Advice from the Capetonians - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Advice from the Capetonians

Woodstock

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1 View Post
    Ok, been google mapping a bit, what would the travel time be from Milnerton, Parklands, Blouberg to UCT via Myciti?
    Would you consider these areas to be good investment areas?
    Are these areas really holiday type areas?
    No-one yet has an opinion on price and availability of 1 beds close to UCT.
    I wouldn't buy a flat in Parklands/Tableview - too risky. Sunningdale maybe but still some risk.

There's lots of interesting building conversions & apartment block renovations going on in Woodstock where you'll find luxury pads from I reckon R1.2m - R3m.

Woodies is on the up & up for sure. Plus they have a couple of Indy breweries. It's close to UCT

Here's my thoughts you can absolutely get a flat for a million in cape town,(I'll get back to this) i have worked in flats all over the city bowl and southern suburbs.

Areas like rondebosch,claremont,bishopscourt,newlands where you looking at are old flats,lots of them are great and nice to rent since they are quite bigger than new devolepments(very rare in those areas).

And flats there are very pricey,due to the location. In cape town especially near the city bowl everything is going to be very expensive.

To get back to the other thing,you can get flats in northern suburbs,new devolepments for under a million,areas like buhrein estate 2 bedroom(very far tho).

Or areas like durbanville and bellvile(blomtuin/chrismar/stellenridge/stellenberg) nice areas to live in,loads of old flats,many of them renovated and really great flats to live in,25km and your in the city bowl.

NOW..this flat is for your daughters studies right,more so than your holiday stayout? Then northern suburbs is out of the question if she studies at UCT,for someone who has a job in the citybowl it makes sense, not for a student,they need to be close to campus.

Best option when studying at uct is too have her rent with someone near rondebosch,claremont,bishopscourt,newlands and loads of students from uct rent there.

Buying a place for an investment or holiday stayout that is a whole different story and you have plenty of options since traveling is not that much of an issue,and you can buy yourself something that is really worth your money.

Just my 2c since i know the areas and renovated flats all over cape town.
    Last edited by Freebird; 2017/01/18 at 02:23 PM.

I found a few interesing articles on urban renewal and gentrification of Cape Town inner city.
    Woodstock is roughly in between CBD & UCT. Both are close.

In terms of a hassle-free lock-up-'n-go scenario, and considering the investment prospects, you will almost certainly be better off being closer to UCT. Just savings in time, and transport costs, will be made up quickly by spending a bit more to be closer to UCT. It is generally a very central area to get all around CT-and airport-, with many good amenities and good transport nodes. I imagine any student will prefer to be closer to UCT, and the general student 'buzz' of the areas like Obs, Rosebank, Little Mowbray, Rondebosch, Newlands, Claremont.

see here for an idea-

https://www.property24.com/apartment...26pt%3d1000000

Good luck with your search.
    "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

- Charles Bukowski

I am from the other side of the Boerewors-curtain ... Northern suburbs. As such many are better placed to give advice than me.

Forgetting address for a second, look at the needs of the student - TRANSPORT ... parking ...

I would NOT go for any option that requires My-Citi or any such transport. Nor is parking at UCT, or Stellenbosch for that matter, practical.

Rather pay a bit more upfront, get her CLOSE to UCT. This certainly will push up the price, but it will also increase the value of your investment.

best of luck finding the balance between budget and practical

[QUOTE=Patrick L;3462774 I imagine any student will prefer to be closer to UCT, and the general student 'buzz' of the areas like Obs, Rosebank, Little Mowbray, Rondebosch, Newlands, Claremont.
    [/QUOTE]

What Patrick says - Rawson Properties are busy building flats all over these areas specifically for the student and retiree market and prices are reasonable by Cape Town standards, below a million for one bedroom. Pinelands is a bit further out (but only five to ten minutes) and not on the UCT Jammie Shuttle route, but you can get a spacious two bedroomed flat there in an older block for around R1 to R1.2 million (we own one and have just had it valued). New flats are also going up all the time in Observatory, Mowbray Main Road and Rondebosch.
    There are also still some bargains to be had in the City Bowl - look at Gardens, and at the CBD, which really buzzes at night. It's a short walk from just about anywhere there to the Michaelis campus, and the Jammie Shuttles (free to students) run constantly to main campus from there. City Bowl/Gardens also has a very high foreign tourist appeal in terms of AirBnB (and the city is currently overrun with foreign tourists, 10-million visitor arrivals at CT International in the past year).
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2017/01/18 at 03:14 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    I wouldn't buy a flat in Parklands/Tableview - too risky. Sunningdale maybe but still some risk.

There's lots of interesting building conversions & apartment block renovations going on in Woodstock where you'll find luxury pads from I reckon R1.2m - R3m.

Woodies is on the up & up for sure. Plus they have a couple of Indy breweries. It's close to UCT
    can you Elaborate on the risk if possible about Tableview

double post...
    Last edited by Patrick L; 2017/01/18 at 03:10 PM.
    "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

- Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Defender110V8 View Post
    I drive through Maitland daily , I dont think you want to move there
    Right, crappy idea, got it.
    4x4 less.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    What Patrick says - Rawson Properties are busy building flats all over these areas specifically for the student and retiree market and prices are reasonable by Cape Town standards, below a million for one bedroom. Pinelands is a bit further out (but only five to ten minutes) and not on the UCT Jammie Shuttle route, but you can get a spacious two bedroomed flat there in an older block for around R1 to R1.2 million (we own one and have just had it valued). New flats are also going up all the time in Observatory, Mowbray Main Road and Rondebosch.
    There are also still some bargains to be had in the City Bowl - look at Gardens, and at the CBD, which really buzzes at night. It's a short walk from just about anywhere there to the Michaelis campus, and the Jammie Shuttles (free to students) run constantly to main campus from there. City Bowl/Gardens also has a very high foreign tourist appeal in terms of AirBnB (and the city is currently overrun with foreign tourists, 10-million visitor arrivals at CT International in the past year).
    You're right, Tony, about CT being overrun by tourists!-and they are generally foreigners, if one discounts the local school-holiday period, when I would think the balance shifts to the generally higher-spending-SA tourist outnumbering foreigners.

But, all things considered, (and despite looking at the somewhat unclear and contradictory figures of arrivals / passenger numbers/ locals/internationals etc. as quoted by you-and by the attached articles-

http://traveller24.news24.com/Explor...-come-20170117

http://traveller24.news24.com/Explor...-2016-20170110

----( bleedin' journalists!-hey?-one even needs to double-check their 'facts 'n figures nowadays!)

-Cape Town is perfectly placed and poised to unleash a few years of incredible development and contingent tourism (which the city fathers well know is the Golden Goose here) increases.

Behind the scenes of the 'glitzy' urban regeneration and upliftment, CT is also very busy ensuring fringe areas/services are developed correctly, and with foresight into future modern housing/urban services/communications/transport requirements.

It is great to see how well things can go when correctly run!

PS-We need a few more dams, please!

- Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Sechaba View Post
    I also see new development for R1m by Remax in Claremont, thats very close to UCT.
    http://www.privateproperty.co.za/for.../claremont/433
    Big bay looking much more holiday and quite far away? But nice.
    4x4 less.

Thanks Roberto,
    Muizenberg looks similar distance from UCT as Milnerton just the opposite direction,
    what is the transport situation to there?
    Is that more holidayish and investment?
    The great thing about Muizenberg and the area of Parklands where the flats are, is that BOTH your neighbours will be tik dealers.

The other perk of Muizenberg, is the weekly burglaries. Your daughter will never arrive at class with an outdated laptop or old car!

Many of your Parklands neighbours are from Nigeria and they provide a whole host of other party chemicals and easy loans. (The area of Parklands/Tableview with houses have significantly less tik dealers, but suffer from pillaging by the folks that need to repay their loans).

Parklands/Tableview traffic during rush-hour to UCT will only take approx 2hrs each way.
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

The trouble with Big Bay and anywhere outside of the Southern Suburbs/CBD is that traffic is a swine in rush hour, and rush hour often lasts for several hours. My daughter is at school in Newlands just below UCT (Westerford) and my son is at UCT, and it literally takes 10 minutes to get to both campuses during rush hour from Little Mowbray. But the return journey, taking the short section of the M3/De Waal Drive, can take up to 30 to 40 minutes, and even ducking and diving through Rondebosch past the Common can take half an hour. The problem getting to UCT from the Northern Suburbs and West Coast areas is that you are part of a huge big traffic funnel trying to squeeze into the CBD and surrounding semi-industrial/commercial suburbs.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Here's my thoughts you can absolutely get a flat for a million in cape town,(I'll get back to this) i have worked in flats all over the city bowl and southern suburbs.

Areas like rondebosch,claremont,bishopscourt,newlands where you looking at are old flats,lots of them are great and nice to rent since they are quite bigger than new devolepments(very rare in those areas).

And flats there are very pricey,due to the location. In cape town especially near the city bowl everything is going to be very expensive.

To get back to the other thing,you can get flats in northern suburbs,new devolepments for under a million,areas like buhrein estate 2 bedroom(very far tho).

Or areas like durbanville and bellvile(blomtuin/chrismar/stellenridge/stellenberg) nice areas to live in,loads of old flats,many of them renovated and really great flats to live in,25km and your in the city bowl.

NOW..this flat is for your daughters studies right,more so than your holiday stayout? Then northern suburbs is out of the question if she studies at UCT,for someone who has a job in the citybowl it makes sense, not for a student,they need to be close to campus.

Best option when studying at uct is too have her rent with someone near rondebosch,claremont,bishopscourt,newlands and loads of students from uct rent there.

Buying a place for an investment or holiday stayout that is a whole different story and you have plenty of options since traveling is not that much of an issue,and you can buy yourself something that is really worth your money.

Just my 2c since i know the areas and renovated flats all over cape town.
    Thanks for the excellent reply Gonzo,

Maybe it will end up being Res for her and a holiday pad somewhere else.
    Great info though.
    4x4 less.

Brian, what are the chances your daughter can study at Stellenbosch University? I agree with everyone regarding Cape Town traffic, it's something you'll never get away with. Stellenbosch on the other hand is less severe, still holidayish and you can practically buy anything without having to travel into Cape Town plus you have the best of both worlds, the mountains and a coast line a stones throw away. I spend about a week in Stellenbosch annually and never have the need to travel into town. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Sechaba View Post
    can you Elaborate on the risk if possible about Tableview
    Too many shady migrants have moved in. I've got friends who lost out investment wise by buying in the wrong block.

Up your budget to R2mil and look in areas like Rondebosch, Rosebank and Kenilworth. Some parts of Wynberg and Mowbray is just scary and I would avoid them. Rosebank is prob the most decent area.

OK, you might have to sell kidney, the first few years to make the payment, but also have a look at the rental income from students once your daughter moves out. Currently, R15k per month for a 2bed flat is not uncommon and increases 10% annually (Hows that for beating inflation! ;-) ). Just make sure you try to let it in December or January.

To the south is Tokia, which is not to bad, but mainly houses and very little in the line of flats.

Towards the CBD is University/Walmer Estate, Woodstock and Observatory.
    Obs is party central and very hippy. Petty crime and burglaries are very high, but otherwise not a terrible place.
    University/Walmer Estate - Fairly safe, but very few flats.
    Woodstock - Here we mean UPPER Woodstock. This area is heavily gentrified. Very yuppy, which means fairly decent nowadays. During the property boom years in the 90s, a 20x (TWENTY fold) return on property investments was not uncommon.

Milnerton and Century City. (Do not confuse this with either Rugby or Brooklyn. Fairly decent neighbourhoods, VERY windy. Prob one of the easiest places from which to get to UCT without being within walking distance. Mostly houses again and beware many flats advertised as in Milnerton are actually in Brooklyn.
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

It'll be perfect for investment but too far for a daily commute. Traffic is brutal.

Brian - go to Propery 24. Then search flats in Woodstock & have a look at a block called Upper Eastside. How does it look?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast