Time to move on....perhaps

Default Time to move on....perhaps

So we've thought that it's time to sell the Landy (110 Td5) after many great trips without any issues..... well, the air-con struggled on our last trip from the most South Western corner (Cape of Good Hope) to the most North Eastern (Crooks Corner) and back again.....not because it doesn't work, but with some days in the low 40's the air con just isn't strong enough. Oh, and dealing with water gushing in during heavy thunderstorms up north..... and the fact that at any speed above 60 talking or listening to the radio just isn't going to work, you know, the usual Defender stuff. I was a bit fed up too by the fact that I'd taken all my tools and some spare parts and didn't need any of it - what a waste! 6600 odd kilometers and the only "maintenance" was adding two pints of oil..... towing a caravan too!

Anyway, that's not what this is about, the real question is, what do we replace Jane with. I've owned a Disco 2 (everything that goes wrong with them went wrong with mine), a D3 TdV6, which scared the pants off me with it's propensity to break crankshafts and shocking cost of maintenance, then a V8 110 hardtop that I just couldn't keep the oil in, replacing every known gasket to no avail as well as never driving past a petrol station, and now Jane, a 2001 Td5 with almost 300,000 km that has been so hassle free it's unnerving. I'm not sure I'm totally done with Land Rover yet, and my thinking is along the lines of a late model Discovery 3 V8, hopefully with under 150,000 km on the clock.

Rationale is this - I don't commute, at all, so the vehicle is pure recreation. We tend to do at least two or three longish trips per year (last year it was 5) and what is important is reliability as well as enough of an air con to keep SWAMBO from losing her cool, literally and figuratively. The fuel consumption is a concern, obviously, but if all else is good, then the fuel is just a budget item that has to be borne, and beside which, the pundits assure us that the total cost of ownership between diesel and petrol is so much of a muchness that it shouldn't really concern anybody.

I've looked at Toyotas, various, but for my budget I'm looking at 4 to 5 years older and 100,000 km more than what I can get a good D3 for.... Looked at Mitsubishi and Nissan too but I don't know the vehicles at all and worry that even a minor breakdown would potentially leave me stranded. Don't want a bakkie, in any form or make, and the Ford Everest strikes me as being particularly dull, but I'm sure their owners will be quick to jump on me for that opinion.

So, how reasonable is the D3 V8 as an overland option, coming from a Defender? Or, what else would you suggest....with proper 4x4 not some feeble attempt.
    Last edited by colinwp; 2017/01/18 at 02:00 PM. Reason: typo

Default Re: Time to move on....perhaps

I moved to an Amarok from my Disco 2 TD5. It is very nice for a double cab truck - not quite the same comfort as the Disco if you're driving on wobbly sand roads, but very very nice on roads (gravel and otherwise). Fuel consumption is great, and with the 80L tank it goes forever before you have to stop.

It is not a Land Rover I know, and I still miss the 5 cylinder proper diesel sound... but that 2.0 litre engine is surprising - even though I only have the 103kW single turbo. Perhaps go for a test drive :-)
    2013 Amarok d/c TDI 103kW 4motion

Buy the D3 V8.

The TD5 is worthless, but we'll take it off your hands if you beg.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Otherwise buy a Nissan Patrol, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I can recommend the 4.0 V6 Disco 3 as well.

Just did 6700 through Namibia hassle free.

The ford motors they have in are very reliable, just don't go and drown it in clay like I did last year.

Reason for recommending it is the reliability of the actual engine (not the electronics around it) and the fact that you can pick them up for a steal.(if you can find them) in a good condition.

Good luck and happy hunting for your next perfect over landing Landy.
    Disco Youngster

"Grond Pad al die Pad"

Its very difficult to go to another vehicle after you have had a defender, theres a character with the defender that obviously you know is there, but you only really miss it when you do that first trip in your new 4x4, theres a feeling of emptiness to the holiday. When I got rid of my defender I went to a Subaru Forester, did some very nice trips in it, but they weren't the same. Then I got a hilux, and the same issue. Now I have an old Nissan Patrol, and that missing feeling I was having on holidays is gone! Its got some character. So anyway, this is my long way of saying go and have a look at some Patrols, I have a feeling the 'newer' ones also have character.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Youngster View Post

The ford motors they have in are very reliable, just don't go and drown it in clay like I did last year.

Reason for recommending it is the reliability of the actual engine (not the electronics around it) and the fact that you can pick them up for a steal.(if you can find them) in a good condition.

Hi Disco Youngster

What has been your experience in cost of ownership with the 4l V6? I am torn between the V8 and the V6 only from a price perspective. I am also looking at older model D3, except mine is also daily drive and holiday.
    Jack

2005 Discovery 3 V8 HSE - 🤩
    2004 Discovery 2 TD5 GS - sold
    1996 Discovery 1 5.7lt Chevrolet 🤤 - sold
    1994 Defender 110 Hardtop 3.9 Auto Conversion - sold 🤑

the d3 v8 is fantastic, reliable motor wise and on the open road not so heavy on fuel,huge space .. the patrol 4.5 petrol same bullet proof but 4.5km is the fuel consumption as well coil springs not air it would be a hard choice but those would be the two i would choose from, the patrol i would say would be more on fuel but could be a lot less on maintenance suspension wise if something went wrong and it can take 33 inch tyres with no mods. the d3 i have owned the patrol never but have done a lot of reading up on them. and the petrol bill has scared me off them.
    2010 d4 v8 hse hers
    2018 D/C CRUISER V8

Boom http://westernautohaus.co.za/fourway...very-3-v6-s-2/ think this is a good buy
    Current: 2018 Ford Ranger 2.2 XLT AT DC 4x2 with 1985 Jurgens Fleetline L
    Sold: 2015 Ford Ranger 2.2 XL MT DC 4x2, Sold: 2013 Ford Focus 1.6 5DR Trend, Sold: 2010 Ford Ranger 2.5TD Supercab, Sold: 2007 Ford Bantam 1.6 XLE, Sold: 2006 Ford Focus 1.6 5DR Sport

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluefin06 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JakalasM View Post
    Hi Disco Youngster

What has been your experience in cost of ownership with the 4l V6? I am torn between the V8 and the V6 only from a price perspective. I am also looking at older model D3, except mine is also daily drive and holiday.
    Hi Jakalas

The only thing I had to replace on my V6 by its own accord was the left shock air bellow combination. Last year, I drowned it and spent well over 70k to get him back up and running but that was due to my stupidity.. Prior to that I had no problems at all.

Some Stats for you:

Front and Rear Breaks - R1500.00 - Fit them yourself.
    Average service Labour - 4.5 hours @R450.00 around R2025.00
    Engine oil - Around 6 litres so call it ruffly R390.00
    Oil Filter is around R184.00
    Air Filter is around R380.00
    Spark plugs, you need 6 so work on around R780.00 for all of them.

That's a basic service on a V6.

Fuel Economy, I am doing around 13.0 liters per 100km whether it is town or open road.. Don't ask me how this works but it is what it is.. Bear in Mind that I have mud terrains, roof rack fitted and my tent is permanently fitted...

I am currently on 224 thousand kilos and of that I have done around 80 thousand under my ownership.

I absolutely love this vehicle and he has become part of our family after our Namibia trip.. I cannot see myself in any other vehicle, this caters for all of my needs.

Best advise, go for it. If it breaks be innovative, source reconditioned parts, read up and ask for advise.

If you asked me 2 years ago what a viscous fan is I would just look at you funny.. (then driving a D4D Hilux). Today, I can tell you allot about my vehicle and to some degree even fix a few things myself...

Its a Land Rover thing mate.. You going to Love them, or you are going to hate them.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Disco Youngster

"Grond Pad al die Pad"

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefin06 View Post
    Forsure

But I believe the OP is a bit scared of the crank issue on the diesels...
    Disco Youngster

"Grond Pad al die Pad"

Get a TD5 D2 auto with low range and coil suspension. AC will work and conversaton is easy at highwy speeds. The engine has already proved itself to you.
    1985 Land Rover 110 - 300tdi conversion

It's always more fun on the road less travelled

Td5 D2 Auto not an option really - I tow an offroad caravan so 90kw behind an autobox won't cut the cheese..... I had one previously and I know how slow they can go! Besides which, when those boxes get long in the tooth they get tired, very slippery and gobble up the power. When that happens even a recon isn't an assurance of happiness again, I've driven a few that could hardly scare the dust of the road on acceleration..... My Defender is a Td5 with a manual box, and Sir Lowry's Pass = 40km/hr with the van on the back - trucks pass me in a plume of diesel smoke, so I'm about done with the Td5. Not keen to chip it either, last one I did was more powerful, but the consumption was much worse and the EGT went skyward on any strain, which meant I had to back off the throttle....which more or less put me right back to where I was pre-chipping.

A D3 V6 petrol sounds attractive, pity they only came out in S trim, but maybe that isn't a bad thing......what does the SE and HSE give you extra - a useless GPS and some extra gimmicks, but then I do fancy the leather seats.

Anyone want a (hardly) used Defender.....going cheap!

Forsure

But I believe the OP is a bit scared of the crank issue on the diesels...
    is a V6 not a TDV6 but NOT a 3LTR

Hi Jakalas

The only thing I had to replace on my V6 by its own accord was the left shock air bellow combination. Last year, I drowned it and spent well over 70k to get him back up and running but that was due to my stupidity.. Prior to that I had no problems at all.

Some Stats for you:

Front and Rear Breaks - R1500.00 - Fit them yourself.
    Average service Labour - 4.5 hours @R450.00 around R2025.00
    Engine oil - Around 6 litres so call it ruffly R390.00
    Oil Filter is around R184.00
    Air Filter is around R380.00
    Spark plugs, you need 6 so work on around R780.00 for all of them.

That's a basic service on a V6.

Fuel Economy, I am doing around 13.0 liters per 100km whether it is town or open road.. Don't ask me how this works but it is what it is.. Bear in Mind that I have mud terrains, roof rack fitted and my tent is permanently fitted...

I am currently on 224 thousand kilos and of that I have done around 80 thousand under my ownership.

I absolutely love this vehicle and he has become part of our family after our Namibia trip.. I cannot see myself in any other vehicle, this caters for all of my needs.

Best advise, go for it. If it breaks be innovative, source reconditioned parts, read up and ask for advise.

If you asked me 2 years ago what a viscous fan is I would just look at you funny.. (then driving a D4D Hilux). Today, I can tell you allot about my vehicle and to some degree even fix a few things myself...

Its a Land Rover thing mate.. You going to Love them, or you are going to hate them.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Wow that's almost like my TD5. All the same except the RTT.

That's the thing - both my V8 Land Rover's were easy to work on, parts (engine) everywhere and you don't need (too many) special tools/diagnostic stuff to fix.

I thought the D2 TD5 would be sensible, but having spent R35k on doing the engine this past year, I'm really starting to wonder what the future holds....

Bearing in mind I don't need/want a platkar - wife already has a Polo TSI for that. I WANT A LAND ROVER but I need reliability - fuel is a budget number in my life and I pay private mileage only.

Also the price between V6 and V8 is virtually the same
    Jack

2005 Discovery 3 V8 HSE - 🤩
    2004 Discovery 2 TD5 GS - sold
    1996 Discovery 1 5.7lt Chevrolet 🤤 - sold
    1994 Defender 110 Hardtop 3.9 Auto Conversion - sold 🤑

I think you need a Puma 2.4 or 2.2. Aircon works well, less windnoise etc. than the older Defenders and the 2.2 is even better than the 2.4 when it comes to windnoise (improved door seals at the bottom of the door), comfortable open road cruising with the 6 speed box and it tow's really well. The 2.2 is a bit thirstier than the 2.4. Value will appreciate on the Puma whereas any other vehicle will depreciate, especially a Disco 3. Hope you make the right decision and buy a Puma.😀

onto more practical matters, I have a good home ready for your 110

Suggestion from left field:

If the main issues are noise, leaks etc why not keep the "devil" you know and find a top notch panel beater to take the interior out, check all roof and body joins which can be sika flexed or similar, and apply tons of sound deadening material etc and fit new door rubbers etc after lining doors up as well as possible.

Get A/C serviced / replaced, have a thorough top to bottom service, check all suspension bits and you have a better version of the car you know and love.

I knew a guy in DBN that had his 90 taken part completely and built up as it should have been to start with (with a bit of attention to detail) and resprayed etc.

It was awesome.
    Last edited by Andrew5336; 2017/01/23 at 08:13 AM.
    Andrew

2010 Mazda BT-50 3.0 CRDi