All Terrain Tyres for Grand Vitara Summit - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: All Terrain Tyres for Grand Vitara Summit

Its from the Steel rims. They have these knoblies that are located in those positions.
    2008 Suzuki Jimny - Mine / 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2l V6 Auto - Hers

Cool so I am looking to get these: https://www.errolstyres.co.za/tyre/y...2/2356018HG015

I will get the 235/60/R18 to replace my current Dunlop SP Sport 01 (225 / 60 R18 ).

I do not think I will be able to replace my spare wheel as well as I don't think it will fit inside the spare wheel hard cover.

Will I be okay if I have to use my spare Dunlop SP Sport 01 (225 / 60 R18 ) with 3 other Geolander G015 A/T ( 235/60/R18 ) ?
    Last edited by dleerob; 2017/02/10 at 02:45 PM.

Why do you want to use the spare wheel cover? - that is for city cars

Wink Re: All Terrain Tyres for Grand Vitara Summit

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Why do you want to use the spare wheel cover? - that is for city cars

You're actually right. I didn't realize the spare wheel cover just comes off so easily. I just checked and now I have no spare wheel cover. I can live with that. You dont want to hide all-terrains on the back of your vehicle anyway

a spare wheel cover helps protect the spare from sun damage, even if its just a vinyl cover it is worth having in the long run.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

Quote Originally Posted by dleerob View Post
    Cool so I am looking to get these: https://www.errolstyres.co.za/tyre/y...2/2356018HG015

I will get the 235/60/R18 to replace my current Dunlop SP Sport 01 (225 / 60 R18 ).

I do not think I will be able to replace my spare wheel as well as I don't think it will fit inside the spare wheel hard cover.

Will I be okay if I have to use my spare Dunlop SP Sport 01 (225 / 60 R18 ) with 3 other Geolander G015 A/T ( 235/60/R18 ) ?
    Gv is all wheel drive, all wheels must be same size if you want to use your spare. Else will destroy transfer case.

235/60/18 should still fit under the standard cover. Agree with the sentiment to get a vinyl or canvas cover, to protect against exposure to the sun. For a trip here or there, it would not matter much if you leave the cover at home, provided you drive with the cover on the rest of the time.
    Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6 Auto
    Ironman Suspension kit
    Suzuki Snorkel
    WECA off road bumper
    Frontrunner roof rack

Venter custom 4x4 trailer

225/60 R18 or 225/65 R17 are standard
    The cover does not fit over a 235/60R18 or 235/65R17
    I have swapped the 18" rims on my Summit for the 17" Dune rims to get a 65 aspect ratio - so the 235/65R18 (to get the closest circumference) does not accommodate the hard cover. Not even after 25000km wear.
    I do not think that exposure will be significant if your car is mostly park under a roof, like during working hours such as is the case for most of us. Also, rotating the spare into the mix will further prevent this.

Quote Originally Posted by GKE View Post
    Gv is all wheel drive, all wheels must be same size if you want to use your spare. Else will destroy transfer case.
    Iv had mixed answers on this. Most people have said that I can use my original highway terrain 225/60/R18 as a spare with my new 235/60/R18 all terrain, if temporary for 100km or so.

Anyone else have insight on this?

Well I've replace my 4 tyres.

I still need to replace the spare. If anyone in the Durban area is looking for a "Dunlop SP Sport 01 - 225 / 60 / R18", my spare has never been used so will be trying to sell it.

I think you are doing the right thing - do 5 tyre rotation as per the manual and your tyres will all be around the same size and wear. I wouldn't want to be 1000+km from home with a puncture and be worrying about driving with different tyres

Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres

Iv had mixed answers on this. Most people have said that I can use my original highway terrain 225/60/R18 as a spare with my new 235/60/R18 all terrain, if temporary for 100km or so.

Anyone else have insight on this?
    Unfortunately I can only give you an opinion as well: I do not think that it will be a problem.

If I understand the system correctly, the GV works as follows (and it is based on the working of a differential - http://www.geek.com/geek-cetera/a-brilliant-explanation-of-how-a-cars-differential-works-1450429/ ):
    4H - this is some bastard mix between a 4WD and an AWD system. The computer decides the power-split between front and back, but the front and rear differentials are both open, so the left and right wheels will still rotate independently as split by the differentials (more resistance on the driveshaft leads to less rotations and vice versa).
    4HLc - Centre diff is locked, so equal power goes to both front and back, but both front and rear differentials are open, so the wheels can spin as required
    4LLc - Same as 4HLc, but with lower ratio.

In other words the amount of wheel rotation is not dictated by the car's computer, but rather by the conditions experienced. This means that a larger diameter tire (e.g. unworn tire) will not cause transmission failure, it will simply rotate less than the other three tires. I have been driving for about 1000 km with a brand new spare (different make and tread) and three worn tires (30 000 km on) and have not experienced anything strange.

The problem comes in on AWD vehicles where the computer decides how much each wheel must rotate. If I understand THAT correctly, then the car does not have traditional differentials, so a tire mismatch would lead to one or more wheels not covering the same distance as the rest. This ends up in transmission failures.

Can someone correct or second me?
    Last edited by SuzukiPiet; 2017/02/13 at 05:14 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuzukiPiet For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiPiet View Post
    Unfortunately I can only give you an opinion as well: I do not think that it will be a problem.

If I understand the system correctly, the GV works as follows (and it is based on the working of a differential - http://www.geek.com/geek-cetera/a-brilliant-explanation-of-how-a-cars-differential-works-1450429/ ):
    4H - this is some bastard mix between a 4WD and an AWD system. The computer decides the power-split between front and back, but the front and rear differentials are both open, so the left and right wheels will still rotate independently as split by the differentials (more resistance on the driveshaft leads to less rotations and vice versa).
    4HLc - Centre diff is locked, so equal power goes to both front and back, but both front and rear differentials are open, so the wheels can spin as required
    4LLc - Same as 4HLc, but with lower ratio.

In other words the amount of wheel rotation is not dictated by the car's computer, but rather by the conditions experienced. This means that a larger diameter tire (e.g. unworn tire) will not cause transmission failure, it will simply rotate less than the other three tires. I have been driving for about 1000 km with a brand new spare (different make and tread) and three worn tires (30 000 km on) and have not experienced anything strange.

The problem comes in on AWD vehicles where the computer decides how much each wheel must rotate. If I understand THAT correctly, then the car does not have traditional differentials, so a tire mismatch would lead to one or more wheels not covering the same distance as the rest. This ends up in transmission failures.

Can someone correct or second me?
    Not quite correct. The gv's computer does not control amount of torque split at TC. In 4h it is an AWD system, but without fancy torque "vectoring" as per Audi Quattro etc. Torque vectoring is not definitive for AWD. The system can accomodate slight differences in wheel diameter for wear etc but at a certain point it will start placing undue strain on TC. It states this in manual also...

@dleerob
    Did you try to source tyres locally?
    I ask 'cos I am in your area and went to Tyremart in Waterfall- and a few other places.
    Was told no AT tyres for the 18" so settled for standard Goodyear Wranglers- 235/65/18- which have a more aggressive tread than others.
    Miffed now, though they have worked just fine on rock and loose gravel. Haven't tried deep soft sand. A bit skei.
    By the way I noticed no handling difference between 225 and 235.
    Last edited by adiebear; 2017/02/13 at 09:48 PM.
    2010 Grand Vitara 2.4 man, Stofpad radiator & belly plates & lift kit, 245/60R17 Firestone Destinations, Tucson rims

Quote Originally Posted by adiebear View Post
    @dleerob
    Did you try to source tyres locally?
    I ask 'cos I am in your area and went to Tyremart in Waterfall- and a few other places.
    Was told no AT tyres for the 18" so settled for standard Goodyear Wranglers- 235/60/18- which have a more aggressive tread than others.
    Miffed now, though they have worked just fine on rock and loose gravel. Haven't tried deep soft sand. A bit skei.
    By the way I noticed no handling difference between 225 and 235.
    I ended up getting the Dunlop Grandtrek AT3: https://www.errolstyres.co.za/tyre/dunlop/at3/6926

I bought them at Hi-Q Pinetown. Got 235/ 60 R18. Havent noticed a difference in handling yet but iv only driven a little today.

I wanted the Yokohama but the suppliers didnt have stock...and I couldnt wait as im going away this weekend and my tyres were in no shape to go offroad.

Anyone know if tyre pressure should remain the same (2.4 all round) with the all terrains?
    Last edited by dleerob; 2017/02/13 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GKE View Post
    Not quite correct. The gv's computer does not control amount of torque split at TC. In 4h it is an AWD system, but without fancy torque "vectoring" as per Audi Quattro etc. Torque vectoring is not definitive for AWD. The system can accomodate slight differences in wheel diameter for wear etc but at a certain point it will start placing undue strain on TC. It states this in manual also...
    Tire slip (dont drive in 4HL on tar in any case) and different distances and speeds of tires when turning, negates any theory that different size tires should not be used. I am talking substantial differences, but don't ask me what I mean bu "substantial" But there are other reasons not to mix tire sizes or makes, which may only become apparent during an emergency!
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2017/02/14 at 08:24 AM.

I ended up getting the Dunlop Grandtrek AT3: https://www.errolstyres.co.za/tyre/dunlop/at3/6926

I bought them at Hi-Q Pinetown. Got 235/ 60 R18. Havent noticed a difference in handling yet but iv only driven a little today.

I wanted the Yokohama but the suppliers didnt have stock...and I couldnt wait as im going away this weekend and my tyres were in no shape to go offroad.

Anyone know if tyre pressure should remain the same (2.4 all round) with the all terrains?
    I drive with 2.4 on tar...but deflate to 1.6 - 2 on dirt....depending on the road condition

Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Tire slip (dont drive in 4HL on tar in any case) and different distances and speeds of tires when turning, negates any theory that different size tires should not be used. I am talking substantial differences, but don't ask me what I mean bu "substantial" But there are other reasons not to mix tire sizes or makes, which may only become apparent during an emergency!
    Not quite. The GV has a centre limited slip diff, which will wear significantly with different tyre sizes. Also it's dangerous to run different sized tyres, because you confuse the ABS system.
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2019 Suzuki Jimny - 235/75R15 M/T's, lifted
    EX 2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    EX 1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saxj For This Useful Post:

I guess that is the reason why you have to rotate the spare in after 10000km so that the difference in tyre wear do not become too much as the centre limmited diff can still accomodate a slight difference in wear.
    Erich Visser
    2015 Suzuki GV 2.4 m/t 40mm lift and Bash Plates
    2015 Off Trax Outplay Trailer
    2006 Mercedes A170 (Swambo's)
    1996 Mazda Magnum 2600 D/C 4x4 (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by ErichV View Post
    I guess that is the reason why you have to rotate the spare in after 10000km so that the difference in tyre wear do not become too much as the centre limmited diff can still accomodate a slight difference in wear.
    If you do the change, where do you introduce the new wheel? Front perhaps?
    Sent from my iPhone

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast