Mpayathulwa and Mabuasehube now privatised

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Mpayathulwa and Mabuasehube now privatised

Just TWO of the Kgalagadi campsites on the Botswana side have now been privatised (no longer booked for P30 at National Parks).
    The company taking over these campsites will now charge higher rates (I will let you what these are tomorrow morning).

The company is the Inter Tourism Group in Gaborone.

Any bookings already PAID FOR in full for these campsites for 2017 will be honoured.

More details to follow soon....

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to taraleegoosen For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Mpayathulwa and Mabuasehube now privatised

Is that a good thing or bad thing Tarra? Dont know the places at all.
    Alan

Defender on Steroid's (Sadly sold)
    Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
    Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
    Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

Well Alan, if the new operator scrubs the toilets every now and then, fix the leaky taps, replace the rusted through and collapsed frames in the shower shelters, hammer a few poles back to the A-frames and fix a few broken braai slabs, then it is a good thing.

History, however, have shown that some private operators give a flying fish about repairs and maintenance and is only there to coin the big bucks. So I am not holding my breath too deeply.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2017/01/04 at 03:12 PM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=All -in -one;3447918]Is that a good thing or bad thing Tarra? Dont know the places at all.[/QUOTE

My response would be just another way of milking 4X4 travellers and to get funds to some unnecessary middleman. This is crazy, they (National Parks) are incompetent and this privatisation has been on the go for some time now- Moremi, Khumaga, Nxai, Savuti and Chobe. You will still pay park and vehicle fees to National Parks. The camping will go up to somewhere between PB130 and 160pppn.

From a quick web search, they are a mobile tented safari and tour operator.

How do they get it right to privatise a national park camp site......... just thinking out loud

Lets hope us SADC members at least get to pay in Pula/Rands and not USD or GBP

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RayRay For This Useful Post:

I am gobsmacked
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Here are the new rates for Mpayathulwa and Mabuasehube....

Name:  IMG_20170104_0001.jpg
Views: 6115
Size:  50.5 KB

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to taraleegoosen For This Useful Post:

"Any bookings already PAID FOR in full for these campsites for 2017 will be honoured"

SURE HOPE SO.

I have bookings PAID from June 2017.

Would it maybe get as bad as 3rd Bridge and they put more than one booking on a site ?

But if you think about it most of those sites should be booked up to November 2017.
    So they should really only take over from then ?
    Last edited by imgreg; 2017/01/05 at 08:14 AM.

Hi,
    thank you Tara, for the update.

I am just wondering, if we here in Europe would charge foreigners from other continents seven times the amount that the locals pay. I am wondering and I will get into Botswana Law to figure out, if that is not even illegal. In my perception that is discrimination by a private company towards a certain group of customers. Over here, the EU would not allow such a practice and I am always amazed how in Africa everyone gets through with this.

If that was for entrance fees, that would be different.

For us as a family of four camping one night at Mabuasehube Pan would now be USD 105. That is not reasonable for camping.

We put so much money into Africa and they thank us with scam. Many of the Botswana Parks where supported by EU Money, even the camps where built with our financial support....

Cheers

Christian

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chvogel For This Useful Post:

Mabua is still relatively cheap compare to Mana Pools $230 and $172 per campsite per night.
    +This is special, open camping. If you prefer cheaper then Kalahari and Kruger is an option.

My 2c worth

Quote Originally Posted by chvogel View Post
    H

I am just wondering, if we here in Europe would charge foreigners from other continents seven times the amount that the locals pay. I am wondering and I will get into Botswana Law to figure out, if that is not even illegal. In my perception that is discrimination by a private company towards a certain group of customers. Over here, the EU would not allow such a practice and I am always amazed how in Africa everyone gets through with this.
    Hi Christiaan
    Unfortunately most operators of the privatised campsites have different rates for SADC members and International clients. Xomae, SKL, Bigfoot, Kwalate, InterTourism - all have two sets of rates. It's been that way since the beginning when they took over the campsites.

I refer to a previous post I started where I mentioned seeing a tented camp between Mpaya 1 and 2. My question was; Is this the beginning of the end? Seems I was correct in my assumption. Fortunately I have booked and paid for two trips to Mabua for this year! On a more positive note, my favourite campsite Letsoalaga, still falls under Bots parks. For how long, nobody knows. Regarding the new players, we can only hope and trust that they will not fall in the same trap of raising prices without doing any upkeep. Only time will tell.
    Today well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness
    and every tomorrow a vision of hope.
    Look well therefore, to this day!

Quote Originally Posted by trapsuutjie View Post
    I refer to a previous post I started where I mentioned seeing a tented camp between Mpaya 1 and 2. My question was; Is this the beginning of the end? Seems I was correct in my assumption. Fortunately I have booked and paid for two trips to Mabua for this year! On a more positive note, my favourite campsite Letsoalaga, still falls under Bots parks. For how long, nobody knows. Regarding the new players, we can only hope and trust that they will not fall in the same trap of raising prices without doing any upkeep. Only time will tell.
    and to add, I hope we do not see bad behaviour such as driving on the pans and night driving
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by John Rautenbach View Post
    Mabua is still relatively cheap compare to Mana Pools $230 and $172 per campsite per night.
    +This is special, open camping. If you prefer cheaper then Kalahari and Kruger is an option.

My 2c worth
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ke-amp-Mucheni

Check this Thread Zim pricing for SADC citizens has been reduced.

Come on Christian price differentiation is alive and well in Europe as well, if not the price then the period of validity.

Colosseum ticket: Combo ticket, Colosseum, Roman Forum and Palatine, valid for 2 days.
    Full Ticket: 12.00
    Reduced Ticket: 7.50 (European Union citizen between 18 and 25 years old)
    Free Ticket: 0.00 (children under 18 years of age)
    Museumkaart (59.90): Only Dutch residents can use this card for a full one year after registering it online. To others the card will expire after 31 days. It includes access to The Van Gogh Museum, The Rijksmuseum and some smaller museums. It does not provide you with extra discounts around Amsterdam.

Johan

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JGN For This Useful Post:

Johan,
    you are comparing two different things.

In Europe, some officially operated/owned sights are sponsored to make them more accessible for the broader public. Mostly there are reduced prices for minors or socially disadvantaged or elderly people.

In the Netherlands, if prices are sponsored by the Dutch taxpayer, that makes sense.

Here rates were raised by a private company that was awarded a concession to "sell" the camps. It may well be, that the BW government demands that prices for locals are lower??! But then I don't see any reason, why I have to pay double of what you RSA guys have to pay. And in Kruger, there is no such difference either, is there?

Over here price parameters are valid for every visitor. If you are a minor, you are a minor, no matter where from.

Finally, USD 35 pP for camping is still a rip-off and totally out of proportion!!

Cheers
    Christian

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chvogel For This Useful Post:

[quote=tron;3447942]
    Quote Originally Posted by all -in -one View Post
    is that a good thing or bad thing tarra? Dont know the places at all.[/quote

my response would be just another way of milking 4x4 travellers and to get funds to some unnecessary middleman. This is crazy, they (national parks) are incompetent and this privatisation has been on the go for some time now- moremi, khumaga, nxai, savuti and chobe. You will still pay park and vehicle fees to national parks. The camping will go up to somewhere between pb130 and 160pppn.

agree
    "To look is one thing, to understand what what you see, is something else"

Amarok AUTO 4X4
    Out fitted Offroad Trailer

26. The Following User Says Thank You to XisBo For This Useful Post:

Apparently they are "Your total travel Patner"

You'd think someone could at least spell
    Ford Ranger XLS 4x4 D/C 2.2 Auto, Mazda CX-5 Akera, 2018 Honda Africa Twin DCT, 2019 Trent (Rear Fold Hard Floor Camper).
    Drone Consultant & Pilot Instructor, ex-Nature Site Guide (VPDA)[NQF6]

Post Re: Mpayathulwa and Mabuasehube now privatised

Quote Originally Posted by chvogel View Post
    Johan,
    you are comparing two different things.

In Europe, some officially operated/owned sights are sponsored to make them more accessible for the broader public. Mostly there are reduced prices for minors or socially disadvantaged or elderly people.

In the Netherlands, if prices are sponsored by the Dutch taxpayer, that makes sense.

Here rates were raised by a private company that was awarded a concession to "sell" the camps. It may well be, that the BW government demands that prices for locals are lower??! But then I don't see any reason, why I have to pay double of what you RSA guys have to pay. And in Kruger, there is no such difference either, is there?

Over here price parameters are valid for every visitor. If you are a minor, you are a minor, no matter where from.

Finally, USD 35 pP for camping is still a rip-off and totally out of proportion!!

Cheers
    Christian
    Christian,
    I must agree... $35 per person for international tourists in Mabua with minimum to none facilities is a rip off. Even our fees for South Africans (think P180 per person) is also crazy... By having a look at their website (the new agency) I can just make my own conclusion that this is guy who own a "travel agency" and know someone who know someone in the gov. In SA we call them tenderpreneurs... Just a middleman who will pocket. And also - I would be very careful... imagine arriving at your expensive campsite and there is already people with whom you must share the site with .

And then I must add. In RSA at SANParks international tourists have to pay a much higher conservation fee than us South Africans - but still not that crazy comparing to this what is happening right now in Botswana.

Lesoloago, Monamodi and Khiding will be my future campsites... if I can manage to book it a year in advance.
    Last edited by stefanbotha; 2017/01/05 at 06:20 PM.
    Stefan
    Cape Town
    Toyota Prado

AND YOU CAN EXPECT THIS...............................
    Good afternoon

Please note that your booking for camping at Transfronteir/ Mabuasehube Park for Mabuasehube Pan or Mpayathuthwa or both as per the Department of Wildlife and National Parks booking reference number stated on the subject, has long been over due for payment to confirm your camping as such has been CANCELLED in accordance with the booking conditions of Department of Wildlife and National Parks stated in your reservation confirmation email/booking form. If you are still interested in camping at the mentioned campsites please send us an email stating your reference number to re-instate your booking within seven (7) days to avoid any further inconveniences and NO access to camping at the said campsites on your preferred dates. New camping rates will apply.

If payment has already been processed please send us the Department of Wildlife and National Parks receipt number and advice office of payment so as to allow us to update your booking status.

Please note that as of the 29th December 2016 Inter-Tourism Group (Pty) Ltd is managing Mabuasehube Pan and Mpayathutlwa campsites at Transfronteir/Mabuasehube Park and will be receiving all camping fees for Mabuasehube Pan and Mpayathuthwa campsites. Park entry fees are still collected by the Department of Wildlife and National Parks. Note that this change will not affect any existing valid bookings.

For all your bookings please email [email protected] or [email protected] and [email protected] .

Thank you and compliments for the new season. Should you wish to contact me please do not hesitate to call me on +267 71557665.

Regards

Sean

30. The Following User Says Thank You to imgreg For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast