Red face Route from Khwai to Linyanti

Dear all,

I am new to the whole Forum thing, please be patient with meif I do something wrong.

We plan to drive from Khwai to Linyanti in one day duringour trip in June 2017. I am not clear on the route and am getting a bit worriedon the duration and difficulty. I would appreciate any advice or experiencefrom people who has done this before.

Thanks,
    Sydney

Default Re: Route from Khwai to Linyanti

Hi Sydney and welcome to the forum,

There is actually only one "official" route from Khwai to Linyanti and it is well travelled.

You have to enter the Chobe NP at Mababe gate then head to Savuti. On this section of the route you have two track options, the sand ridge or the marsh "road"
    The latter is better choice during the dry season whereas impassable during wet season.

From Savuti you head north the Ghoha gate and turn left into the fire break (the easy option) or chose the track up the dune just north of the Savuti camp site which will be the more challenging way.

If you intend the whole stretch without stop-over in Savuti, calculate a whole day for the 130 (+) kms.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Thanks.
    What about the "Transit road" going straight North? Can that not be used, Google suggest I can drive straight north on the transit road. Realizing Google maps is not suitable for Botswana navigation - I had to ask.

i last used that north south cutline road west of chobe in about 2007 and it was like a highway . More recently though someone said its overgrown . But i would try it again .

Try to get info though on the crossing over the savuti channel . when i did it the channel was dry but a google earth spot shows something going on there that might make it not so
    straightforward .

Please report back . In 2007 it was a 60 - 80 kmh two spoor but cleared like a firebreak quite wide in some places.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinClem View Post
    i last used that north south cutline road west of chobe in about 2007 and it was like a highway . More recently though someone said its overgrown . But i would try it again .

Try to get info though on the crossing over the savuti channel . when i did it the channel was dry but a google earth spot shows something going on there that might make it not so
    straightforward .

Please report back . In 2007 it was a 60 - 80 kmh two spoor but cleared like a firebreak quite wide in some places.

The cut line could work but there are a few issues with it:

This seasons sees good rains and with it good growth of vegetation which means the cut line could easily be overgrown.
    Then the Savuti channel started flowing agin which make the passage west of Savuti camps impassible.

I've tried some seasons ago to head south from Savuti camps to join the cut line but had to turn around as the track was completely blocked by growth and pushed over trees by Elephants.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

Oh, and I remember in June 2015, I got stuck and had to turn around on the track leading from Khwai Village direction North which should have linked to the Savuti steel bridge close to the Linyanti concession.
    Reason was a very strong water flow about 50-70 cm deep and several hundred meters wide coming from a side arm along the fault line of the Okavango basin.
    Not sure how far the water went, but according to GE it is less than 20-30 kms to reach the Savuti sand ridge from this side.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

Hi there,
    we tried the route just outside Savuti camp site, to Linyanti. It is EXTREMELY deep sand, and we eventually turned back (Landy Defender and Hilux 4x4 ) it is safer to carry on to gate and go left, onto the fire break.

Just replied to a thread with basically the same question.

I guess you have two basic options from Khwai to Linyanti. Either the route most people take through Mababe and Savuti, or you could take the cut line. Last august we tried the cut line but went back after 30 min. The track is very narrow and in bad condition. Lots of holes. There is elephant dung everywhere so they can suddenly come out of the bush. You won't see them in time. So you have to be very careful. Also hardly anyone uses that track, so if you do get into trouble or break down, help can be FAR away!

I would NOT advise to use the cut line. Also I guess you need to check in at Mababe gate first, otherwise you would be in the park illegally.
    Regards,
    Hans

http://www.wildpicture.com/

Overland trips with rented 4x4's in South Africa, Botswana, Nambia, Zimbabwe, Zambia
    (Toyota Hilux DC, Landrover Defender 110)
    1999-2005 Suzuki Jimny JLX 4x4
    2016- Suzuki Jimny JLX 4x4