Baviaans camping towing





Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    38
    Posts
    800
    Thanked: 255

    Default Baviaans camping towing

    I place this here in the hope to get more response than I did on the Eastern Cape thread
    We are looking to stay 3 x nights in the the Baviaans kloof, camping.
    This will be our first visit to the area and looking to go there mid-April
    We will be traveling with our BL Miskruier

    Questions

    1. What is the weather like in Apr
    2. Typical road conditions to expect?
    3. Where to camp? we will travel East to West.

    Seen good reviews on Bruintjieskraal, Kudu Khaya, Uitspan etc,comments?
    Last edited by Hilux01; 2017/01/23 at 04:04 PM.
    2013 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4-D 4x4
    Bush Lapa 810 Miskruier
    ORRA Call Sign: X85
    Gerbers Alu Canopy
    Howlingmoon RTT




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Harties
    Posts
    1,282
    Thanked: 472

    Default Re: Baviaans camping towing

    Wish I could be of more help.

    We traveled through Baviaan's April last year.
    We were in the area for a week and had no rain.

    I think towing through Baviaan's could be quite challenging, and very challenging should it rain.

    Hopefully others with more knowledge will chip in with comments and advice.
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, you’re missing the point.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to PRA For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Harties
    Posts
    1,282
    Thanked: 472

    Default Re: Baviaans camping towing

    Oh - we camped at at Kudu Kaya, just before you enter the reserve.
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, you’re missing the point.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Strand
    Age
    38
    Posts
    181
    Thanked: 18

    Default Re: Baviaans camping towing

    Hi Hilux01

    Went through Baviaans last year June towing a trailer. No problems(West to East)

    We stayed at Doringkloof 4X4 campsite. Nice grassed campsites and a few nice 4X4 routes to drive if you have the time.

    Regards
    Jean
    His:
    2008 Triton 2.5 4x4 S/S - Longdistance roamer

    Hers:
    1999 Pajero 3.5 V6 SWB - TOY
    Homemade front bumper.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to JeanR For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Despatch
    Age
    45
    Posts
    15
    Thanked: 7

    Default Re: Baviaans camping towing

    Kudu kayaking is a nice place to camp at. Not bad driving conditions and there is a off road track just a stone from the site.

    Best regards/ Alles wat mooi is

    Jan J de Bruin

    Sel: 083 286 2477
    Epos: [email protected]

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Despatch
    Age
    45
    Posts
    15
    Thanked: 7

    Default Re: Baviaans camping towing

    Quote Originally Posted by janx5deBruin View Post
    Kudu kayaa nice place to camp at. Not bad driving conditions and there is a off road track just a stone from the site.
    Kudu Kaya
    Last edited by janx5deBruin; 2017/01/24 at 07:27 AM.

    Best regards/ Alles wat mooi is

    Jan J de Bruin

    Sel: 083 286 2477
    Epos: [email protected]

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    38
    Posts
    800
    Thanked: 255

    Default Re: Baviaans camping towing

    Thanks for the feedback
    You mention that the spots like Kudu Khaya and Bruintjieskraal are outside the reserve, how is the camping inside the reserve, believe it is EC Parks?
    2013 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4-D 4x4
    Bush Lapa 810 Miskruier
    ORRA Call Sign: X85
    Gerbers Alu Canopy
    Howlingmoon RTT




  10. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Stellenryk, Bellville
    Age
    63
    Posts
    3,267
    Thanked: 289

    Default Re: Baviaans camping towing

    Doringkloof has very nice camping sites on grass next to a dam. Uitspan also very nice. On the Eastern side, Komdomo before you enter the Kloof. Kudu Kaya is nice but I personally would give it a skip.

    Water levels should be fine that time of the year. I towed my off-road trailer from West to East through the Kloof without any issues. You must just be careful through the wilderness section, oncoming traffic could pose a problem. I normally stop often and listen for oncoming traffic. If I hear a vehicle. I will wait at a suitable spot for it to first pass and then I continue.
    2007 Colt Rodeo 3000I V6 D/C 4x4
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    General Grabber AT3's
    Challenger Bundu Basher Off-road trailer aka Bos Parra

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blackie For This Useful Post:


  12. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Despatch
    Age
    45
    Posts
    15
    Thanked: 7

    Default Re: Baviaans camping towing

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilux01 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback
    You mention that the spots like Kudu Khaya and Bruintjieskraal are outside the reserve, how is the camping inside the reserve, believe it is EC Parks?
    Nice private tent layouts with power and ablusion blocks. Entre from Patensie side. Nice roads. Dusty but good.

    Best regards/ Alles wat mooi is

    Jan J de Bruin

    Sel: 083 286 2477
    Epos: [email protected]

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Despatch
    Age
    35
    Posts
    25
    Thanked: 14

    Default Re: Baviaans camping towing

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilux01 View Post
    I place this here in the hope to get more response than I did on the Eastern Cape thread
    We are looking to stay 3 x nights in the the Baviaans kloof, camping.
    This will be our first visit to the area and looking to go there mid-April
    We will be traveling with our BL Miskruier

    Questions

    1. What is the weather like in Apr
    2. Typical road conditions to expect?
    3. Where to camp? we will travel East to West.

    Seen good reviews on Bruintjieskraal, Kudu Khaya, Uitspan etc,comments?
    April is normally a good time of year for the Port Elizabeth area as the wind isn't that bad. I personally enjoy Bruintjieskraal, sites 11 to 14, but there is no power and sites are nice and far apart from each other. Kudu Kaya is also a old favourite and has power. Sites are also much closer to each other. At Kudu Kaya you can hike up the kloof and swim in the pools.

    In the reserve, there are places like Rooihoek and Doodsklip. I have not stayed there but have stopped there and checked it out and I would give it a skip.

    Doorningkloof is very popular, one of the places I have not stayed at yet. It is on my list for the next trip. Friends of mine have enjoyed it there.

    In December I did a tour with MrTolbos, we stayed at the following places:

    Speekhout - will skip it next time. No power, cold bush shower. Only one sit and it is not level.
    Duiwekloof - very very nice green camp sites. Power and hot water showers. We had dinner and breakfast there and food was great. Rock pool to swim in and you can hike up to the caves and up the kloof.
    Uitspan - also very nice green camp sites. Power and hot water showers. Dam to swim in and a beautiful kloof to hike up.

    I hope this helps a bit.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to BNaude For This Useful Post:


  15. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Despatch
    Age
    35
    Posts
    25
    Thanked: 14

    Default Re: Baviaans camping towing

    Quote Originally Posted by BNaude View Post
    April is normally a good time of year for the Port Elizabeth area as the wind isn't that bad. I personally enjoy Bruintjieskraal, sites 11 to 14, but there is no power and sites are nice and far apart from each other. Kudu Kaya is also a old favourite and has power. Sites are also much closer to each other. At Kudu Kaya you can hike up the kloof and swim in the pools.

    In the reserve, there are places like Rooihoek and Doodsklip. I have not stayed there but have stopped there and checked it out and I would give it a skip.

    Doorningkloof is very popular, one of the places I have not stayed at yet. It is on my list for the next trip. Friends of mine have enjoyed it there.

    In December I did a tour with MrTolbos, we stayed at the following places:

    Speekhout - will skip it next time. No power, cold bush shower. Only one sit and it is not level.
    Duiwekloof - very very nice green camp sites. Power and hot water showers. We had dinner and breakfast there and food was great. Rock pool to swim in and you can hike up to the caves and up the kloof.
    Uitspan - also very nice green camp sites. Power and hot water showers. Dam to swim in and a beautiful kloof to hike up.

    I hope this helps a bit.
    You can also tow your trailer, just take it slowly through the reserve section as the road is normally bad. Normally after heavy rains they close the reserve as the water levels are to high to pass through at places like Smitskraal.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to BNaude For This Useful Post:


  17. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    52
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: Baviaans camping towing

    Looking for camping in the reserve, only two places, Doodsklip and Rooihoek. Part of Eastern Cape Nature conservation. and book on line, http://bookonline.ecpta.co.za/. My suggestion is Doodsklip, plus side baboons less of an issue, if dam got water, nice place to swim an fish, down side, o to road, can here and see passing traffic, but is minimal if you stay there in the week.

    Travelling through with a trailer, no issues, take it easy, engage 4x4, or even low range on steep hills, where the surface is poor, or(good if you get my meaning).

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to desert runner For This Useful Post:


  19. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Deep south - mink, manure & marijuana
    Age
    69
    Posts
    397
    Thanked: 143

    Default Re: Baviaans camping towing

    Has anyone camped at Duiwekloof? Is the campsite offroad trailer "friendly"?
    Sam
    ZS1SAM
    V5/ZS1SAM

  20. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Randburg
    Posts
    15
    Thanked: 7

    Default Baviaans camping towing

    Quote Originally Posted by SamM View Post
    Has anyone camped at Duiwekloof? Is the campsite offroad trailer "friendly"?
    Yes. I was there for an evening this past Thursday night, although I did stay in the main lodge. The campsite is easily accessible for any trailer.
    Last edited by Thug; 2019/07/29 at 07:08 PM.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Thug For This Useful Post:


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •