Mpayathulwa and Mabuasehube now privatised - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Mpayathulwa and Mabuasehube now privatised

I have confirmed with Inter- Tourism that my booking is valid for May 2017. Must say they are very quick to reply.

Then I asked:"I do have a question. Will this go the same way as some campsites in
    > the Moremi where you now HAVE TO share your campsite with people you
    > do not know or want to know?
    > This used to be where I can recharge my batteries without other people
    > in sight for days."

They replied:" We have NO intention of having clients unknown to each other sharing a campsite, it spoils the trip"

There you have it.
    Hilux 3.0 D4D
    Prado 120 V6
    www.optoer.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Peter.Rau View Post
    I have confirmed with Inter- Tourism that my booking is valid for May 2017. Must say they are very quick to reply.

Then I asked:"I do have a question. Will this go the same way as some campsites in
    > the Moremi where you now HAVE TO share your campsite with people you
    > do not know or want to know?
    > This used to be where I can recharge my batteries without other people
    > in sight for days."

They replied:" We have NO intention of having clients unknown to each other sharing a campsite, it spoils the trip"

There you have it.
    And you believed them Just wait, I give you few months and you will get a story like that here in this forum.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by chvogel View Post
    Hi,
    thank you Tara, for the update.

I am just wondering, if we here in Europe would charge foreigners from other continents seven times the amount that the locals pay. I am wondering and I will get into Botswana Law to figure out, if that is not even illegal. In my perception that is discrimination by a private company towards a certain group of customers. Over here, the EU would not allow such a practice and I am always amazed how in Africa everyone gets through with this.

If that was for entrance fees, that would be different.

For us as a family of four camping one night at Mabuasehube Pan would now be USD 105. That is not reasonable for camping.

We put so much money into Africa and they thank us with scam. Many of the Botswana Parks where supported by EU Money, even the camps where built with our financial support....

Cheers

Christian
    Do you really have to remind US we live from EU food stamps. You can make an argument, buy you dont have to remind us every corner this is EU money.

Is this the same EU handout money that goes into Mugaby's Swiss bank account? I wonder how much of this EU money ever reached the parks? Yet they keep on giving 😲🤔

Quote Originally Posted by RayRay View Post
    Is this the same EU handout money that goes into Mugaby's Swiss bank account? I wonder how much of this EU money ever reached the parks? Yet they keep on giving 😲🤔
    As a matter of fact, all camps in the Moemi as well as Khumaga have been upgraded by EU money. Saying this, it included the accommodation of the rangers and staff in all places.
    And "yes" I forgot yo mention a few like Nxai Pan and Ihaha some years earlier.
    Now would that put us in a position to bargain the benefits?

I would say "yes" and "no"
    Yes, if the continuation of operations by the government would have happened together with a freeze of the camping fees, but No when it was bartered as a leverage to make it more attractive to privatisation with the consequent increase (by 200 - 300 percent) on camping fees.

You can make up your own mind which way to look but don't ever think all EU money filters out before reaching the target project.
    EU has a strong presence in Africa but they are failing to analyse the long term need for support and upkeep and pat themselves on the shoulder by having spent the funds on projects until delivery.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

This is ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!

Typical African Mentality. Try and bleed everyone where they can for extra $$$$. It seems all things are heading this way and in the not too distant future all parks etc will be Privatised with clients being forced to pay stupid amounts of money to camp in a place that has no electricity, hot water, clean ablutions or anything. It is absolutely ABSURD!

I think they don't realize by them being greedy they are cutting their market and making things way less affordable and attractive. You hear about André,s story at Dijara and then this at Mabua... It's all heading one way!

Christian, If i was you I would ask a friend, colleague, family member etc to book for you here via SA, that way you have the AMAZING new Fantastic UNBELIEVABLE rate of P180/night... It's not much of an increase from P30.... HAHAHAHHA - Typical Africa.... Bleed everything for what you can!
    2017 Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 Auto

Donlux, do you really consider BWP30 a reasonable price for a nights camping?

Personally I would have set the fee around BWP100 per night for everyone and all the camps, and with the proceeds would have made sure that the litter is collected more regularly. Nothing else needs to change, in my opinion.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

What's done is done. The Mabua fees were to good to last. Who knows, we might be surprised by the new operator and find upgraded facilities at our next visit. In the meantime I will just have to start saving for next year.
    i just had confirmation from Tara that my paid bookings for March and May will be honoured.
    Today well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness
    and every tomorrow a vision of hope.
    Look well therefore, to this day!

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    .......and with the proceeds would have made sure that the litter is collected more regularly. Nothing else needs to change, in my opinion.
    Litter was not a problem in April and also not in December, regularly collected and drums generally empty except the gate camps.

My earlier post was slighty TIC, but on a serious note all aspects listed there does need attention. So I think a lot needs to change. The infrastructure is becoming very tired and needs attention from whoever and whatever the price of camping.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    Donlux, do you really consider BWP30 a reasonable price for a nights camping?

Personally I would have set the fee around BWP100 per night for everyone and all the camps, and with the proceeds would have made sure that the litter is collected more regularly. Nothing else needs to change, in my opinion.
    RobH, I dont to be honest. I know it was EXTREMELY cheap and I will be the first to admit that. What I would LOVE to have seen was for the DWNP to retain the camps and inform all that they need to double the fees to P60... then perhaps the next year go up to P100. This way they can afford to maintain and improve the park. Instead with the private company coming on board I can almost guarantee that DWNP are still receiving their Pittance and the private company will be lining their pockets.

On the fee's side, I think we all agree that P30 was too cheap and we would all be happy to pay more for the beauty of what is Mabua, but to have a one time increase of 600% for one man's greed is disgusting.
    2017 Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 Auto

As Senior Mabua Minister of Facilities let me be the Judge

and remind you of this .........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0130.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	430745
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0131.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	430746
    We also had a long chat with Sean yesterday the minute we got his email.
    It seems we will have no issues with bookings paid for.
    We will not be sharing with strangers -------- or Stranger or Henk's shower under a tree
    Seems like a reasonable guy so maybe lets give them a chance.
    Yes it will now cost more but it will stop those wasted block bookings, how many times do you see empty camps.
    At P30.00 you can book and so what if you do not pitch but at P180 people will think twice.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to imgreg For This Useful Post:

Greg, that toilet looks pristine against the one I used at Leshoalago
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Agreed with what you are saying Donlux, it has always perplexed me why DWNP don't put up their prices yearly.

I also don't get why only two camps are cherry-picked. If I was the new operator I would have insisted on the whole lot, which would have made it far more viable for me, thus enabling me to service the sites better. And it also may have meant the difference between 100 and 180 Pula per night.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Greg, that toilet looks pristine against the one I used at Leshoalago
    Oh dear, we are booked AND paid for 1st June at Lesholoago.
    Also for the 1st time Mypaya 2, normally we are at Mpaya 1.

Take a brush or a spade, all I can say......
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2017/01/07 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by taraleegoosen View Post
    Just TWO of the Kgalagadi campsites on the Botswana side have now been privatised (no longer booked for P30 at National Parks).
    The company taking over these campsites will now charge higher rates (I will let you what these are tomorrow morning).

The company is the Inter Tourism Group in Gaborone.

Any bookings already PAID FOR in full for these campsites for 2017 will be honoured.

More details to follow soon....
    Thank you for the information; we stayed at mabua 3 for a couple of days a few years ago ;visited most of the campsites as well ; had a very good time and saw enough wild life ; best of all was the experience; imoo it is good that someone other than dwnp takes over because the state of maintenance of the campsites were at the time of our visit in dear need of repairs and general cleaning ; since the days that we visited nxai pan , savuti and chobe many years ago the impression has always been the same ; dwnp are useless in their planned maintenance ;they have no pride in the upkeep of the campsites - actually part of the parks - part of their own country heritage ; at mabua and ckgr we had to use our own portable toilete most of the time ; have some nice comic picture of it actually ...but i have allways wondered how does Ian Khama tolerate that sloppy neglect from his own dwnp ? I mean we are talking about Ian Khama !!! ...so at P180 pppn for camping it is very expensive ; but i also believe that we are also paying basically to have the privilege to enter and stay at such a wild place and for the wilderness experience in the whole ;so they the dwnp dont want to see impact of many cars , people etc ; I believe that is part of their policy ; ditto for the ckgr , they have very little to show in terms of basic clean campsite facilities in the ckgr ; but i believe again that first and foremost we are paying for the privilege of visiting such a remote and wild places.
    Last edited by Jayefe; 2017/01/09 at 08:49 AM.

I have gone through your comments and emails, and we appreciate the input. Thanks again Tara for advising them.

I can assure you that currently, compared to all campsites in other national parks in Botswana, these still remain the cheapest.

The issue of structures is noted, please note that we have every intention of upgrading them and keeping them clean, you can hold me personally responsible for that.

I can also assure you that compared to other camps, OUR clients will NOT be sharing a campsite with any stranger. We also urge you to consider using both so as to give us feed back and help us improve our service to you.

Finally we will be putting up a kiosk by the entrance.

Please feel free to email me your comments and suggestions so as to allow us to serve you better. My email address is [email protected]. Your contributions will be considered and highly appreciated
    I look at nature as my heaven, and my intimacy with it is an open secret....

23. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bushluver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PAT n WOLF View Post
    And you believed them Just wait, I give you few months and you will get a story like that here in this forum.
    Take it as a money back quaratee assured by me on behalf of Inter-TourismGroup
    I look at nature as my heaven, and my intimacy with it is an open secret....

Hi Imqreq and Taralee,
    Thanks for this.
    Imqreq please advise if you did receive such a notice and from whom? We're also booked (and paid for) in June.
    Our dates are from 4th .
    We are from George, and would like to talk to you.
    Gerhard
    082 442 0541

On the fees for foreigners.
    I'm actually even worse-off as I am a EU citizen (French) but live and work in SA. Therefore I do not earn Euros. So the USD35 per night is even more of a rip off for me. If I ever were to travel in this region, I would certainly not book if I had to pay the foreigner's rate. I usually make a fuss about it.

On a side note the Kruger has the same type of fees, but I pay the SA rate since I am a (temporary) resident. But when I see "citizen" I know I'm screwed.
    Visa fee to go to Mozambique is the same, I think it was like R1000 or R1500 for me to go there, and have to worry all the way about all the known issues.

current: 02 Jeep Cherokee 2.8 CRD swap, and a camping trailer
    previous: 97 Pajero LWB 3.5 V6, 99 Pathfinder R50 3.3 V6, 98 Defender 90 300 TDi bakkie

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Forest Fab For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast