If you think Cooper, think again...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry If you think Cooper, think again...

Reading the thread on the Cooper STmaxx blowouts and other issues I decided to share my experience and views.

I bought 5 Cooper ST maxx tires last year for my 200 Cruiser in preparation for a 4x4 trip that I planned with 4 friends. For the extremely rocky section we all deflated our tires to 1.7/1.8b. As a result the balloon effect of the side walls caused more contact and friction with the rocky terrain and the result was that all 4 tires ended up with an inch wide white ring on the side wall of the tyre. This obviously has created a huge negative on the visual appearance of the tires.
    Two of the other Cruisers with BFG AT tires doing the same route at the same level of tyre pressure had no "damage" and visually had the same appearance as it had prior to the trip.

I was told that the side walls of the Cooper is in fact made of a white rubber/material which is covered by a thin layer of black rubber. This, I was told, was to create the white appearance of the Cooper brand ( and other spec detail) on the side wall. My experience is therefor not unique and will continue to happen.

I do not want to debate or argue the tyre pressure used or terrain that we drove as this was similar for all our vehicles. It was just clear that the BFG were much better constructed to handle the wear and tear under these conditions and come out the other side still looking like a tyre that you would want to be seen driving.

Taking the price you pay into account I just don't believe Cooper is worth the money you pay - certainly not as long as we have BFG around!
    So I have 4 "white wall"(<10 000km) and 1 brand new(spare) Cooper STmaxx tires available to sell to any interested die-hard Cooper fan - for the rest I say think again.......

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stofstreep2 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: If you think Cooper, think again...

What size are the tyres? Can you not turn them around so that the white writing is on the inside?
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

I have Cooper ST Maxx's on Fearless.
    44 000km which included Bridgestone Challenge and a few dozen 4x4 outings.
    No problems...

BUT! I did have a warranty claim on 2 of the tyres (they were the same batch, which was a different batch to the other 3).
    TyreMart & Coopers handled the claim beautifully & the tyres were replaced.

Otherwise NO problems.

I recently did Moegatle at 1.0bar...

Love those tyres Off Road...

Never used coopers, but BFG's sidewalls also cracked up if used at very low pressure for long distances. But have the least side wall punctures of tyres I tried.
    Johan Kriel

Quote Originally Posted by stofstreep2 View Post
    So I have 4 "white wall"(<10 000km) and 1 brand new(spare) Cooper STmaxx tires available to sell to any interested die-hard Cooper fan - for the rest I say think again.......

+1 for sizes...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ozranger For This Useful Post:

Kurt they are 17" for my 200 Cruiser.
    I normally have the whites on the inside and turning them around will certainly get rid of the ragged appearance. The blowouts as reported on the other thread is somewhat of a concern. I have just acquired a Bush Lapa Boskriek and converted the axle and fitted rims that will take 17" tires to enable me to have 2 spare wheels available for both van and car. I have gone for what I believe is the best, and returned to the BFG AT KO2.
    Your suggestion is however very valuable taking into account I have done less than 10 000km with the tires and might have to sweat it out for a while before going with a single brand on all 6 wheels!

Most tyre manufacturers create white-wall writing the same way. This technique is not exclusive to Coopers.

Regarding your comment about tyre failures: blowouts happen for many reasons, 99.9999999999999% of the time that reason sits behind the wheel of the car, and has nothing to do with the tyres. The post you referenced to is no exception.

The Cooper ST Maxx has won the Dakar on several occasions. The very same tyre you buy at a dealer, is the very same tyre that gets abused in hardcore endurance races at speeds above 200 km/h. The MegaWorld rally team (among many others) is currently using the Maxx to compete against dedicated (hugely expensive) racing tyres, and they're winning.

I would be cautious about lambasting a product that has unequivocally proven itself a thousand times over. As mentioned before, most tyres fail (or abnormally wear) due to driver abuse; so when you consider the Maxx's ongoing accolades, it makes it all too easy to point the finger in the other direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe Jeeper View Post

I would be cautious about lambasting a product that has unequivocally proven itself a thousand times over. As mentioned before, most tyres fail (or abnormally wear) due to driver abuse; so when you consider the Maxx's ongoing accolades, it makes it all too easy to point the finger in the other direction.
    I don't think he lambasted the product, he simply relayed his first hand experience & opinion of the product.

MAXXIS use the same white layer design.
    My 764's look pretty bad - because they get used as 4X4 tyres.
    BUT I do not fit tyres to look cool - I fit tyres to work in the conditions I choose. I have wrecked a few tyres over the years - so far the only tyre I did not destroy was the MAXXIS, with white bits sticking out all over the place.
    I will use MAXXIS Muds again!!!
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Disco-Deon For This Useful Post:

Maybe you're right Neil, but the title of this thread (and little red faced emoji) is what the media business calls: sensationalism. And a bit "lambasty".

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Grant Spolander For This Useful Post:

Wannabee It was not my intention to lash out at anyone and if you read the thread carefully you will see that I have given you my experience and subsequent view. Accept it as I do your's..and I have no doubt many will have a different view - which I also accept .

16. The Following User Says Thank You to stofstreep2 For This Useful Post:

My maxxis 762 look like taxi tyres also. No problems other than that. The inside is still black. My dad had stt muds, very soft but they gripped like nothing else I have seen. Good tyre, never let him down.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to sweeper For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe Jeeper View Post
    Maybe you're right Neil, but the title of this thread (and little red faced emoji) is what the media business calls: sensationalism. And a bit "lambasty".
    Don't get me completely wrong. I think BFG are really crap - can I say that?

Cooper make a far better product in my opinion, especially when compared to BFG, for example, in sand.

Coopers have a nice soft compound. They wouldn't even break my mates camera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECdOJBddg5Y

Done 16 trails the Cooper STT Pro's, (same carcase as the Maxx) and I'm a soft tyre bloke for 4x4 trails. I never exceed 0.8 bar, from Sand to Rock and Mud. Thus far I can only say I'm impressed in all conditions, including on-road.
    Patrol TB48
    Patrol TD42T
    Ex-4x4-partners:
    105 Cruiser
    80 Cruiser
    60 Cruiser
    Tdi Defender
    2.8D Hilux

http://4x4africa.co.za/

If you read the Aussie forums, you will also see a lot of complaints on the regular ST delaminating. Seems fairly common on Cooper.

Saying anything negative is like heresy on this forum, so be prepared to be flamed.

I have also seen the damage a grade 3 trail does to BFG ATs, although I had a fairly good innings from my BFGs.

At the end of the day, both Cooper and BFG have their weaknesses and the price is not justified.

I ended up going with Kumho muds and after some severe abuse, they do not have a mark on them and they cost half of Cooper or BFG. I am happy. (They have never got me stuck either)

PS I do not know how your kidneys survived 1.8bar pressure offroad, irrelevant if the tyres coped with it. Anything over 1 bar on the Kumhos, and I would need a kidney belt and a dental appointment.
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

I also have Cooper ST Maxx and the threads around these issues also worry me. But then again I've seen threads for all kinds of tyres and the problems with them whether it be BFG, Maxxis, Goodyear, etc.

The only place that's really damaged my ST Maxx's was Rust de Winter that took out some chunks on all sides - never noticed any white layers though.

I guess you'd just expect that paying R4k for a tyre there wouldn't BE any of these issues.
    2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8l
    3" J-Spec & Bilstein Suspension Lift
    Bilstein Steering Damper
    JKA Front Stubby Bumper
    33" Cooper ST Maxx
    Superchips Flashpaq
    Frontrunner Slimline II Roofrack

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Ghecko For This Useful Post:

I would really appreciate a photo or two of the tyres in question with the ragged appearance plse.
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

Quote Originally Posted by stofstreep2 View Post
    Reading the thread on the Cooper STmaxx blowouts and other issues I decided to share my experience and views.

I bought 5 Cooper ST maxx tires last year for my 200 Cruiser in preparation for a 4x4 trip that I planned with 4 friends. For the extremely rocky section we all deflated our tires to 1.7/1.8b. As a result the balloon effect of the side walls caused more contact and friction with the rocky terrain and the result was that all 4 tires ended up with an inch wide white ring on the side wall of the tyre. This obviously has created a huge negative on the visual appearance of the tires.
    Two of the other Cruisers with BFG AT tires doing the same route at the same level of tyre pressure had no "damage" and visually had the same appearance as it had prior to the trip.

I was told that the side walls of the Cooper is in fact made of a white rubber/material which is covered by a thin layer of black rubber. This, I was told, was to create the white appearance of the Cooper brand ( and other spec detail) on the side wall. My experience is therefor not unique and will continue to happen.

I do not want to debate or argue the tyre pressure used or terrain that we drove as this was similar for all our vehicles. It was just clear that the BFG were much better constructed to handle the wear and tear under these conditions and come out the other side still looking like a tyre that you would want to be seen driving.

Taking the price you pay into account I just don't believe Cooper is worth the money you pay - certainly not as long as we have BFG around!

unfortunately i have the same issue but with BFG on my Jimny and not the coopers. the BFG has the same white "sidewall" actually a thin layer of white in the composition of the Tyre. It really depends on your application and driving.

Just think what your shoes would have looked like if you didn't have a car or coopers
    2012 JK Rubicon (PANDA) ..... because jeep......
    2011 V9X Pathfinder...... because Baby to be onboard

EX 2009 Jimny , tricked to the teeh....

My Bfg ko's has half it's tread left but I have to replace them.
    I think the tyres got their knock in the Kgalagadi.
    We drove the tyres at low pressure for about a week and a half.
    Now all the tyres have cracks where the tread and the sidewall meets.
    I'm going on another trip in July and I can't see how I can justify driving them any longer.
    I have been really busy looking at tyres.
    I have considered going back to 7.50R16C but I get the feeling that I will only make my life more difficult when I have to replace a tyre.
    I'm going to go for a good A/T tyre and not a fashion statement.

Oh and I have a theory about 3 ply sidewalls.
    I have owned Continental, Bridgestone, Cooper A/T and Bfg's.
    Never a sidewall puncture. (Touch wood) And I do drive offroad. I like rocky trails and sand.
    If a kameelthorn tree thorn can go through a Cooper lt tread then nothing is going to stop it going through the sidewall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170108_161512.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	431194   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170108_161448.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	431195  
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast