Seascapes aren't easy - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Seascapes aren't easy

I never shoot a new area visited on the first or even second day if staying for some time. I like to see what the light does, how the sun sets and rises and try and get a general "feel" for the area before I try to put that in front of a lens and if it doesn't "feel" right I won't shoot.

Hole in the Wall is one of those "must go to" places I guess for a landscape photographer and when we had the opportunity to go, a few years ago, I couldn't resist. But I hit big divots there and really battled to get a coherent pic of the area as I felt forced to have something to take home.

The ferocity of the sea is what unsettled me I think. The Zululand coast I am used to, having grown up near and next to it. One tends learn the rhythm and timing of the waves and at a glance can see if the sea is unsettled or calm and using the knowledge, know one can stand pants deep in the surf to shoot a seascape, or not when one knows a wave will capsize you and your equipment. But the Wild Coast sea is another animal with me almost losing my camera and tripod twice by, what for me, felt like freak waves.

So here is a pic of that hole, with the one sunset that had a hint of colour in the six days. I lost the raw file due to backup failure as I could perhaps coax some more colour out of this but it is what it is, an exercise in frustration.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    I never shoot a new area visited on the first or even second day if staying for some time. I like to see what the light does, how the sun sets and rises and try and get a general "feel" for the area before I try to put that in front of a lens and if it doesn't "feel" right I won't shoot.

Hole in the Wall is one of those "must go to" places I guess for a landscape photographer and when we had the opportunity to go, a few years ago, I couldn't resist. But I hit big divots there and really battled to get a coherent pic of the area as I felt forced to have something to take home.

The ferocity of the sea is what unsettled me I think. The Zululand coast I am used to, having grown up near and next to it. One tends learn the rhythm and timing of the waves and at a glance can see if the sea is unsettled or calm and using the knowledge, know one can stand pants deep in the surf to shoot a seascape, or not when one knows a wave will capsize you and your equipment. But the Wild Coast sea is another animal with me almost losing my camera and tripod twice by, what for me, felt like freak waves.

So here is a pic of that hole, with the one sunset that had a hint of colour in the six days. I lost the raw file due to backup failure as I could perhaps coax some more colour out of this but it is what it is, an exercise in frustration.
    Pragtige lig, Riaan! Welgedaan!

Wow Riaan, jy werk regtig hard vir daardie foto. Dit is besonders. Dankie

Besonders Riaan!!! Eendag as ek groot is!!! Het jy ook lekker Ngunis op die strand afgeneem? Dit maak nogals vir cool fotos het ek gedink. Wil baie graag weer terug gaan...
    Our Travel and Photography blog- https://twotracks.co.za

The Beast - 2005 Toyota Hilux D/C 4L with freeflow

Daily Drive- Girlfriends Honda Jazz

Thanks Piet and Jds, appreciated.

Gif ek het die Nguni's gesien ja, maar ek het niks foto's van hulle geneem nie.

Some sunrises are prettier than others, light wise. One just never knows when the skies will put on a show like it did this particular morning, best is to be there when and if it happens

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Getting wet is par for the course when shooting very wide angle lenses and getting very low like this to make use of reflection and some wave streaks means on elbows and knees stuff to compose. Helpful if the beach is very flat and the sea calm.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Great shot Riaan!
    Pete

ADVENTURE BEFORE DEMENTIA

2002 Mitsubishi Colt Rodeo 3.0

Getting wet is par for the course...
    I love all these pics... but I feel for that tripod in the saltwater, in my gut, each time a wave comes up... I can't even bring myself to even think of the the rest of the kit...

Briljante foto soos altyd Riaan!!!

Ek wil weer biejtie raad vra - ek het nou die dag by pongola n paar landscapes weer probeer neem, nie laag genoeg of stil genoeg maar dis net my eie skuld (ek moet nog leer om harder te werk vir die soort fotos) .

Ek wil net weet tot op watter groote 'werk' die landscape fotos, voel vir my voor is skerp en in fokus maar dit wat ver is, is nie skerp genoeg nie, joune lyk altyd vir my baie skerper maar op die rekenaar is die grootes dalk die issue?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	try landscape.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	529089

Is daar n landscape foto thread wat ek mis? Moet dalk my post soontoe skuif?

Settings was nikon d610, nikkor 28mm, 1/250 , f7.1, iso 125
    Last edited by Gifmonster; 2019/05/23 at 09:40 AM. Reason: adding camera settings
    Our Travel and Photography blog- https://twotracks.co.za

The Beast - 2005 Toyota Hilux D/C 4L with freeflow

Daily Drive- Girlfriends Honda Jazz

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gifmonster For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by petewill View Post
    Great shot Riaan!
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    I love all these pics... but I feel for that tripod in the saltwater, in my gut, each time a wave comes up... I can't even bring myself to even think of the the rest of the kit...
    Thanks Pete and Marc.

Marc, the Manfrotto's powdercoating has come off on the cast areas but it is fine even after all these years of heavy use. Al it needs is a regular wash and a bit of Q20 now and again, a real pleasure to use equipment that doesn't need to be treated with kid gloves.

My one camera gave up the ghost after one too many dunkings over the years. Luckily I have two spare ones

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gifmonster View Post
    Briljante foto soos altyd Riaan!!!

Ek wil weer biejtie raad vra - ek het nou die dag by pongola n paar landscapes weer probeer neem, nie laag genoeg of stil genoeg maar dis net my eie skuld (ek moet nog leer om harder te werk vir die soort fotos) .

Ek wil net weet tot op watter groote 'werk' die landscape fotos, voel vir my voor is skerp en in fokus maar dit wat ver is, is nie skerp genoeg nie, joune lyk altyd vir my baie skerper maar op die rekenaar is die grootes dalk die issue?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	try landscape.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	529089

Is daar n landscape foto thread wat ek mis? Moet dalk my post soontoe skuif?

Settings was nikon d610, nikkor 28mm, 1/250 , f7.1, iso 125
    Gif jou fokus kan ook 'n probleem wees. Ek sal nuwe "Landscape" thread begin dan kan daar gesels word ook, sal graag wil iets noem oor die pic.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3