Accommodation road from Chirundu to SLNP

Default Accommodation road from Chirundu to SLNP

Hello,
    first of all, thank you very much for all the information sharing in this forum. For a spanish person like me, trying to do a self drive trip, is very usefull. So, I am very gratefull for the help. Sorry, about my english if something is wrong.

I would like to ask about places where we can spend the night (campsites prefereably) on our trip from Mana Pools to SLNP. We are going to depart from Mucheni in Mana Pools, and have two days(only one night) to arrive to Wildlife camp in Mfuwe. So, we would like to spend one night in any place just crossing the Chirundu border, who allow us to reach Mfuwe in the late afternoon. I think is not neccesary to go via Lusaka, and can avoid the traffic jumps. Myabe better go directly to Chongwe and then to Chipata-Mfuwe. I have seen Pioneer camp, but I think is very close to Lusaka and maybe we can avoid it.

Any advice, much aprecciated.
    Last edited by Baraka; 2017/01/17 at 01:25 PM.

Default Re: Accommodation road from Chirundu to SLNP

Quote Originally Posted by Baraka View Post
    Myabe better go directly to Chongwe and then to Chipata-Mfuwe. I have seen Pioneer camp, but I think is very close to Lusaka and maybe we can avoid it.
    The "road" from Chirundu to Chongwe you are referring to will take you two or three days from Mucheni, depending on how skilled an offroad driver you are. It is the Escarpment Route, and depending on the rains, can be impassable - it is a rough track. Given your time constraints, I would head straight for Lusaka on the main road and overnight at Pioneer Camp, because you are then already north of Lusaka and so will avoid the morning traffic which is hell. It will also give you time to stock up on supplies at one of the excellent supermarkets in Lusaka. If you find that you get through Lusaka fairly early in the day, you can push through to Bridge Camp on the Luangwa River just south of the main road bridge over the river.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2017/01/17 at 05:14 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

If you are starting off in Mana you have to cross the border at Chirundu, then actually only one route is suitable to reach the T4 (great eastern road) to Chipata.
    This route is via Lusaka and the thickest of it.
    Alternatives to Chongwe are dirt roads with travel speeds below 40 kph, so no option.

Pioneers is definitely to close to Lusaka, the next suitable is Luangwa Bridge camp about half-ways to Chipata.

Further on is Mamaruals between Chipata and Mfuwe but only 10 kms out of town and a very long way from Mana.

In any case, looks like a long day with some time-eaters like border crossing (unpredictable) and Lusaka traffic (just calculate 2 hours to get through.
    Albeit new the Kafue to Lusaka section is slow due to traffic and trucks, roadblocks with long queues and closer to the border there are road works which will be ongoing and slow your average.

If travel plans would permit, add a night in there to avoid stressful situations, if you speed, you lose more time in police check points or seed traps and pay up $$$.

Hope this helps - welcome to the forum

P.s. just saw Tony has beaten me to essentials - allow - stocking up is much easier in Chipata as there are very new shopping centres and less hectic than Lusaka

Edit: No fuel or diesel at Chirundu (Zambian side)
    Last edited by Kalahari Safari; 2017/01/17 at 05:26 PM.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Agree totally with Tony. As a matter of fact, I found Pioneers camp very pleasant which I did on my return trip from SL and was easy do-able.
    Good food as well should you not like to cook yourself on arrival. Remember, the border post can take you anything from half an hour, which I have never experienced, to an hour and a half, depending on the situation and traffic. Once I stayed over at Kariba with the impression that it would be much quicker, in my case, although not many vehicles, big mistake. Took me the best part of two and a half hours to cross the border. This was at the time that they just changed from paying with dollars, at the border, to Kwachas.
    Rudy

Thanks a lot, guys!. So, I will spend the night in Pioneer Camp and then I will continue to Wildlife camp. Sadly, I donīt have more days.

Just another question: From Mucheni is better to come back via Marongora and then to Chirundu or maybe it could be better to go close to the Zambezi going past Jecha point?. Some People prefer this second option. I will go in august (still wainting for the Mana Pools park permitts, one week and no response).

Past Jecha Point is the way I'd go. Watch the two sand river crossings but o problem.

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    Past Jecha Point is the way I'd go. Watch the two sand river crossings but o problem.
    Hi Tron
    A couple of questions for you - Did you need permission to drive out via Jecha? And, how long did it take from Nyamepi?
    Thanks

[QUOTE=Itchy Feet;3465879]Hi Tron
    A couple of questions for you

You must inform and book out with the Zimparks officials at Nyamepi and ask for a permit which will assist in case you are stopped along the way. You do travel through a concession area on the way out and also remember that there are anti-poaching activities in the area.

Allow 2 hours for the trip- you will encounter game on the way out. I note that you have Itchy Feet and need to get to SLNP. Enjoy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TRON For This Useful Post: