Mabua Gate Camp Site

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Mabua Gate Camp Site

Good day everyone,

We will be camping at the Mabua Gate Camp in July this year and I would just like to ask something.. We are a big group going there and we have booked for Mabua Gate Camp 1 & 2. I would like to know how far apart the two camp sites are from one another (as in walking distance) and whether it will be possible to fit 30 people on one camp site or shall we keep it split in two? And lastly, where exactly is the ablution located?

If you have camped at the Mabua Gate Camp before please feel free to share your experience and/or anything to keep in mind and be aware of.

Kind regards

Default Re: Mabua Gate Camp Site

We have camped there twice.

I will never camp there for more than a one night stop over. Why did on earth did you decide on the gate camp?
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2017/01/24 at 08:39 PM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Yes exactly my thought. I understood (as we ere told by the staff) the gate camp is for late arrivals. I didn't even know you could book it in advance (and if you could why you would...)

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    We have camped there twice.

I will never camp there for more than a one night stop over. Why did on earth did you decide on the gate camp?

Well because all the pans were booked out when we wanted to book.. So we settled for the gate camp.. But the replies don't look too good.. 🙁
    What's your reason for not wanting to stay there and can you perhaps answer one or two of my previous questions?🙂
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by 27 - Kieries View Post
    Good day everyone,

We will be camping at the Mabua Gate Camp in July this year and I would just like to ask something.. We are a big group going there and we have booked for Mabua Gate Camp 1 & 2. I would like to know how far apart the two camp sites are from one another (as in walking distance) and whether it will be possible to fit 30 people on one camp site or shall we keep it split in two? And lastly, where exactly is the ablution located?

If you have camped at the Mabua Gate Camp before please feel free to share your experience and/or anything to keep in mind and be aware of.

Kind regards
    My reasons for not staying there are firstly you are very far from all the pans. At least an hour's drive on a fairly corrugated track. You are going to miss most of what makes Mabua special. Second don't be fooled by the word "ablution". There is a building called the ablution building, but that is it.

If it was the only space in Mabua, I would have done a trip to another area in Botswana, to me staying at the gate for more than one night is a utter waste of money. Sorry to be blunt.

To answer your question: camp 1 and 2 is within walking distance and in sight of each other. But I will still not walk around free at night.
    The ablutions is also within sight of both of them, again, I will not walk there at night from either campsites.

Just another observation: for 30 people you should technically have booked 3, or even all 4, camp sites even if you plan to squeeze them in on two. Max allowed people per campsite is 8 IIRC.

My reasons for not staying there are firstly you are very far from all the pans. At least an hour's drive on a fairly corrugated track. You are going to miss most of what makes Mabua special. Second don't be fooled by the word "ablution". There is a building called the ablution building, but that is it.

If it was the only space in Mabua, I would have done a trip to another area in Botswana, to me staying at the gate for more than one night is a utter waste of money. Sorry to be blunt.

To answer your question: camp 1 and 2 is within walking distance and in sight of each other. But I will still not walk around free at night.
    The ablutions is also within sight of both of them, again, I will not walk there at night from either campsites.

Just another observation: for 30 people you should technically have booked 3, or even all 4, camp sites even if you plan to squeeze them in on two. Max allowed people per campsite is 8 IIRC.
    Okay great! Thanks a lot for your feedback - I appreciate it

the drive from Tsabong is not that far, max 1 1,5 hrs. So you could consider staying at Berry Bush in Tsabong and make it a day trip?
    But double check on Berry Bush, I heard rumors she closed the place down...but she seems still bookable

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Oosy For This Useful Post:

I have had fantastic lion encounters overthere.
    Yes a bit noisy due to the generator and yes far away from the pan......but a lot better than not beeing in the park.

Enjoy your stay ;-)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jpseekles For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Oosy View Post
    the drive from Tsabong is not that far, max 1 1,5 hrs. So you could consider staying at Berry Bush in Tsabong and make it a day trip?
    But double check on Berry Bush, I heard rumors she closed the place down...but she seems still bookable
    Oosy, sorry to disagree. I have never done the deep sand rd in less than 2 hours. trying to run that rd too fast will end in tears. However I do agree with your advice on a day trip to Tsabong.

Last I heard Berry bush was closed.

While the gate camp may not be ideal for smaller groups, I think it may well suit a large group. 15 to a camp site will be a push at anywhere other than Mabua sites 2,3 or 4
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    While the gate camp may not be ideal for smaller groups, I think it may well suit a large group. 15 to a camp site will be a push at anywhere other than Mabua sites 2,3 or 4
    And don't forget the neighbours. I think it would ruin my trip if I arrived at a campsite, say Mabua 4 for example, and 30 people were occupying #2 and 3.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Stranger, you do have a point about the suitability of the gate sites for such a large groups.

But if "ablution" or water played some role in the booking, it might be a disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    And don't forget the neighbours. I think it would ruin my trip if I arrived at a campsite, say Mabua 4 for example, and 30 people were occupying #2 and 3.
    Mabua #4 is about 1 km away from #2 and 3, so that would not be an issue.

But "yes" agree with Christa here, the gate camp site is really like an emergency and it would be difficult to see some wildlife unless driving into the pans.
    Then again you will be doing someone a favour for not "overcrowding" the park camps with such number of people
    Last edited by Kalahari Safari; 2017/01/26 at 09:10 AM.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Stranger, you do have a point about the suitability of the gate sites for such a large groups.

But if "ablution" or water played some role in the booking, it might be a disappointment.
    I have this picture in my head of 30 people, all carrying toilet paper and a toilet brush, lined up in an orderly queue waiting to use the long drop. There is also a supervisor there with an egg timer in his hand and a whistle. Hell my imagination is going mad this morning.

After the long drop, they must then report to the shower stall where there is a guy with a huge garden pressure sprayer, pumping away like crazy so every one can shower. Looks like the conveyor belt scene from "Just another brick in the wall"
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jpseekles View Post
    I have had fantastic lion encounters overthere.
    Yes a bit noisy due to the generator and yes far away from the pan......but a lot better than not beeing in the park.

Enjoy your stay ;-)
    Thanks! I totally agree with your statement

Quote Originally Posted by 27 - Kieries View Post
    Thanks! I totally agree with your statement
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeS6zUUxprI&t=2s

This movie my wife made at the campsite.......ok ok music a bit overdone but it was a great moment.

Leaving tonight to Johannesburg for another 3 week trip Khutse and Kgalagadi

Just love your country

regards Johan

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jpseekles For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    I have this picture in my head of 30 people, all carrying toilet paper and a toilet brush, lined up in an orderly queue waiting to use the long drop. There is also a supervisor there with an egg timer in his hand and a whistle. Hell my imagination is going mad this morning.

After the long drop, they must then report to the shower stall where there is a guy with a huge garden pressure sprayer, pumping away like crazy so every one can shower. Looks like the conveyor belt scene from "Just another brick in the wall"
    agree it does not take much to overload a long drop..........30 people, man oh man!
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

Yes but 30 people at the two short drops at the gate, muuucch worse.

You may want to bush camp on cut line. 10k from the gate, and free!!

Quote Originally Posted by jpseekles View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeS6zUUxprI&t=2s

This movie my wife made at the campsite.......ok ok music a bit overdone but it was a great moment.

Leaving tonight to Johannesburg for another 3 week trip Khutse and Kgalagadi

Just love your country

regards Johan
    Now, you guys know I speak Lion

they were saying

LUNCHLUNCHLUNCHLUNCHLUNCHLUNCHLUNCHLUNCH

BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Williepiet View Post
    You may want to bush camp on cut line. 10k from the gate, and free!!

aannnd ....... just how big a hole must they dig now ? eeeuuuuuwwwww

BMW R1200R

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast