Default Land Cruiser 80-Series GURU required. Also some advice...

Good day

Who can you guys recommend in the Centurion/Pretoria/Midrand area (further, if the person is that good) that you would consider to be a proper "Land Cruiser Whisperer"?

I have a 1992 80 Series 4500 (carburetor) as a weekend car in fantastic condition, brilliantly maintained. I am embarking on a trip through Southern Africa and would like a knowledgeable person to look this car through thoroughly and give it a good service - the type of guy that has worked with these cars for years, that can hear when a car has something to say ;-) One that knows the idiosyncrasies of an old Land Cruiser...

What extras would you suggest I take along with me - things an 80-Series might need from time to time? Extra fuel filters, a V-belt, fuses, tyre repair kit, tow straps etc of course, but what else would be a good idea to cart along? I am sort of handy with car things (by that I know that sometimes I will need to use more than a hammer to fix something) and can do some basic repairs. Fuel pump? Wheel studs.......?

Your advice is all greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Land Cruiser 80-Series GURU required. Also some advice...

Welcome.

Unfortunately I cannot help with your question.

I December I took my Cruiser on a 3500km round trip. Before leaving I changed the oil (engine, diffs and T/Case) and all filters. I made sure all cooling (engine and auto box) was in order.

No problems.
    Kobus

1) have it serviced now
    2) drive it to work for at least a week in peak hour traffic

if nothing breaks in that week, it's not likely to break anyway

I'd take belts, oil, filters, grease, the usual stuff.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I would also like to know who are the top cruiser mechanics? N1 4x4?

Hi Fliboy

I have a 1996 4500 80 Series.

I use Ralph at Toyo Service Centre in Krugersdorp.
    He has always serviced my vehicle and seems to be well regarded in the Cruiser industry.
    Their website is
    toyoservicecentre.co.za

The only thing I ever take with is Extra Fuel!!!! LOL

Regards

Len
    1996 : 80 Series Landcruiser 4500 GX SW

All of the above.

+ Take it for a few hundred km outing. I needs to sit at cruising speed for a few hours.
    Kobus

Fliboy some good advice. Have a look at your engine on the left hand side. There is a waterpipe that comes down from the heater valve and goes underneath the intake manifold to the cylinder head. Where it connects to the cylinder head is a small piece of rubber pipe that acts as the connection piece. Have this replaced before venturing anywhere.

Nobody knows about this little hose until it cracks at the most inoppertune moment. I have the T-shirt and so does a number of other people.

Google "pesky little water hose on Land Cruiser". For the rest I don't know the Cruiser people up North unfortunately.
    Last edited by Francois Theron; 2017/01/20 at 01:22 PM.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

Thank you so much for all the answers! It seems that these Cruisers are the same as Valiants form the old days: spend a couple of hours looking through anything, change the oil and maintain it well and it will be as reliable as the universe..!

Drivetrain lubrication then, that pesky little manifold pipe and a decent service!

Please ad more if you guys have more ideas. Always easier to sort these little things out in your own garage than next to a dusty road somewhere ;-)

Another question: Is the alternator strong enough to carry the load of a second deep cycle battery on a c-tek charger system?

Fliboy maybe one other thing. At the bottom of the front hubs where the steering arm connects. There are four bolts on each side and they tend to come loose/fall out. Have a look. Better to fit longer studs with double lock nuts
    Upside down in this pic
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

This old girl will serve you well. Take a paired belt set and a set of water pipes. If your brake pads are still good, don't bother with pads. Extend the breathers. Not plugs and patches. What Kobus said. The right oils. Spare filters. Spare spark plugs. Fit a new thermostat. Fit a new radiator cap. Make sure the power steering pump pipes are still good. Make sure the accelerator cable is healthy and won't drop you in the sticks. Spare bulbs. Spare number plate. All the right reflective stickers, in all the right places.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Check the exhaust system. Mine was still the std one it came out with and it snapped clean on a rusted joint on a recent trip to Sani. Trying to find someone to repair it on a long weekend was not easy.
    1996 : 80 Series Landcruiser 4500 GX SW

one thing that hapened to me last year was one of my caliper bolts in the front fell out. The caliper then locks the wheel by getting stuck inside the rim, easy way to figure out this happens is then if you go forward wheel is locked, going back it goes fine. (carry either a set of bolts with you or in a pinch use a bolt from your front tow hook just add a few washers :-)

You are supposed to put those bolts in with locktite
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

I like to carry a set of front wheel bearings and grease, had it happen that the bearings collapsed rather quickly thanks to a damaged oring on the hub lock, unexpensive exercise..

If semi floating rear, the bearings are generally very good for a very long time as they swim in axle oil, if full floating then carry a spare as well as per the front, it really is cheap insurance..
    Last edited by Marcochezzi; 2017/01/30 at 02:00 PM.
    Regards - Marco Chezzi

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data..

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Fliboy some good advice. Have a look at your engine on the left hand side. There is a waterpipe that comes down from the heater valve and goes underneath the intake manifold to the cylinder head. Where it connects to the cylinder head is a small piece of rubber pipe that acts as the connection piece. Have this replaced before venturing anywhere.

Nobody knows about this little hose until it cracks at the most inoppertune moment. I have the T-shirt and so does a number of other people.

Google "pesky little water hose on Land Cruiser". For the rest I don't know the Cruiser people up North unfortunately.
    Yes...that pesky little pipe!!!
    “If you want to go into the bush, take a Ford. If you want to get back, take a Landcruiser!”

Series 80 'Cruiser GX Diesel 1996
    Cooper ST Maxx 265/75/16 tyres;
    ARB bullbar; 9000kg T-Max winch; Outback roofrack; Double fuel tank; Outback Extreme spare wheel carrier x 2; Air Spring boosters; Racor diesel filter; NL dual battery set-up; 2 x 100w solar panels; Big Country gullwings, Front Runner drawer system; Stofpad 4x4 drop-down fridge slide; NL 78-litre double door fridge/freezer; NL 60-litre freezer; Eeziawn rooftop tent; Eeziawn awning.

SWAMBO: Honda CRV 2.2 Diesel

Previously: '98 Defender 110 HT TDi, Landy SIII S/W, Hilux D/C 4x4,
    Isuzu 2,3 4x4, Isuzu 2,0 4x4, Isuzu 1600 4x4, Chev Nomad, Cheetah beach buggy!