Noob 4x4 enthusiast

Default Noob 4x4 enthusiast

Took over the forensic investigative consultancy that I have been working for for the last 9 years in December 2016.
    Always only had cars before.
    Bought a 2013 Isuzu KB 250 LE 2x4 with the company - great vehicle as a first bakkie, very smooth ride but incredibly unresponsive and with considerable turbo lag.
    Went to PMB over Christmas period and spent a day at Gwahumbe Game Lodge driving out the 2x4 diff lock course and taking in the spectacular views. Absolutely loved the ride and even did some of the level 3 4x4 course - see pics.
    GOT HOOKED. But wanted to be able to do more than just the 2x4 and "easy" or more tame 4x4 trails like Groenkloof, etc.
    Got back and last week Thursday drove straight to Fourways Toyota - could not have chosen a better dealership and got assigned an incredibly effecient salesman.
    Pulled in there on the Thursday and received my new bakkie the following Tuesday.
    Didn't even do a test ride - knew what I wanted. Also didn't test drive any others - the Ranger, etc.
    Got a 2017 Toyota Hilux 2.8 Raider 4x4 MT - what a vehicle! Took the securilid, tow bar, roll bar, bonnet protector and leather seats as extras.
    Have done 400kms and have fallen in love with my new bakkie more with every km spent on the road - maybe it's because it's my first real bakkie (only had the Isuzu for a month or so and she wasn't the most exciting of rides).
    The ride in the Hilux is so smooth - power and torque feels unreal, especially when compared to the Isuzu. Did a trip out to Rustenburg on Friday. I generally like to take it easy on the road and I have my overall average consumption down to 8.6l/100km. I'm sure it will probably settle at around 9.5 or so.
    Getting my leather seats installed on Monday - the rest of the interior looks fantastic to me - barring the odd cheapish looking silver plastic.
    I really like the fish finder's finctionality.
    The only thing I will say is the ride in the Isuzu was more comfortable than the Toyota - the seats just felt more comfortable.
    I love the shape of my Hilux despite what everyone says is a sharp nose, etc.
    Can't wait to do the 4x4 course with Fourways Toyota that I got with the purchase and to get out on all 4's whenever I can.
    Went out and got a snatch rope, tow rope, shackles, bridle, tool kit, learher gloves, a water can, tire repair kit and some other stuff for my recovery kit. Had a medical bag, shovel, 2 way radios, rechargable torch, solar charger, a machete and some other stuff that I added to my 4x4 box of goodies.
    Looking forward to learning a lot here. Please excuse the odd stupid question every now and then.

Default Re: Noob 4x4 enthusiast

Hi Vince

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will learn a lot here and congrats with the new Hilux
    '02 Toyota Prado 3.0 td VX, SAC intercooler, Kumho KL78 A/T's. DIY roofrack and rack system.
    "Good judgement come from experience, experience come from bad judgement"