CKSUN 01 Leopard Pan 8th January 2017

Default CKSUN 01 Leopard Pan 8th January 2017

Hi Folks
    We need to raise awareness - again - on campsite etiquette.
    On arrival at Leopard Pan, we were faced with a disturbing mess in the fire-pit. Cans, aluminium foil, bottles, half burnt food and other detritus. There were also beer cans scattered around the campsite.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1597.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	229.5 KB 
ID:	433312
    It did not take long to clear up - maybe 20 min - but left a bad taste.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1598.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	433313 .
    Passage 2 was also a mess with dozens of cigarette butts and egg shells in the fire-pit as well as scattered around the site. This was a far cry from taking over Passage 2, a couple of years back, after RhaBots. It was so neat it looked like a Zen garden!
    Later in the trip we had some folk from Munich in Kori 3 who also faced a terrible mess in the camp on arrival.
    Camp etiquette in wildness areas has been discussed over the years on this forum we need to reinforce and get the message through to newbies.
    -Burn only firewood
    - Leave only tyre tracks
    - with the addition of your photos, take out everything you bring in.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1999 Isuzu Trooper - The Truck
    2002 Landcruiser 105 - The Grey Nomad

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to trooper For This Useful Post:

Default Re: CKSUN 01 Leopard Pan 8th January 2017

Agreed, disgusting. We are finding this more and more as well.

And "toilet holes" being dug everywhere and not deep enough.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

So sad, clear indication of disrespect towards nature and others.

"In nature, nothing is on order - appreciate what you do get to experience" - Myself
    Defender 90 TD5 - BL Boskriek
    Namibia Trip Report, Kaa Wilderness Trip Report, Wildcoast Trip Report, Botswana Trip Report, Kgalagadi Trip Report, Lesotho Trip Report

Hi,
    I believe that there are two different reasons for that.

First, all those sites become more and more popular. Ten years ago, we did not meet anyone for 5 days in the CKGR. Nowadays even in off season, you meet people every day (even tented camps are now on the sites). The clients differ too. In the past, it was more like an expedition, now, people with no water, no knowledge and no respect come there. It has gotten to easy to just visit those places.

Second, even though those sites have been privatized, the concession owners do not fulfill their duty in taking care of them. I would believe they should clean those sites and remove the rubbish and even clean those long drops, after people threw non organic material in the toilets.

Having said all that - some people are pigs! There is not much we can do. They carry lots of liquor and drive drunken though the game reserves, throwing all their rubbish around, are mostly noisy, drive off road and get rude to people who complain. Sometimes people are camp squatters (I especially like those ). What people expect will happen to those milk and beer containers when they throw them in the fire pit is beyond my comprehension.

All those areas used to be so remote that they were only visited by little,special people, who cherished it very much.The more people come the worse it will get.

Christian

PS: In the past, just to book those sites was so complicated that for many it was too much of a hassle, that helped to limit the numbers as well.
    Last edited by chvogel; 2017/01/26 at 11:08 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chvogel For This Useful Post:

This can only be done by someone who,either doesn't care about the environment or is not planning to ever come back. Have you reported to the park officials on exit as they can trace the perpetrators.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

Oh no , that is terrible. No respect whatsoever.
    Somehow there has to be a way to impose massive fines on the morons that do this, oh and bye the way I always carry vast amounts of beer with me to help deal with the Kalahari heat , and I smoke too but every single can gets crushed and taken out with me as well as every cigarette but. My own and every one I find lying around.
    I would not even consider leaving a mess behind for the next campers.

I agree, unfortunately we have also encountered it far too often.

But, I am not sure what is worse, finding their litter the next day or camping near them and hearing all the noise, that I am sure they generated each evening. I am convinced the two go hand in hand. Some people have absolutely no consideration for others or the environment.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mcowell For This Useful Post:

Totally Outrages. Surely through the booking sheet/ booking company, associated dates, there must be some evidence and trail of who these people may be? Name and shame along with huge fines, and barred for life from such wilderness areas. Its hard to believe that people would do this.

It's disgusting,i wish they can klap them with a huge fine.

Reviving Troopers thread somewhat

I recently returned from Khutse. At Khutse #10 campsite I also came across a complete mess in the fire pit. Half burnt paper, bottles, tins...

I mean, seriously, who in the right mind thinks burning glass bottles and tins is a solution? And then simply leaving the mess there?

So, to the occupants of Khutse #10 over the Easter Weekend or whoever had it last up until Thursday 20th April and created the mess - well done - a big one handed clap to you.

Quite.

The mind boggles.

As Stan said on the levy thread, low volume high cost tourism makes sense. Control the quantity of tourists. If we can just somehow regulate the QUALITY of visitors because as we all know money can buy neither manners nor common sense.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2017/04/27 at 03:39 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    If we can just somehow regulate the QUALITY of visitors because as we all know money can buy neither manners nor common sense.
    Aah, if only. Maybe it's time for a wild camping competency certificate

Have to say I also gave Bigfoot a rev on my way out. To my mind, for the increased fee's we pay them for camping - the very least we should get is a clean, raked campsite.

Good for giving him a talking to.

But for me there will always be the flip side of the coin. Yes, for so much money we have expectations of the operator. But why does some find it so hard to clean up after themselves? As I see it some onus of cleaning of the campsite must and should always remain with the visitor. Sure the operator is responsible for maintenance, a toilet seat or bucket shower breaks, replace it. But cleaning firepits and removing your own rubbish are slightly grey areas.

I sometime wonder what the relative simple people that must maintain the campsites think of these seemingly "rich" and educated people that leave such a lot of rubbish.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2017/04/27 at 04:09 PM.

Last Year in November we stayed at Kori 1 for 3 nights. The campsite was very clean but on one day, during our Gamedrive someone has used 'our' toilet when we came back, I went to the toilet and there was sh.. everywhere ! Put my gloves on and had to clean the whole thing, I don't have problems with using 'our' toilet but keep it clean please, I do prefer to do other things during my Holiday !

Whilst we were there ( 13-03-17 till21-03-17 ) Bigfoot cleaned up all their campsites, and removed all wild growth round the ablutions and campsite as well as removing all rubish they found, we were well impressed

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Henk67 For This Useful Post: