Amarok, twist lock cupholder converted to phone holder

Default Amarok, twist lock cupholder converted to phone holder

After I bought my amarok I was quite disappointed to see that apart from a cup holder there’s not a lot of accesories for the two twist lock points in the dash… or I just can’t find them.
    You can get some Brodit accessories from amazon at a hefty price…
    So since my cup holder didn’t have the inside bracket to hold a small size cup or bottle and since it didn’t look to me as if I could get the inside seperately I decided to use the other part to try and make a holder for my phone.

I hate these holders that sucks onto you windscreen because I have found some of them very flimsy. Most of them are a general fits all sizes holder that you need to adjust every time you put the phone in etc… bottom line I don’t like them…
    So I had a front part of a i-Blason phone cover for a S5 at home which I didn’t use, and it turned out that my iPhone 7 when in its i-Blason cover (back part that fits over the phone) sits perfectly in this front part of the other cover with a little bit of play…

So my plan was to cut off the front of the cup holder and screw the front cover part to this through the belt clip….
    Some modification of both the cup holder and cover was needed to get to the solution.
    I must say it works rather well and it’s sturdy enough so I can press the home button with one fingers alone and it will register and go to home without needing to hold the phone… Because the iPhone 7 doesn’t have a physical push button anymore you have to properly press it for it to register…

The holder sits nicely left of the steering wheel so that I can just see the whole of the phone screen when driving, and with me being tall and having the steering wheel extended as far as possible it also doesn’t get in the way of my fingers when operating the left hand stalk behind the steering wheel…

I can now use the speakerphone of the phone itself with comfort as well as use the GPS with siri while the phone site in a convenient place, out of the way but easy to see etc…

Would really have liked if VW had a proper holder like this available for the amarok… You can do so much with these twist lock points and yet there’s not much available to use it with…

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0572.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	211.7 KB 
ID:	439012Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0577.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	439013Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0578.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	439014Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0583.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	439015

Default Re: Amarok, twist lock cupholder converted to phone holder

Somewhere somehow someone must be working on a revolutionary phone car holder/mounting point which will be adopted by all vehicle and phone manufacturers in the future. Surely!
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    Somewhere somehow someone must be working on a revolutionary phone car holder/mounting point which will be adopted by all vehicle and phone manufacturers in the future. Surely!
    Its called Bluetooth!
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Its called Bluetooth!
    Nope, that's just the connectivity, and glad we have come that far. Nearly everybody somehow retrofits a phone holder or has a place for the phone in the center console etc...
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

It is actually quite disappointing that car manufacturers do not all provide a proper place to put your phone. The only vehicle I had that did have it was my 2002 Isuzu and that was when phones were a lot smaller still. There should be a proper shelf next to the steering wheel or a tray next to the gear lever.
    Well done Willem.
    Tyrannosaurus R5 and a second hand British Tata
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    Jan your signature says it all