Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Re: Photos of your Mahindra

Quote Originally Posted by thirdworld View Post
    Thanks, please share when done.

I have had real lengthy (just over an hour) chat with Mike Swann from Nizani regarding the diff locks, very informative.
    Please share... what was the outcome of the chat?

Quote Originally Posted by BDalldorf View Post
    Please share... what was the outcome of the chat?
    I must reiterate that this was a long discussion that Mike will gladly repeat with a lot of technical reasons why, but in short Mike recommended a slip diff, specifically the Detroit Trutrac or Powertrax at the rear end. For the front it will be a 100% mechanical locker, the Assie locker used in conjunction with manual locking hubs. This will be his so called double barrel shotgun. All this made sense, well to me anyway.

I am still busy trying to figure out what Mahindra did to the rear diff of the S10 SUV and how the traction system works. The data that I have dug out so far is unclear. Practically it behaves like an open diff, so I will go with that for now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdworld For This Useful Post:

I must reiterate that this was a long discussion that Mike will gladly repeat with a lot of technical reasons why, but in short Mike recommended a slip diff, specifically the Detroit Trutrac or Powertrax at the rear end. For the front it will be a 100% mechanical locker, the Assie locker used in conjunction with manual locking hubs. This will be his so called double barrel shotgun. All this made sense, well to me anyway.

I am still busy trying to figure out what Mahindra did to the rear diff of the S10 SUV and how the traction system works. The data that I have dug out so far is unclear. Practically it behaves like an open diff, so I will go with that for now.
    Mike is a very cool guy. Had a long chat with him when I was looking at fitting the locker in my Bolero.

The cheapest and easiest locker to fit is the Lokka which for all practical purposes is an Aussie locker. After much homework I decided to put one in the rear of my vehicle. There are a few trade-offs when using this locker that you must be aware of if fitting it in the rear of a vehicle.

Firstly, there will be some slight change in on-road behaviour. In my vehicle there is a very occasional "shimmy" at highway speeds. I must state this is a very slight movement you will feel through the steering and it doesn't upset the handling of the vehicle at all. Some people with SWB vehicles report a more pronounced "shimmy" but it really isn't an issue on a LWB vehicle.

The locker makes a clicking sound when going around corners and can make an almighty bang noise at times. In the roughly two years I have had the locker in my vehicle it has only made the bang noise maybe a dozen times. The first time it happens you catch a real fright but it really isn't an issue. The clicking is only really noticeable when parking the vehicle and with the windows up you can barely hear it.

The good points of this locker are as follows: It replaces the spider gears in your diff thus making the diff stronger. Unlike other lockers there are no switches, vacuum actuators, air pumps, wires, tubes etc to prevent its functioning should damage to any of these parts occur. It is always on whilst allowing slip between the wheels in normal road use(The clicking sound)

On my vehicle it made a huge difference in off-road capability and ability to tackle obstacles at a much lower speed.

Why I didn't put one in the front diff. If you ever plan on doing high speed travel in 4x4 mode then this is not a good choice for a front differential. It has very strong self-centering tendencies and will also dramatically increase your turning circle. In your particular case I would much rather opt for the limited slip differential at the front but that is just my opinion. There are many, many videos and reviews on the web to help you reach a decision.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Koebelwagen For This Useful Post:

Hi All,

I have been a long time lurker on 4x4 community with a lot of good info received on all aspects of camping etc. This is my first post of my recent purchase.

I have a lot planned i.e. suspension, diff locks and manual hubs documenting the whole process with videos showing before and after.
    If you guys can also recommend active clubs to join as I need to get out and make it dirty.
    Nice ride. Baviaanskloof, Tsitsikama and Outeniqua is calling your name. Have fun!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to VaalPens For This Useful Post:

The guys in India are putting the MLD (Mechanical Locking Diff) by Eaton http://www.eaton.in/EatonIN/Products...als/PCT_329342 this is the exact one that is on the Scorpio Pick Up. Really don't know why it doesn't come standard, I think I would go with this option on the rear diff.

Their is no mention of a traction control system as such on the Scorpio in the brochures, etc. Sometimes the way the wheels behave as if brakes are being applied seems like their is one, but I now it has EBD - Electronic Brake Distribution which is a safety feature

Would be very keen to hear how an off road suspension lift of 40mm fares on the Scorpio

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BDalldorf For This Useful Post:

So I had the bumper fitted as well as the towbar, which is a sturdy piece of kit. The rock sliders should be ready next week or the week after, then I need to save up a little more before I can make any more changes.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ernstcomplete For This Useful Post:

Rock sliders installed at last. Next I guess I need to get some good AT tires and that some sort of suspension upgrade might help with all the additional steel that's getting lugged around.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2584.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	478590Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2585.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	478591Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2588.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	478592

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ernstcomplete For This Useful Post:

Very nice looking vehicles guys
    One life Live it

Take The Roads less traveled

Alles in die lewe gebeur met n doel

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haggy4x4Bedinges For This Useful Post:

Name:	89384D0C-4B01-4291-9305-5FD04EC4A133.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	481725

Parked at Ponta Abril

Name:	94DDBEC0-FB1A-4005-B551-7AC6477399EA.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	481726

What Ratchet & Clank looked like back home.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koebelwagen For This Useful Post:

My camping setup. Pick-up tows much better now that the pipe between the intercooler and intake has been replaced

Name:	1523858201761.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	485336
    My Life Loving It

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris G For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ernstcomplete View Post
    So I had the bumper fitted as well as the towbar, which is a sturdy piece of kit. The rock sliders should be ready next week or the week after, then I need to save up a little more before I can make any more changes.

Hi ernstcomplete, do you experience a difference in performance and handling with the new bumpers and rock sliders fitted? Would you recommend upgrading suspension as well to compensate for additional weight?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Ghisallolite For This Useful Post:

Name:	IMG_1597.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	488097Top of Helderberg 4x4 trail. First 4x4 trail outing with new S10. Very happy.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Ghisallolite For This Useful Post:

Name:	IMG_1601.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	488098Helderberg 4x4 trail #2

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Ghisallolite For This Useful Post:

Name:	IMG_1417.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	488099Bontebok National Park... S10 is perfect Mountain Biker vehicle!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Ghisallolite For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ghisallolite View Post
    Hi ernstcomplete, do you experience a difference in performance and handling with the new bumpers and rock sliders fitted? Would you recommend upgrading suspension as well to compensate for additional weight?
    It rides a bit harder with the additional weight, particularly in front. Not too bad, but noticable. It would definitely benefit from a suspension upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghisallolite View Post

Name:	IMG_1597.jpg 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	488097Top of Helderberg 4x4 trail. First 4x4 trail outing with new S10. Very happy.
    Nice. Do you have any vids of your trip on Helderberg? How many obstacles did you have to skip?
    I am thinking of trading my Thar in next year for the S11 but I am a bit worried about the ground clearance and the fact that there is no mechanical diff lock like the Thar has.
    And those steps need to be replaced with rock sliders asap!
    Last edited by Terencej; 2018/05/09 at 09:02 AM.
    1998 Jeep XJ
    2016 Mahindra Thar(sold in 2018)
    https://www.instagram.com/terencejohnstone/

Name:	29063095_10216491215375273_4251684952053121024_n.jpg 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	488149
    1998 Jeep XJ
    2016 Mahindra Thar(sold in 2018)
    https://www.instagram.com/terencejohnstone/

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Terencej For This Useful Post:

Ek het op die Mahindra commander jeep af gekom..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20180528-WA0002.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	490999   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20180528-WA0003.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	491000  
    Team Rockhard
    Hard Core Jeep's

Jeep Wrangler TJ - Hers
    Jeep renegade CJ7 - His
    Jeep Willys CJ2A - Boeta / Daugthers
    Jeep Cherokee KJ - Family

Quote Originally Posted by Terencej View Post
    Nice. Do you have any vids of your trip on Helderberg? How many obstacles did you have to skip?
    I am thinking of trading my Thar in next year for the S11 but I am a bit worried about the ground clearance and the fact that there is no mechanical diff lock like the Thar has.
    And those steps need to be replaced with rock sliders asap!
    I have the s10 and clearance hasn't surprisingly enough been an issue for me (except the front bumper is a bit low) - the articulation has been a bit of a shortfall and yes those irritating side steps!

I would be very keen to hear everyone elses experiences of their Scorpio s10/11 offroad. Please!

Also Terence can you not adjust the torsion bars for improved clearance?
    Last edited by BDalldorf; 2018/06/06 at 04:38 PM.

Saterdag by Groenkloof Natuur Reservaat. Trail was erger as wat ek verwag het. Lelike dongas. Die S10 het gesukkel met amper geen flex, en geen agter locker het nie veel gehelp nie. Clearance voor was ook probleem.

Het side step gebuig en hoek van agter bumper gekraak ��
    Attachment 491418
    Attachment 491417

Better clearance and a locker would have helped.
    Last edited by Raymond; 2018/06/10 at 10:15 PM.
    2012 Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD
    1984 SJ410 - Original
    2007 Bantam

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast