Buying a 4x2 or 4x4 ---Please help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Buying a 4x2 or 4x4 ---Please help

HI I currently have a 7 seater wagon (Nissan Grand livina) and would like to trade it in for a 4x4 or 4x2 ,but I need some assistance. This vehicle is only used to drop the kids off at school etc. and holidays. I donít do any extreme off-roading but recently went to the Kruger and realized I want a hardy 7 seater vehicle.

My current choice are the Ford Everest 4x2 3l or Sante fe 4x4,I will look at a Fortuner but I cannot afford one with low mileage.

I really want to do a Mozambique Ponto trip in December and just need to know which of the 2 would be better.

All the input will be welcome.

Default Re: Buying a 4x2 or 4x4 ---Please help

Get a 4x4; it just opens up so many new travel possibilities even if you don't want to go hardcore off road. Think Sani Pass, sandy tracks in the Kgalagadi, etc. I really wouldn't do Ponta in a 4x2... And AWD with good clearance is better than 4x2 with diff lock in thick sand. But a proper 4x4 like the 4x4 Everest 3.0 or similar would be the best of all worlds.
    Last edited by Jens78; 2017/01/10 at 03:50 PM.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jens78 For This Useful Post:

It's up to you. Decide whether you are going to need 4x4, or not. If not, then don't get it - it would be a lousy extra R20 000-R40 000 to spend. For myself - I have a tendency to take unplanned detours on every trip, so I would never consider to go without 4x4!

Unfortunately I have not driven either of your choices, so I cannot comment there.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SuzukiPiet For This Useful Post:

You won't be able to do Ponta in a 4x2. Sorry.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    You won't be able to do Ponta in a 4x2. Sorry.
    Quite doable in a RWD, my mate has done it lots and lots of times in his 3.2 Hardbody donkey, has got stuck a few times but I agree a 4x4 is a safer bet and opens up lots of places.....besides you won't even have to deflate
    FJC - Just Cruising

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:

Also look at the Pajero Sport. It will be more comfortable on the road due to coil springs at the rear vs the leaf springs on the Everest.
    Pajero Sport 3.2 donkey with some Stofpad protection and a software upgrade

11. The Following User Says Thank You to swimma For This Useful Post:

Thanks Guys , just a question can the Hyundai Sante fe 4x4 do it,it doesn't have much ground clearance as apposed to the Everest 4x2 and it looks like a city slicker 4x4.

This is the full list of cars on my radar:
    Chev Captiva 4x4
    Hyundai Sante Fe 4x4
    Ford Everest 4x2 or 4x4
    Toyota Fortuner 4x2
    Mitsubishi Pajero

Also is there anything I should look out for when buying a second hand 4x4:
    Mileage
    Age (I'm looking from 2009 +)

Quote Originally Posted by vpower View Post
    Thanks Guys , just a question can the Hyundai Sante fe 4x4 do it,it doesn't have much ground clearance as apposed to the Everest 4x2 and it looks like a city slicker 4x4.

This is the full list of cars on my radar:
    Chev Captiva 4x4
    Hyundai Sante Fe 4x4
    Ford Everest 4x2 or 4x4
    Toyota Fortuner 4x2
    Mitsubishi Pajero

Also is there anything I should look out for when buying a second hand 4x4:
    Mileage
    Age (I'm looking from 2009 +)
    The advice on a 4x4 forum will always steer you towards a proper 4x4 with low range, even though it comes at a price premium... There are various tales of woe with regard to low-clearance city slicker 4x4's in the wilderness, especially Mozambique. In short, the Captiva and Santa Fť will be perfect for Kruger, main gravel roads in Namibia and the main roads of the Kgalagadi, but not much more. If you look forward to many family adventures with the least of worries, stick to Everest 4x4, Fortuner 4x4, Pajero, Pathfinder 4x4 of Prado. Mileage isn't necessarily the main issue; service history and past operating conditions are key. It will cost you a few bucks, but get the one you're really interested in to a reputable 4x4 mechanic for a proper checkup.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jens78 For This Useful Post:

Thanks thats exactly what advice i am looking for as i have also hear alot of tales. So I will continue looking for a proper 4x4.

Look for reenen on here and see his posts about affordable 4x4 options.
    You can get a reliable no-fuss 4x4 for under R100k that will serve you for a decade or more if you do your homework on it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rustie For This Useful Post:

Thanks thats exactly what advice i am looking for as i have also hear alot of tales. So I will continue looking for a proper 4x4.
    Be patient and do your homework properly; you'll find the right vehicle within budget eventually. And ask away in the respective sections with whatever you're looking at!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jens78 For This Useful Post:

IMO, a 4X4 is not just for serious off roading. 4x4 gives far better traction on gravel roads as well. So you will find yourself looking to travel more gravel road alternatives.
    Pajero GLS Exceed 2014 LWB &
    Jeep Cherokee 2001 2.5 Diesel, Gone to Jeep Heaven
    Toyota Hilux, plaas bakkie
    Platkar Swambo's MB

21. The Following User Says Thank You to stevan For This Useful Post:

I always believe I should not use 100% of the vehicle, tyres capacities. This is why I suggest 4x4 even if not going hardcore offroad trails.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sed For This Useful Post:

My 2 cents worth based on personal experience:

1.) Clearly understand that there exist a vast difference between a trip where you may need 4 x 4, and a pukka 4 x 4 excursion (a travelling holiday to Botswana / Moz vs. doing van Zyl's Pass),

2.) Reading between the lines - you have your heart set on a 4 x 4, and rightfully so. Keep in mind ( again - my opinion ) that a hardy 4 x 2 with good ground clearance, diff-lock and all terrain tyres (think Fortuner and most doublecabs) will go further off-road than most soft-roaders i.e. Outlander / RAV 4 / all the Korean brands, etc.,

3.) Do not spend on a vehicle just because it is packed with accessories from the previous owner, in 95% of all instances you will be well-served with anything that has:

* Ground clearance around 220 mm,
    * Low -range,
    * Decent tires,
    * These days - a diesel motor that can from time-to-time drink 500 ppm.

4.) Your basic requirements, just a good toolkit & first aid kit, Tracks for Africa on the GPS, and in my opinion rent a satphone when you are going to be out of cell coverage North of our borders. Other than that pack good company, music and a sense of adventure.

The only accessory I would fit is good spotlights - no matter how well you plan, sooner or later you are going to be on a potholed road full of animals after dark.

I therefore suggest your default search setting should be a proper 4 x 4 and work from there.

Enjoy the process, take your time, seek advice and advise on the outcome. Good Luck!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

Any reviews on the land rover discovery?

Look in the Land Rover section; within your budget, I don't think this will be your best bet in the long run, sorry... No disrespect to anyone, but for your purposes I would stick to a well cared-for, proper 4x4 of Japanese origin.
    Last edited by Jens78; 2017/01/12 at 09:34 AM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Jens78 For This Useful Post:

4x4... All day... Because rather have something that you don't need than need something you don't have.

There are plenty of options too. Even an AWD Subaru Outback could do the job you're looking at it for.
    "I am a hypocrite but i try not to be..."

A D2 TD5 will be perfect yes.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

We all hate to admit it, but for most people it makes more sense to have a sensible sedan for 95% of your travels and commutes and then rent a 4x4 for the times you will actually need it.

Wanting a 4x4 is a completely different matter and there is nothing wrong with that. Life is not all about saving every last cent. You might as well enjoy life while you can.
    Tyrannosaurus R5 and a second hand British Tata
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    Jan your signature says it all

Smile Re: Buying a 4x2 or 4x4 ---Please help

Quote Originally Posted by JanB View Post
    We all hate to admit it, but for most people it makes more sense to have a sensible sedan for 95% of your travels and commutes and then rent a 4x4 for the times you will actually need it.

Wanting a 4x4 is a completely different matter and there is nothing wrong with that. Life is not all about saving every last cent. You might as well enjoy life while you can.
    I would agree to a point with the above. However I just completed a holiday trip from Ballito - Polokwane - Kruger - Eastern Transvaal - San Lameer and then back home. My steed, a Trailblazer 2.8 LTZ 4 x 4. Quite irrelevant the 4 x 4 (only engaged it on the loose gravel road to Echo Caves ) but very relevant the big tires and long travel suspension. Had I been in my platkar,(a Beemer with runflat low-profiles) I probably would have shipped it home in pieces halfway through the holiday due to the condition of our B-Roads (and this is where the fun lives!).

Point that I want to make is that if carefully chosen your 4 x 4 of choice will double up very well as a daily driver but a sedan will frustrate you when the adventure bug bites, as clearly is the case with the OP.

Very true about WANTING. Understand the difference between WANTS and NEEDS. Wife WANTS new shoes, but what she NEEDS is a good slap. Ok, going in hiding now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast