Bundutec rooftop tent

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Bundutec rooftop tent

Has anyone got experience with the bundutop tent from bundutec looking to buy one

Default Re: Bundutec rooftop tent

Seems to be a great buy. PM Stranger I know he has one
    Alan

Defender on Steroid's (Sadly sold)
    Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
    Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
    Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alan Eveleigh For This Useful Post:

Default Bundutec rooftop tent

I absolutely love my bundutop, pitching up camp literally takes us less than 2min. The mattress is made in heaven, I want to get one for my normal bed too! If I have to nitpick, the only thing I can mention is that the motor/which is slightly loud, but it only lasts for a few seconds... If you can afford it, buy it!

Side note, if you have/need solar panels, install them on the roof of the bundutop. I have a 150watt panel and it works perfectly. You do obviously then need to park in the sun, but the bundutop stays unbelievably cool even in direct sun (be warned you can sleep late in this tent....) We easily took afternoon naps in our tent, standing in the sun and ambient temperature of 40'C a month ago in the baviaans kloof
    Last edited by MrTolbos; 2017/01/18 at 03:13 AM.

I have a bundutop for almost 2 years now. Trumps my previous howling moon on all levels. My wife sets it up in 2 min. Bedding stays inside. Lights always available plus charging for phones. Only mod was a different ladder. Bought a telescopic ladder and added the top bracket as it is easier to handle and has no sharp edges.

Forgot I also have a 150 watt solar panel on top.

We've had a Bundutop tent for about a year now. The following
    observations might help you.
    1. Much more spacious than clam shell type. We had the Hannibal Impi before. No cramped at foot-
    end of bed with Bundutop.
    2. Very quick set-up time
    3. No loose flapping parts like most other RTTs
    4. All-round awning side walls protect from rain
    5. Four openings for hot days and nights and the view
    6. Mattress very good
    7. Reading light not much good for reading because of position in centre of roof, should
    be above head
    8. Make sure your supplier explains carefully how to manually override the switch in case
    of switch failure - which happened to us. This led eventually to me damaging the tent
    quite badly (my mistake though). The tent was sent back to manufacturers whose
    service was top-class - full repair, free of charge.
    Hope this helps
    Regards Peter

8. The Following User Says Thank You to redcliffs For This Useful Post:

When we went to Moremi in Jan 2015 it was wet and muddy. At the time we had a very good RTT being the Myway Serengeti (still regret selling it)

Swambo and I had the set up and take down to a fine art, each knowing which bit to do. Unzip bag, insert lower ladder into upper, flip tent, set ladder, insert steel poles and we were done, clocked at around 2 mins.

However, try that in the wet when it is muddy and slippery and things change drastically if you have to climb on the vehicle to reach.

It was for that reason only that we went for the Bundutop.

We have ours set up so that we can enter from the side via a ladder, also went for the telescopic, or from the spare wheel on the rear using Front runner's strap on steps. As an example, coming back from Kgalagadi just now, we packed up everything except the coffee stuff and tooth brushes in order to get away as soon as possible. from waking up to ablutions to coffee to tent packed was less than 10 mins. We simply climbed out the back onto the spare wheel steps and dropped the tent.

In summary:

pro's

easy set up
    easy take down
    enough height and space
    long enough for us to pack clothes and shoes at the bottom of the bed
    takes all bedding and pillows
    good canvas and has awning
    windows all around fully open, all have mozzie netting
    full length mattress
    12v overhead light
    power point inside tent
    can take 20kg roof load
    less drag on roof than RTT canvass bag
    motor override
    no need to climb on vehicle
    variable ladder options

Con's
    takes up roof rack space.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Thank you everyone that seals it for me Will be ordering one soon

have now ordered Bundutop

Congrats
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5963.jpg 
Views:	2166 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	436720

Camping in a 45km/h wind and tent standing strong!

Been researching all I hear good things about the bundutop. For those who own it, can you mention how much increase in fuel consumption you get plus wind noise given it's not aerodynamic.

You might be pleasantly surprised. Petrol Pajero's are gas guzzlers, but on both of mine I have not noticed a discernible difference in consumption.

My RTT in the canvas bag was worse. Although it did strap down well and the bag was tight fitting, it still managed to suck in air and you could feel the drag at anything over 100 kmh

My set up has airflow over and under the Bundutop and yes, you know it is there but it is by no means bad.

Wind noise, can't say I notice any.
    Last edited by Stranger; 2017/05/22 at 03:21 PM.

BMW R1200R

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Last edited by Bundutrailer; 2017/05/24 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    You might be pleasantly surprised. Petrol Pajero's are gas guzzlers, but on both of mine I have not noticed a discernible difference in consumption.

My RTT in the canvas bag was worse. Although it did strap down well and the bag was tight fitting, it still managed to suck in air and you could feel the drag at anything over 100 kmh

My set up has airflow over and under the Bundutop and yes, you know it is there but it is by no means bad.

Wind noise, can't say I notice any.
    Wow that's interesting, any chance a picture view your airflow set up. And lastly how bad is the center of gravity effects on an off-road with bundutop tent alone?

Mine is loaded on the rails with a roof rack. Loading anything on top, no matter high light will affect your COG and you will need to alter your driving accordingly. This will differ from one vehicle to the next. The Bundutop is however very stable and as long as you secure properly you will have no issues.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Stranger; 2017/05/24 at 09:02 AM.

BMW R1200R

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

I know this may be an odd question - but is the little winch motor designed for daily use ? As in setting up and taking down everyday for an extended 8 month trip ?

also would you risk taking something with motors and string and straps and things for that length of time, or do you keep it simple with a clam?

and finally, Mom and Daughter (7yr old) sleep in the clam, Dad in the ground tent (dog box). For those quick overnight stops, could three people sleep in a bundutop?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Slowones For This Useful Post:

The Bundutop looks like a very nice tent indeed. I have the same query as Slowones and would worry about the complex electrical mechanism compared to a clam-shell, especially after prolonged usage. Does anyone have any knowledge of problems whether first or second hand?
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

The only knowledge I have of problems is that I have see one Bundutop at the factory where they forgot to take off a clip and hit the button, that tore the clip off. The other was on a trailer and the dude came home and told his garden executive to clean inside and out. Again NO clips off when he hit the button, that thing was a right off.

That little motor is strong and robust and we have had occasion of using it more than twice a day.

Room ? it's a standard 1.4 wide like most RTT's and clams. I believe you can get a 1.6 clam or you can ask Bundutec to make a bigger one. I have seen a custom one on top of a caravan.

The clam is simpler and less moving parts for sure, it's just my personal taste not to have the V where my feet are

BMW R1200R

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slowones View Post
    I know this may be an odd question - but is the little winch motor designed for daily use ? As in setting up and taking down everyday for an extended 8 month trip ?

also would you risk taking something with motors and string and straps and things for that length of time, or do you keep it simple with a clam?

and finally, Mom and Daughter (7yr old) sleep in the clam, Dad in the ground tent (dog box). For those quick overnight stops, could three people sleep in a bundutop?
    A couple of years ago I exhibited at the LASport show in Pretoria and these guys were opposite me with one of these goodies. I did not trust this contraption and mentioned to Jenny this thing would not see Sat lunch. They were constantly lifting and lowering it with at most 5 minutes in between cycles and the batteries had to be replaced two or 3 times over the weekend ( 2 X 105Ah in battery box for the show) that was all that went wrong, I recon those winch motors did more cycles on any one of the show days as the unit would do in its life. I had a closer look and I would buy one without thinking twice, decent product made with quality materials and pride in their product.

I was completely wrong in my assumption but you know what they say about assumption..... makes an ass...................
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast