New Nissan Navara - 1st Hand Impressions Please?? - Page 11

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Default Re: New Nissan Navara - 1st Hand Impressions Please??

Just a question in the dark. I wonder how difficult or easy it is going to be to change the bushes on that 5 link rear suspension. My guess is going to be that if the vehicle is going to be used extensively on dirt roads, the suspension bushes will not see the 100k mark. Ask any defender owner about suspension clunks when those bushes gets worn (been there, done that). Ease and cost of replacement might become an issue at higher mileage. Just thinking out loud.

Groetnis

I recently took ownership of a brand new Navara LE Auto. We drove it down to Stilbaai over the holidays and was really impressed with the ride and comfort of the vehicle. Trip down was rather slow due to the 1600km run-in period but after that cruised in comfort. On my way back on the 5th, with 38-40 degree temps (wind directly from the side) i averaged 12.7km/l (7.87 L/100km) with the cruise control at 125km/h.

I purchased the Navara through Atlantis Nissan in Centurion and was able to negotiate a R95 000 discount on their advertised Retail price.

What I like:
    There is good power and overtaking is easy.
    Ride comfort is super, and it can handle some bends too.
    Seats are really comfortable on the long trip.
    Fuel economy is great for the size of the vehicle.
    The nissan approved tonneau cover has quite a cool function and looks great.
    Great level of Standard Spec compared to others.

What I don't like:
    Radio unit requires you to agree to certain terms every single time that you start the vehicle. I hope that they bring out an update that avoids this annoying feature.
    I also don't like to fact that you have to remove the key from the remote if you want to lock the tailgate - i dont understand why this is not linked to the central locking, but have done some research and noted that the Aussies have a nifty aftermarket kit that is really simple to install and links into existing central locking using the provided keyfob.

I am on 4000km as of today and happy with the purchase.
    Last edited by Dannyver; 2018/01/11 at 04:34 PM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dannyver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyver View Post
    I recently took ownership of a brand new Navara LE Auto. We drove it down to Stilbaai over the holidays and was really impressed with the ride and comfort of the vehicle. Trip down was rather slow due to the 1600km run-in period but after that cruised in comfort. On my way back on the 5th, with 38-40 degree temps (wind directly from the side) i averaged 12.7km/l (7.87 L/100km) with the cruise control at 125km/h.

I purchased the Navara through Atlantis Nissan in Centurion and was able to negotiate a R95 000 discount on their advertised Retail price.

What I like:

What I don't like:
    Radio unit requires you to agree to certain terms every single time that you start the vehicle. I hope that they bring out an update that avoids this annoying feature.
    I also don't like to fact that you have to remove the key from the remote if you want to lock the tailgate - i dont understand why this is not linked to the central locking, but have done some research and noted that the Aussies have a nifty aftermarket kit that is really simple to install and links into existing central locking using the provided keyfob.

My trip computer also shows a fuel consumption between 12 to 13km/l. Realistically, its more like 10 to 10,5km/l. Don't get me wrong, it is still very good, but I cannot understand why Nissan would allow such a huge variance?

I kept myself from sharing the following simply in hope that it will get resolved, but my hope up to now has been in vane.
    Since I took ownership of my new Navara LE Auto in May of this year the car had a small but very persistent oil leak. I traced the origin to the small sump seal. It was back to the dealer a total of 4 times, including my first service (15k).
    On the last attempt the sump was again removed and resealed, but this time the sump was literally smeared so thickly it reminded my of how I used to butter my samies when I was a boy. Needless to say it looks awful although it now appears to have solved the leak.
    I am not at all happy with this and have reported it to as high as the gates of heaven. Will have to see what transpires but it has placed a firm damper on my overall impressions of this vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Munnika View Post
    I kept myself from sharing the following simply in hope that it will get resolved, but my hope up to now has been in vane.
    Since I took ownership of my new Navara LE Auto in May of this year the car had a small but very persistent oil leak. I traced the origin to the small sump seal. It was back to the dealer a total of 4 times, including my first service (15k).
    On the last attempt the sump was again removed and resealed, but this time the sump was literally smeared so thickly it reminded my of how I used to butter my samies when I was a boy. Needless to say it looks awful although it now appears to have solved the leak.
    I am not at all happy with this and have reported it to as high as the gates of heaven. Will have to see what transpires but it has placed a firm damper on my overall impressions of this vehicle.
    That is not great at all.... you will hopefully get a speedy resolve ans action.
    Danny

2018 Nissan Navara 2.3D LE Auto
    2009 BMW R1200 GSA
    2008 Pajero 3.2 Di-D SWB

Keep us posted.

My transfer case was replaced due to oil leak, no questions asked from Nissan SA.

Maybe your dealer is lazy to submit warranty claims?
    Tough times don't last, but tough men do

2019 Ford Everest 3.2 Ltd
    2018 BMW R1200 GSA LC
    2016 Conqueror Companion

not good at all for potential buyers. can you share a photo?
    When nature calls
    Jacques Steyn

2009 Toyota Prado 150 VX (202kw)
    OL Front bumper | Snorkel | OME Suspension

Swambo : 2012 VW Polo 1.4 Comfort line

Ex 2008 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX A/T (199kw) | TD Suspension | Outback Extreme Rear Bumper | Ironman Front Bumper | Air Helpers | Snorkel | FR Roofrack
    Ex 1996 Ssangyong Musso 602EL TD A/T Exec (82kw) |Snorkel | Bilstein B6 | Disco 2 springs | FR Roofrack | ARB Front bumper | Rear Bumper
    Ex 1982 Citroen CX Prestige automatic
    Ex 1976 Citroen GS Club
    Ex 2013 Honda CRV Exec Auto AWD
    Ex 2007 Toyota Auris 2.0 D4D
    Ex 2010 Honda Accord 2.4i Exec Manual (148kw)
    Ex 1997 Isuzu KB280LE TD D/C 2x4
    Ex 1997 Toyota Corolla RSI (121kw)
    Ex 1989 Toyota Corolla GLI TwinCam Exec (98kw)

Quote Originally Posted by AceVentura View Post
    not good at all for potential buyers. can you share a photo?
    Photos as requested. A little worry if mine is the marks on the sump where a little force was clearly used. Just a place where rust is now prone to start.
    Btw, my complaint was sent via email on 17 Nov to the CEO of Nissan SA, the Nissan Call Center and the Dealer Principle (Droomers Nissan, Paarl). Call Center acknowledged receipt but that was the last word. I'll be contacting the DP at Droomers in person tomorrow since he does not seem to bother contacting me.

Sorry guys, that is 17 Jan, not Nov.

Photos as requested. A little worry if mine is the marks on the sump where a little force was clearly used. Just a place where rust is now prone to start.
    Btw, my complaint was sent via email on 17 Nov to the CEO of Nissan SA, the Nissan Call Center and the Dealer Principle (Droomers Nissan, Paarl). Call Center acknowledged receipt but that was the last word. I'll be contacting the DP at Droomers in person tomorrow since he does not seem to bother contacting me.
    Another worry about a job like that, looking at the photos, is that an excess of gasket maker will not only squeeze towards the outside, but in the inside of the sump too. These pieces can then break off and float around, probably getting sucked up against the strainer of the oil pickup.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:

Emails email emails.

Phone Nissan customer care and follow up with an email

Email the dealership, nissan sa and nissan Japan.

Its not acceptable.
    Training: 4x4, bush mechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.
    COMBAT19: Large scale fogging and decontamination of coronaviruses
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

I prefer to get my case on record and then follow up, which I intend doing. If you choose to do it the other way around I'm cool with that too.

Someone probably incorrectly installed/torqued the sump at the factory(or subsequently during one of the attempts to solve the leak) and warped the sump flange. Using ridiculous amounts of sealant is not the answer especially when it's a very new vehicle and the agents are doing the work. It's not rocket science to correctly fit a sump/gasket.

I would recommend asking for a new sump and gasket to be fitted, that is the only logical solution considering what looks to be the issue.

But it must really hurt when you get workmanship like that on a new vehicle by an agent, that's like dodgy backyard mechanic style, calls all other work they do on your vehicle into question. Is there perhaps another Nissan dealer you can take your vehicle to for future warranty work and servicing?
    Last edited by Skylark; 2018/01/21 at 10:43 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Liewe bliksem... I can already see my plea explanation at a murder trial: My Lord, for about 5 min I lost the ability to differentiate between right and wrong...

So all the discussions I could have and those that were possible happened. Nissan SA has technical difficulty with their Customer Care system at the moment, so not much was achieved talking to them.
    DP at Droomers was helpful. Only confirmed that they did exactly as Nissan SA instructed them to do. The sump hammering is apparently necessary to seat the small sump properly, which apparently is basically a cover for the big sump.
    Contamination of oil on the inside of the sump by excessive sealant is possible but highly unlikely.
    The sump is also manufactured using an aluminum base so rust because of the slight surface damage is not an issue.
    I have to now wait and see what Nissan SA is going to do next.
    If this was my brand to protect and hopefully sell lots of, I'm rather certain I would have handled the situation (and unhappy customer) slighly different. Let's see what happens.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Munnika For This Useful Post:

There's no explaining away all that sealant though, no straight sump with new gasket and correct fitment needs all that junk applied. It's a very new vehicle for crying out loud, if it's that hard to make the sump seal now what's it going to be like in 50,000 or 100,000km.

Post Re: New Nissan Navara - 1st Hand Impressions Please??

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyver View Post

What I like:

What I don't like:

So, I have noticed the following on my Navara, some of which at the onset and some more recent:
    1. My steering wheel was not aligned and was tilted to the left - i noticed this on collection have booked for the vehicle for this to be correct.
    2. We drove a short 90km gravel stint in December and a passenger noticed some dust intrusion via the right rear door. It seems that the rubber seals are not sealing properly around the wheel arch. This too will be checked on Monday (29 Jan 2018).
    3. My roof rails are not sitting flush with the roof on the front mounting points and there is a noticeable gap of about 2-3mm between the rubber and the roof. This will no doubt cause some water intrusion and will be looked at as well.

An update on what I dont like about the vehicle:
    1. those silver trim bits, particularly the one surrounding the center console cup holders scratch really easily. I dropped my phone on it the other day and it left a black scratch. I do not take comfort in the longevity of these bits.

Will update after the vehicle returns on Monday.
    Danny

2018 Nissan Navara 2.3D LE Auto
    2009 BMW R1200 GSA
    2008 Pajero 3.2 Di-D SWB

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Dannyver For This Useful Post:

So for those interested I finally have some positive news. Unfortunately NOT as a result of the diligent, pro-customer, resolution offered by customer care or the dealer (who just ignored my repeated pleas for help, both in person and in writing. The customer care consultant finally offered to replace the damaged sump... If I pay for it! So time for plan G or there about. I phoned a friend, who knows a friend (no not the mafia). Head of Customer Care contacted me in person and promised immediate action. A specialist technical advisor was assigned to investigate my case with promises that the damaged sump will be replaced and sealed "properly and professionally".
    Let's see what happens.
    Besides this the Navara is a beaut. Tomorrow morning the Infotainment system gets upgraded with the latest software. Reverse guide lines will be added, radio stations will now show and finally that annoying forced accept of warning message will be a thing of the past.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Munnika For This Useful Post:

Glad to hear it's moving in the right direction!

One great lesson I've learnt recently is to stop avoiding confrontation, amazing things can happen when you confront people head on with issues, not going for it in attack mode but not being skaam to stand up and question dubious service and to most definitely not avoid it completely. Convincing you to avoid confrontation is what service providers typically try achieve by constantly roadblocking you with bs, outright lies etc, stand your ground, make your point repeatedly if necessary and eventually they have to give in to reason. Wisdom dictates though that you don't throw it in their faces when you do finally get the service you deserve, humans are funny creatures, you just have to work with the weirdness

Like this sump issue, on such a new vehicle logic dictates its totally unacceptable. That they must resolve it at their cost is obvious, but not surprisingly they have done their hardest to make you jump through countless hoops, such is life, you just have to carry on fighting the good fight.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Soos gewoonlik, dra my plaaslike Nissan geen kennis van die sagteware opgradering nie.

Net lagwekkend. Sal dit maar in Swakopmund gaan doen.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast