AirLock in Fuel System?

Default AirLock in Fuel System?

HI All, My Amarok recently ticked over 200k km. Over december I went to Dbn and then had a service (Oil and Filters inc Fuel) before heading down to PE and back in the first week of Jan. I then left the wagon at home while I toured the worlds glamour spots, Bangalore, Beirut, and Jeddah, for just over 2 weeks.

I tried to start the old girl up yesterday and all was well, and then as I reversed down the drive way it cut out. Then swung it over and it was sounding like a petrol with no spark plugs. Got out and checked all the fluids and all was well. Then swung it over for about 10 sec and it eventually got back to running. Was a bit iffy for the first few hundred meters and then all was back to normal. This am started as per normal.

It seems to be like, air somehow got into the fuel system, and then the system self purged? I have not had this before and I often leave the wagon for a week or two while I am out the country. My first thought is that the fuel filter change somehow allowed air into the fuel system since this was recently changed?

I don't know much about common rail fuel delivery systems. Does the fuel rail maintain high pressure after you turn off, or only when the engine starts swinging? Can I be loosing pressure somewhere through a worn o-ring of similar?Do i need to worry? Perhaps I just need to make sure my wife uses the vehicle when I am out of town at least once?

Any ideas from the great and the good of the forum?

Default Re: AirLock in Fuel System?

If it's a once off occurrence I would not worry too much. If it keeps on doing that I would start to look for a problem. It's probably not impossible that there was an air bubble left somewhere in a pipe after the filter change.

My logic (that could be wrong) tells me that a bubble that's compressed and shrinked in size under pressure could very well get "stuck" in the fuel line. When standing long enough for it to expand again I would think it's possible to do this.
    So the week or two standing time could have given it a chance to expand again to take up more volume in the fuel line to cause this. I would assume that there should be some type of shutoff valve to the fuel injection system, so I do think it will remain under some amount of pressure for some time. Previous cars that I worked on, although petrol, retained quite some pressure in the fuel injection systems, and spews out a lot of petrol when removing some of the fuel lines from pressure kept in the system.

I would not worry to leave the vehicle standing for a few weeks. It would obviously not be a bad thing to drive it once a week or so when you're gone, for the battery as well... I leave cars standing over December for the best part of three weeks and never ever had a problem with the car struggling to start up again after that.

While on the issue of fuel in the Amarok; what happens if you let the vehicle run out of diesel. I am told it is quite a performance to get the fuel system primed?
    You knowledgeable folk, some advice please.
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Donald H View Post
    While on the issue of fuel in the Amarok; what happens if you let the vehicle run out of diesel. I am told it is quite a performance to get the fuel system primed?
    Thanks,
    I ran out of diesel on a trip from Durban to JHB. What a story that was.

On older diesel systems you could prime the system manually via a pump on the diesel filter, the Amarok doesn't have this function.

We phoned our local dealership and what they advised was to switch the ignition on for 30 seconds then off for 10 seconds and to repeat this process +/- 10 times. This would prime the system.

The diesel pump relies on the diesel in the tank to keep cool and lubricated, it is therefor not recommended to run the tank close to empty

Quote Originally Posted by Donald H View Post
    Thanks,
    You simply start it, wait a few seconds with the ignition in on position like you would if you were waiting for glow plugs and then start it.

That is if the virtual empty did not register on the computer and you really did manage to run it bone dry because you had a 35 liter ding in the fuel tank from one of the boulders on Babboons pass.
    What a life!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Quack For This Useful Post: