Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Your advice: Discovery 2 Td5 and V8

Quote Originally Posted by O.B. View Post
    I had the D2 V8. I was the 3rd owner IIRC 140k km. Sold it after 30 or 40k km.

Had issues with suspension compressor, central locking, cooling system that lead to head gaskets replacing, coils, driver window fell into the door on a trip to Kruger. The last straw was the fuel pump went on the freeway. It was at a time in my life before kids, so I enjoyed fixing it in the early evenings. We now have a toddler and an infant there is no loose time anywhere. Build quality questionable, latches and handles would break under normal use. If I compare that to the Subaru where Im also the 3rd owner, got it a bit newer at 120k km but its now nudging 180k km in a largely urban cycle, the difference between how much better it's put together is remarkable.

On the upside I did enjoy the V8. A lot. Even if I only got 450km out of a tank in town. Very capable offroad. Roomy inside the theatre seating means kids can have better view on the road. Great open road cruising and the air suspension was very very comfortable.

There are guys that will differ but I think rather reconsider. They are time consuming maintenance wise, or you eill need a good indie in town's cell no.

Just worth noting. I don't know if 3 baby seats will fit in the rear. In fact I don't know of any vehicle except perhaps a minibus where 3 car seats and prams will fit.
    Outback....
    What a great car, mine was 2.5 and it was a pleasure.
    Mine was also same year model which i still consider the best shape that Subaru made, ( last of the frameless windows models).

Up to this day I still miss it.

I bought Opel Zafira recently to help out a friend, and very surprised of its build quality and space.
    Vehicle also has 3 rows of seats and small boot behind them.
    Really underestimated vehicle.
    '03 Discovery II GS TD5

Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    TDV6 - I too would never recommend it. The V8 and V6 I believe are in a different class though when it comes to service and maintenance costs. . So I would have no qualm recommending either of a D3 V6 or D3 V8
    Interesting about the D3 V6/8. I looked into the D3 V6 and V8 in the forums. Saw other threads where people say the D3 V6 and V8 are more reliable than the DTV6. Is this engine wise or does this include other parts of the vehicle that are reported to be D3 reliability problems. The way it seems is that the major problems in the TDV6 is not necessarily the engine itself but the parts attached to it, If I am wrong about this sorry for that...

I don't want to make the discussion too broad but can we look at it this way:

1. We can agree that price wise the D3 V6/V8 is more expensive than the D2 V8 but of course age wise its newer than the D2 V8(when looking at vehicles above the 13 year mark every year extra makes a big difference).
    2. Lets say Kilometers wise the D3 V6/8 and D2 V8 are roughly the same at 185 000 km - 210 000 km when taking into account my budget (lower kilometer versions of the D3 falls outside my budget).
    3. Looking at number 1 and 2 w.r.t. price and kilometers, the D3 V6/V8 and D2 V8 with roughly the same kilometers (185 000 - 210 000) there is a price difference of roughly R60 000+ (D3 more expensive of course).

Will it be more wise to pay the extra R60 000 for a D3 V6/V8 (not the TDV6) than the D2 V8 (not the TD5)?

This might be a strange way to look at things but if one buys a D2 V8 (+/- 200 000Km) for R70 000, you then have some spare cash at hand to do some repairs if it comes up than buying a D3 V6/8 at the top of your budget but don't have spare cash at hand for repairs, and then a Credit card must be used and that also kills a budget. I read somewhere that if you buy a D3 you must have R50 000 spare cash at hand for repairs (is this only w.r.t. the TDV6?).

So in conclusion (sorry for the long response). Will it be, after taking the above into consideration, more sensible to get a cheaper 200 000km D2 V8 over a 200 000km D3 V6/8 ? (a bit broad this question, but please bare with me).

For the record I would prefer a D3 V6/8 above the D2 V8 because of its space and so on but when reading these forums I get a bit scared of the D3 ...

3 baby seats will fit in a D2, I am talking from experience. Kids love riding in it because they can see everything

Land Rover Freelander 2009 Td4 2.2 HSE (his)
    Land Rover Freelander 2005 td4 2.0 HSE facelift (hers)

Modified Jurgens xt 75

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lammie For This Useful Post:

Agreed. We did that too - but only 1 was mine 😥

Roof rack and the boot swallowed everything.

I have been eyeing the D3 V8 for some time, but since sorting out the head gasket on my D2 TD5, I have come to remember why I love her so much.

Only you can decide what you want to buy. Make a choice and pull the trigger. Do your research - which you are, but try your best to pay attention to owners that have had both versions - D2 and D3 that is. The rest of us will opinionise. 😉
    Jack

2005 Discovery 3 V8 HSE - 🤩
    2004 Discovery 2 TD5 GS - sold
    1996 Discovery 1 5.7lt Chevrolet 🤤 - sold
    1994 Defender 110 Hardtop 3.9 Auto Conversion - sold 🤑

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JakalasM For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LVN777 View Post
    Interesting about the D3 V6/8. I looked into the D3 V6 and V8 in the forums. Saw other threads where people say the D3 V6 and V8 are more reliable than the DTV6. Is this engine wise or does this include other parts of the vehicle that are reported to be D3 reliability problems. The way it seems is that the major problems in the TDV6 is not necessarily the engine itself but the parts attached to it, If I am wrong about this sorry for that...

I don't want to make the discussion too broad but can we look at it this way:

1. We can agree that price wise the D3 V6/V8 is more expensive than the D2 V8 but of course age wise its newer than the D2 V8(when looking at vehicles above the 13 year mark every year extra makes a big difference).
    2. Lets say Kilometers wise the D3 V6/8 and D2 V8 are roughly the same at 185 000 km - 210 000 km when taking into account my budget (lower kilometer versions of the D3 falls outside my budget).
    3. Looking at number 1 and 2 w.r.t. price and kilometers, the D3 V6/V8 and D2 V8 with roughly the same kilometers (185 000 - 210 000) there is a price difference of roughly R60 000+ (D3 more expensive of course).

Will it be more wise to pay the extra R60 000 for a D3 V6/V8 (not the TDV6) than the D2 V8 (not the TD5)?

This might be a strange way to look at things but if one buys a D2 V8 (+/- 200 000Km) for R70 000, you then have some spare cash at hand to do some repairs if it comes up than buying a D3 V6/8 at the top of your budget but don't have spare cash at hand for repairs, and then a Credit card must be used and that also kills a budget. I read somewhere that if you buy a D3 you must have R50 000 spare cash at hand for repairs (is this only w.r.t. the TDV6?).

So in conclusion (sorry for the long response). Will it be, after taking the above into consideration, more sensible to get a cheaper 200 000km D2 V8 over a 200 000km D3 V6/8 ? (a bit broad this question, but please bare with me).

For the record I would prefer a D3 V6/8 above the D2 V8 because of its space and so on but when reading these forums I get a bit scared of the D3 ...
    I do not believe there is anu reason to be scared of a D3 V6 or V8.

If proper maintenance (inclusive of preventative where necessary) and servicing are done on a V6 or V8 it will give you many miles of smiles.

Like all used vehicles tierod ends; cv joints; etc will start giving in. There is nothing on a D3 V6/V8 that can fail that will not eventually fail on any other SIMILAR vehicle . Like all other big vehicles it too could be a bit heavier on brakes and some components than a lighter vehicle e.g. a D2 V8.

Also depends on the D2 you get; what had been serviced and mainrained; what is still standard vs modified. Does it have coils and shocks vs a compressor and air bellows, etc.

Based on reading you can still get a warranty on the D3 that will assist you should something unexpectadly happen.

All I can say is what a nice predicament you are in. If you feel more comfortable with a D2 go for it and later if it does not work for you then go for the D3 V6/V8 or something else.
    Last edited by 2beFree; 2017/02/03 at 06:11 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 2beFree For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kingswood View Post
    I bought a Diesel D2 two years back and so far I must say I have been very happy with my choice.
    So far, head gasket has been replaced which costed me approximately R4000 as I did everything myself.
    Brakes all-round and regular servicing every 8000km.
    I also did lots of preventive maintenance including modifications to the thermostat housing in order to drop my running temp.
    My D2 is GS so ride is not as comfy as it might be in a car with ACE and air bags at the rear.
    Space wise it's enough but my wife's Jazz is roomier at the back.

All in all I am very happy with my car and I dont see myself selling it unless I am relocating.
    Bought her at 240000km, now at 281000km.

Good luck
    What mod too the thermostat for Better cooling on td5 can I make?

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ight=Kingswood

Above is what I did on my Disco, I covered 35000 km since the mod I am still very pleased with the way my car is running.
    '03 Discovery II GS TD5

Get a d2,you said it yourself a d3 is out of your budget.

It's not the price of the vehicle that needs to be look at,its the repair costs on them.

Repairs is ten times more expensive on a d3 and we all know theres always something that needs to be done on a discovery and the d2 is much lighter on your pocket.

You can almost buy three d2's at the price of a decent d3.So i think it is a no brainer,be patient and you will get a decent facelift one for 65k.

I still believe they are the best priced 4x4 to buy these days. And to me they look better than the d3 except for the dash.

I think someone said this on the forum.

Discovery 1 easy to fix and diy a lot things

Discovery 2 can still diy a lot things but will need a number of a good indie.

Doscovery 3,car starts acting up,needs to be taken to a lr expert to get sorted.

Just to add i think all discoveries are great cars and im not hating on the d3 here,just trying to tell you that if you go that route,be prepared to have deep pockets.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freebird For This Useful Post:

Thank you guys

Cool Re: Your advice: Discovery 2 Td5 and V8

Guys I need a someone that can make and code a spare key for my Disco 2 V8,.
    I cannot seem to find someone who can do this for me.... Any suggestions please

Quote Originally Posted by Deon Fouche View Post
    Guys I need a someone that can make and code a spare key for my Disco 2 V8,.I cannot seem to find someone who can do this for me.... Any suggestions please
    Kry 'n 2de handse sleutel by British 4x4. Ek kan dit vir jou "code"
    2006 VW Touareg 4.2 V8 Auto
    2000 Disco 2 GS 4.6 V8 Auto

2013 Wildebeest Kalfie Boswa
    2002 Audi S6 4.2 V8 quattro

2013 Freelander SD4 (SWAMBO)
    ORRA Z07

Guys I need a someone that can make and code a spare key for my Disco 2 V8,.
    I cannot seem to find someone who can do this for me.... Any suggestions please
    Car Key and Parts Suppliers
    011 496 1572

If you find a used key, make sure it has the 6 digit alpha-numeric code on the chip inside it.
    If that is readable then a Nanocom will be able to code the ECU to accept that transmitter.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Dankie ouens, twin disco Kan ek jou nommer kry asb
    Deon 0609693757