Where do I finalize my Carned de Passage ?

Default Where do I finalize my Carnet de Passage ?

Hi all !
    My SA-registered Land Cruiser was stationed in Arusha for just over 1 year and I will take it back to SA starting the trip down south this week. I have a CDP issued by the German ADAC with permission of the AASA (I do reside in Germany). The Carnet states, that it is not valid in SA, but since the car is registered there, I need to have it finalized before I send it back to the German ADAC.
    Can I get the final stamp at the border (most likely I will cross border at Martins Drift) or do I have to wait till Jo'burg and see customs there?
    Don't know if anything similar has been discussed here before; I tried a search, but leaving Germany the day after tomorrow, I don't have the time to go through many threads anymore !

Fips

PS. I don't know if I placed my question in the right section ?!
    Last edited by Fips; 2016/09/27 at 09:07 AM.

Default Re: Where do I finalize my Carned de Passage ?

I would ring ADAC before you leave and talk to them.

I would guess that the reason the carnet is not valid in SA is because the car is SA registered. A carnet is a document allowing you to temporarily import a vehicle into OTHER countries so there is no logic to it applying in the country of registration. the vehicle must be returned to its country of registration for the carnet to be released. You may have to go to a particular customs office in SA. We had to have the car visually inspected at a local office when we got back to the UK. As far as the carnet was concerned it just needed to be stamped out of the previous carnet country (which in your case will probably be Zambia? (it depends where you entered Botswana/Namibia/SA - all of which are part of the same customs union for carnet purposes).

It will all come down to ADACs requirements for discharge so these are the people to ask.

I suspect you won't have a problem but better to get it confirmed before you leave the country.
    Last edited by itchyfeet; 2016/09/26 at 01:43 PM.

Hi Itchyfeet,
    I was in touch with ADAC before the Carnet was issued, but they couldn't give me any advise. They only stated, that I need to have it finally stamped once back in SA.
    I wonder if they will do this at the border post entering SA or if I need to see some customs office back in Joburg where the car is registered in my name as non-resident with a friends adress for registration.
    Zambia iscorrect as the last country exiting.
    Maybe I should contact AA SA once the car is back in the country ?!

Hi Fips.

You have to have the final return form of the carnet completed at a South African Police vehicle registration facility. The same sort of place where a Police Validation/Clearance Certificate is done. Ask your Joburg friends once you get there or ask at the nearest Joburg police station. You then have to forward the completed form to the AASA to have the carnet cancelled and any deposit returned, speak to them if need be. This cannot be done at a border post. You are correct that Zambia is the last country that has to stamp the carnet when leaving.

I hope this will not cause unneccesary alarm but are you sure your carnet has not expired and is still valid after a year? The expiry date is quite prominently displayed.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Where do I finalize my Carnet de Passage ?

Hi Stan,
    thanks very much for your feedback, very helpfull, such as your Blog, which I followed like many others intensively; I was in your achives again for the last few days pinching all information regarding Lake Tanganyika & Zambia. We missed each other in Arusha / Panorama Camp by 2 days last year !
    Looks like I need to go to Langlaagte once back in Joburg; I was there before getting a police clearance.
    With regard to the CDP: I carry the original as well as a follow-up one (hope my bad English is sufficient), both issued by ADAC. I need to have the old one stamped out when leaving Tanzania though; I hope, this doesn't create any problems. I read in a German Overland forum, that this is ok, as long as there is no dead gap in between the two.
    As a little support to this matter I have a document from my doctor here in Germany stating, that I had to return back to Europe unplanned, because I went very sick and was only able to return now after intensive medical treatment. I will report back on this once back in SA end of November.
    I intend to leave Tanzania via Kalambo Falls, which you describe very good in your blog.
    I'll fly to Joburg tomorrow, pick up a friend from St. Francis Bay there to fly to Kilimanjaro Airport (Rwandair) on Sunday.

Regards
    Fips
    Last edited by Fips; 2016/09/27 at 06:54 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fips For This Useful Post:

Hello all,
    once I got back to Johannesburg early December I phoned the AASA at their headoffice in Kyalami to find out from them, where I could have my CDP finally stamped.
    They advised me to go to the next police station. So I did - I went to Honeydew police, where I got, after visual inspection of the VIN, my final stamp. Back in Germany I sent the CDP back to ADAC in Munich, trying to reclaim my bank guarantee back.
    Some 2 weeks later, the ADAC sent me the CDP back demanding that it needs to be finalized by a customs stamp. Searching the internet for customs offices in Johannesburg I always land up on the SARS homepage with no clear info, where I can get my CDP stamped.
    Will be back in SA early March, but don't want to waste days to find the right office; hopefully somebody can guide me to the right place.
    Thank you !!!

There are customs offices at the international airports. Try Lanseria Airport - it sounds like it is close to you or maybe when you depart from Johannesburg.

Thank you 'Wild Life' !
    Yes, Lanseria is just around the corner - I shall go there !