..... FIRST time I made it that high without walking part of the last section.

With this gear set the max speed is about 38km/h. Perfect for the terrain we ride.... more importantly, the climbing ratio is perfect for my arthritic knees.

BIG thumbs up for the team at Knipe_Racing !!! Been a very long while since I have seen this level of attention to detail ! And they are constantly helping riders that have some issue with their bikes, and most of the small adjustments are done free of charge. Adding up all the "quick jobs" they spend hours helping the riders at Meerendal !! RESPECT.

i run my momsen vipa with eagle and a 34 on the front...perfect for me. can almost climb a vertical wall

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBob View Post
    i run my momsen vipa with eagle and a 34 on the front...perfect for me. can almost climb a vertical wall
    Jip, the 32 or 34 is certainly more popular.

I stopped cycling in 1999 when I was diagnosed with arthritis, became just too painfull ....

mid 2016 I borrowed a friends cycle and started doing 1km rides around the block. October 2016 I started commuting to work and back a few days a week, 4,5km one way. SCARY the hart rate and speed at that stage. A year later my maximum heart rate was less than the average of the first commute

We then started doing short MTB rides. Gradually increasing the distances and elevations ....

Each time I push it too hard the knees act up for a few days .... so it is slow, but steady, progress.

My goal is to do the whole of Dorstberg before my 50th in September - under my own steam, no walking, no ebike ....

now getting to the halfway mark with just enough energy left to actually consider doing a few more meters up that hill .....

So for now I USE that 50-28 combination ! MAN it is slow .... On those very steep sections the speed sometimes drop below 6km/h .... and you cant even get up to stand on the pedals, as the back wheel just spins up. Gearing is okay, now it is the operator that needs to up his stamina and endurance ....

Adding a few kilometers and some steep hills on the afternoon commute will surely pay off in time.

Who knows, maybe the 28 may become a 30 in time .....

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elders For This Useful Post:

WOW thats quite an achievement! well done for persevering. my story is much smaller. when i was around 39 i decided one day my stomach was too much.96kgs and tying shoes was becoming problematic. started at about 2kms. nearly died but ive come a long way since. 82kgs now

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeBob For This Useful Post:

Ek ry nou al 2 jaar so aan af met n R6000 se fatbike, wragtag hou hy nog.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to superhansie For This Useful Post:

Post 16 was actually meant as a joke.........but I'm glad I could bump the thread for all you fietsryers.

BTW - I'm not a cyclist.

Ek pas my kniee op, en my Marlboros gaan kreukel as ek hulle onder die seat in daai sakkie sit.
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

That upgrade must have cost a few ZAR'e. Eagle is not cheap. On my Pyga I run a Shimano 11-46 with a 28 RaceFace in front. I don't ride that often anymore but this drivetrain is a year old and show no signs of needing replacement. I initially thought a 1x set-up will require quicker replacement as there is only on chain ring taking all the wear and tear but it actually seems to be lasting longer.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

aaaaah, is that not sweet, all those hubbers replying .......

#notamodhere
    Last edited by Slowones; 2018/02/09 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowones View Post
    aaaaah, is that not sweet, all those hubbers replying .......

#notamodhere

Petri, my pa het reggekry om nooit sy sigarette te kreukel nie, dit was in sy broeksak (genadiglik het hy nooit in stywe broeke gery nie.)

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PhlippieV For This Useful Post:

Petri, my pa het reggekry om nooit sy sigarette te kreukel nie, dit was in sy broeksak (genadiglik het hy nooit in stywe broeke gery nie.)[/QUOTE]

.....Ek skat did moontlik Philippie. Jy moet net kyk waar sit jy jou Bic, laat die ding nie rondskuif nie
    Last edited by Petri Oosthuizen; 2018/02/09 at 08:49 PM.
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

Over 40(age or Km's) ,dual suspension. Klaar.
    Die ren is 'n dag nader as gister.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to retailer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Post 16 was actually meant as a joke.........but I'm glad I could bump the thread for all you fietsryers.

BTW - I'm not a cyclist.

Ek pas my kniee op, en my Marlboros gaan kreukel as ek hulle onder die seat in daai sakkie sit.

Dankie OOM.

Vir die siggies - https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/t...bag-rain-cover

Selfs plek vir die Bic, en n sell foon as die tannie met die bakkie moet kom help ...

en vir oom se "ou kniee" is daar nou ook n lekker fiets - https://www.giant-bicycles.com/za/dirt-eplus-2-2018

daar is mos nie meer n windpomp om reg te maak nie, so oom sal maar moet "gym" of fietsry ..... DIT is wat onse stads-japies doen om in shape te bly ...

Quote Originally Posted by PhlippieV View Post
    Ek gaan soort van met jou stry hier.
    Hardtails is lekker op Trails.
    Maar jy moet meer staan en trap. Mens leer vinnig slegte gewoontes aan op 'n fullsus en dan is die harde fiets genadeloos.
    Eintlik moet mens op die fullsus ook meer uit die saal uit wees oor rowwer terrein, want dan is jou gewigs verspreiding beter, maar dus maklik om lui te raak op fullsus. Ek weet dit, want ek kom dit byna elke keer agter as ek vir twee weke net fullsus ry.
    Die hardtail hou my eerlik. Dis hoekom ek reken as mens net een fiets kan h, is 'n fullsus die antwoord.
    IMO is 'n 120-130mm travel (travel : suspension travel) fullsus die ideale doen (byna) alles fiets. Voorbeelde is die Trek Fuel Ex, Specialized Camber, Scott Spark en Giant Trance (het bietjie meer travel.)
    Ek is met jou daar, ek glo jy moet op n hardtail leer ry, veral tegniese terrein. Dit leer jou baie meer skill en ook om die regte lyn te kies. Ek het my full sus verkoop en is terug na hardtail, deels omdat ek ietwat van n "weight weenie" is en met my budget kan ek net soveel beter doen met hardtail (carbon frame en xt of xtr komponente). Ek soek nie n alu full suss op my werf nie, party van hulle weeg oor die 13 kg en dit grens al aan sabotasie. Ek sal net n full suss koop as hy rondom die 9 of 10kg weeg en ek kan nie in daai prysklas koop. Solank ek 12 ure op my hardtail kan sit, sal ek nie vir eers weer aan full suss dink... dalk eendag as ek oud en ryk is.
    2012 Suzuki Jimny (40mm ZOR suspension lift, 215/75R15 General Grabber AT3)
    Can go anywhere

2015 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Tdci Trend
    (Race Chip, free flowed, 280 nm)
    Can go pretty fast

Specialized Epic Expert (Carbon frame hard tail)
    It's lighter than your road bike

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast