KGALAGADI Trip - Advice please about towing a Bush Lapa on less travelled 4x4 routes

Default KGALAGADI Trip - Advice please about towing a Bush Lapa on less travelled 4x4 routes

We are wanting to visit the Kgalagadi between July and September) can we go it alone (in terms of safety) or do we need to travel with 2 or more vehicles.
    We are wanting to do the north and eastern parts around Kaa and Mabuasehube.
    I am towing the Bush Lapa with a Land Cruiser 200. How thick are the sand roads? Are there camping sites in that area and is there water? What are the sites like? Can you arrive and camp or do you have to book well in advance? What permit do you need and where do you get it?

Default Re: KGALAGADI Trip - Advice please about towing a Bush Lapa on less travelled 4x4 rou

Quick facts

Best time to go:
    March to May (End of the Wet season when the riverbeds attract animals)

May to September - Dry Season - Winter

• Warm, mild weather.
    • May is a great month for wildlife viewing.

• Warm clothes are needed for the morning and evening chill..
    • The sky is hazy with a lot of dust in the air.

Questions:
    How thick are the sand roads? You need ground clearance, if you stay on the roads you'll be fine.
    Are there camping sites in that area and is there water? Yes and yes, However check with your booking agent.
    What are the sites like? Unfettered bushveld with mostly no amenities.
    Can you arrive and camp or do you have to book well in advance? Book book book !!!
    What permit do you need and where do you get it? Depends on your destination, best to get this from a booking agent.

There is a commercial member lady on this here forums that is brilliant with bookings for Botswana, not sure if she does Kgalagadi too.
    Last edited by Rustie; 2017/01/20 at 01:02 PM.

Default Re: KGALAGADI Trip - Advice please about towing a Bush Lapa on less travelled 4x4 rou

Quote Originally Posted by AWK View Post
    We are wanting to visit the Kgalagadi between July and September) can we go it alone (in terms of safety) or do we need to travel with 2 or more vehicles.
    We are wanting to do the north and eastern parts around Kaa and Mabuasehube.
    I am towing the Bush Lapa with a Land Cruiser 200. How thick are the sand roads? Are there camping sites in that area and is there water? What are the sites like? Can you arrive and camp or do you have to book well in advance? What permit do you need and where do you get it?
    Nothing wrong with your rig...should have no trouble on any of the roads........loads of information
    on the Botswana section of this site.......and contact Tara from Botswana Footprints for bookings....happy travels
    IF I HAVE TO WORK, I AM NOT DOING MY JOB

2010 DISCO 4 TDV6 SE - Swambo
    2012 Q7 - Me
    Land Cruizer ( INKUNZI )

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FransBR For This Useful Post:

AWK

Quote Originally Posted by Rustie View Post
    Quick facts

Best time to go:
    March to May (End of the Wet season when the riverbeds attract animals)

May to September - Dry Season - Winter

• Warm, mild weather.
    • May is a great month for wildlife viewing.

• Warm clothes are needed for the morning and evening chill..
    • The sky is hazy with a lot of dust in the air.

Questions:
    How thick are the sand roads? You need ground clearance, if you stay on the roads you'll be fine.
    Are there camping sites in that area and is there water? Yes and yes, However check with your booking agent.
    What are the sites like? Unfettered bushveld with mostly no amenities.
    Can you arrive and camp or do you have to book well in advance? Book book book !!!
    What permit do you need and where do you get it? Depends on your destination, best to get this from a booking agent.

There is a commercial member lady on this here forums that is brilliant with bookings for Botswana, not sure if she does Kgalagadi too.

Thanks for the info!