Bundutec rooftop tent - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Bundutec rooftop tent

Hi Guys,
    I've been looking at the Bundutop RTT a bit and wanted to know has anybody put anything else on top of these tents besides a solar panel?
    I would like to fit some surfboards (they are long boards so wont fit in the cab) on top, but I noticed that Bundutec state on their site that the roof is for solar panels and can only hold a load of 25Kgs.
    Considering the winch used in the tent is a 2000lbs winch, I doubt it will have an issue lifting 2 longboards along with a small solar panel? I estimate a combined weight of 40kg with some sort of custom rack ontop of the tent.

I think that the weight is more the lifting capacity of the winch. Im sure that if the surf boards were removed before lifting the top you will be fine. I have a 18kg Solar Panel which lifts fine and is within the stated lifting capacity

Regards
    2015 Discovery 4 30 SDV6 SE
    2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4
    Metalian Off Road Trailer
    Previous
    2010 Discovery 4 30 TDV6 SE
    Discovery 3 V6 S
    Discovery 2 TD5
    Defender 90 TDI
    Defender 110 V8 Hard Top
    Jurgens Xplorer

I would not try to open the Tent with 40KG on top.

Regards
    2015 Discovery 4 30 SDV6 SE
    2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4
    Metalian Off Road Trailer
    Previous
    2010 Discovery 4 30 TDV6 SE
    Discovery 3 V6 S
    Discovery 2 TD5
    Defender 90 TDI
    Defender 110 V8 Hard Top
    Jurgens Xplorer

Thanks Wedwo, yeah maybe I'm getting a bit ambitious with that kind of weight on-top and taking the boards off and then on all the time would be a bit of a pain if we not going to surf at every site we stop at.
    Its a pitty as I really like the Bundutop, but maybe a clam-shell type of design would be better for carrying items on the roof, I see that Quick Pitch make a clam-shell that has a carry rating of 40Kgs ontop of the tent so that might be an option.
    Or maybe I should look at making a vertical board rack to carry the boards next to the tent?
    Either way I have a bit of thinking to do, at least with the lock down I now have the time

Woogs. I had one for a while and was considering the same thing. My idea was to fit a set of roofracks on top and use it for boards and fit the solar panel on a drawer type rail system between the vehicle roof and base of the Bundutec . In terms of the Bundutec, itís the best thing ever. You wonít go wrong.
    2013 VW Caravelle DSG 4 Motion
    2015 Ford Kuga 2.0T AWD

Thanks Chrisr, that's exactly what I have been thinking of now, I could fit the solar panel on a slide underneath the rack that the tent would sit on as there is enough gap between the roof and the rack and then the boards could sit on the tent.
    I could even add space on the slide to hold our camp table.
    Thanks for the input

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3