Roof top tent: Cab or Canopy? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Where did you mount your roof top tent on your D/Cab bakkie?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cab

5 20.83%
  • Canopy

19 79.17%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Roof top tent: Cab or Canopy?

Non taken, also just expressing my opinion.

My setup. So I still get to use 3/4 of the roofrack over the cab.

Name:  20161013_091321.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  89.9 KB

I concur with most of what haboob said. The only advantage I can think of opening over the sides or back is if you have a shower skirt, or room under half of the RTT.

BTW, when placing shoes on the bonnet, one does not hang from the ladder, but simply steps sideways along the bull bar.

I certainly pitied those with long ladders to the ground, many times, especially those on uneven ground, with leveling rocks under one leg of the adder trying to stabilize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Friedland View Post
    My setup. So I still get to use 3/4 of the roofrack over the cab.

Name:  20161013_091321.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  89.9 KB
    Hi, I like your setup. Can you please tell me if you're happy with your rooftop tent, and where is the best place to buy in W cape?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post

BTW, when placing shoes on the bonnet, one does not hang from the ladder, but simply steps sideways along the bull bar.

Mike, like I said, we simply sat in the open doorway when taking off our boots and placed them an arms length below us on the bonnet.

I certainly pitied those with long ladders to the ground, many times, especially those on uneven ground, with leveling rocks under one leg of the adder trying to stabilize it.
    Mike, agree with this as well which is a valid point, as on the bulbar it always fits flush everytime without exception...

I will also concur that the newer clamshell type RTT are far superior to the older type that open outwards to double the size, as they are much easier, but then they also take double the space on your roof. This space on the roof of the clamshell, can however still be utilised to fit fixed solar panels, but again, the gas shocks to assist with opening and closing the clamshell then need to be pressured to assist in this function...
    Last edited by haboob; 2017/07/02 at 10:39 AM.

Mine is on the canopy.

Just my 2c: Keep in mind some vehicles cannot take too much extra weight over the front axle before pushing it over the limit and making the weigh bridge operators rich. I believe landy's and 'cruisers do not fall in this category

Just like every other member of this forum, I believe that my set-up is perfect and that the rest of you have got it wrong.
    Actually, my system is almost identical to Nico Swart's (Post#13), apart from having a clamshell tent, which actually overhangs at the back by about 100 mm. This gives me a 1.2 x 1.2 roof rack on the cab, and this is a proper rack with a fence around it. I like to be able to sling a few bags of wood up there without having to lash them down, which would be mandatory if they were at the tail, with its greater vertical movement.

The tent sits on 90 mm high load bars, which allows me to slide the table in underneath, and also gives just enough space to squeeze our scorpion-proof Crocs into, so we don't have to climb the ladder with bare feet. BTW I have an 80 W solar panel on the RTT, and have not found it necessary to modify the gas struts.

The actual point of this post however, is to say that I think that people, particularly when starting in overlanding, worry far too much about wind resistance. I know I did. It only starts to play a serious role above 100 k/h, and is very serious at 120. But should anyone with a load on his bakkie roof be doing that sort of speed? Particularly after watching those Moose Test videos! You are kitting out your vehicle for ccomfortable camping, not for high speed travel. Just leave an hour earlier on that first days run to the Botswana border.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2