What can or cannot be taken to Moz?

Default What can or cannot be taken to Moz?

Can I take wood? Or is it easy enough to come by?

Any tax to be paid on fuel?

Meat? Veggies? Canned food?

Where in Moz?
    In the south wood and alcohol is plenty full. I think you are allowed one ltr of spirits per person but no-one checked at Kosi Bay. AFAIK you are not allowed to take beer over but as mentioned it's freely available and no border check. We took all our food with. Third party insurance to be bought at border for R170 if I remember correctly. Up north I haven't been yet.

KUBU 4X4 TRAILER RENTAL
    083 631 6995
    [email protected]
    www.kubu4x4.co.za
    Click here for the latest updates in the Commercial Section
    Jannie Engelbrecht a.k.a. Granlor

as per granlor , wood is plentiful in the south . take the opportunity to purchase where you see the wood is plentiful , as one heads north it becomes scarce , and you sometimes miss out .
    no taxes to be paid on fuel imports , within reason . never had a problem carrying 2 jerry's across goba , kosi or komati .
    veggies and canned goods no probs at all .
    never had a prob with meat either , they seem to be happy if its sealed / packaged .
    third party is also available at outdoor warehouse R150 . add some if towing .
    the local beer is good and plentiful , stop at a HANDLING for beer and Santal juice mmmm .

Quote Originally Posted by thabogrobler View Post
    Can I take wood? Or is it easy enough to come by?

Any tax to be paid on fuel?

Meat? Veggies? Canned food?

I've been to moz only 4 times so far, but I've never had any problems with wood, but it takes a lot of space and weight so I normaly end up taking only a bit for the first day or two and there after buy either "charcoal" or wood, whatever is available. Never struggled to find any though.

I take petrol in Jerry Cans and never had to pay any tax, fuel on the otherside can be realy expensive.

Never had any problems taking in any food, meat, veggies or canned, longest trip was 12 days, got stopped about 30km into Moz, 2 cold cokes and some "christmas" and we were sorted.

I'm not too familiar with all the do's and don'ts, but you might wanna contact some of the more reputable lodges and/or holiday resorts, I'm sure they'll be able to help out.

Hope this helps.....

Regards
    Frans

Quote Originally Posted by granlor View Post
    Where in Moz?
    Macaneta Island - thabogrobler, friends and myself will be heading there over December.
    2005 Pajero 3.2D LWB Auto
    1999 Pajero 3.5V6 LWB Manual - Deceased

there is a tax on fuel being taken in ... not sure what it is tho (17 or 35% seems to come to mind) ... they tapped our jerrycans on the way in and looked irritated when they were empty (dont like komatipoort border!)

cameback with 3 cases of rum though ... (presents) ... packed the inside of the van to look like a bomb has hit it, and customs on sa side just said "eish, you can go now!"
    2008 Jimny (ex SJ)
    ...Extended diff & tcase breathers, dual battery, towbar
    2008 Terios Offroad
    ...nudgebar, spots, runners, dvd

If you take feul, try to pack it away. Only leave one jerry can vissible, and take a slip for about 20 l of feul. The tax on feul is 30%, but if you show them the slip, they will be happy. Over Des the borders is quite busy, so they dont bother to much to do a full search.

Have some cash with you, normaly a R100 Bribe will do the trick.

Enjoy your trip.

Default Mozambiqe crossing

On my trip had 4x 20lt jerry cans petrol on the Land Rover roof and 1x 20lt water inside. Had also an 40lt fridge full of meat (vacuum packed) at Komati I got a tip to stop at the company that sell Third party insurance and ask for help if the Moz officials want to search you. I was helped and was told that the prime target is meat. Petrol is now about R15:00 per lieter. Use only metz to pay for. Have a look http://www.barclays.co.mz/
    For the rates. If you use the runners in Komati do not pay there rate, and make sure you get real money, do not take any notes that is rolled up. They Will cheat you. Do the transaction in the open. If you pay in Rand the rate differs and there is normal no change. Do NOT keep money in one place, split it up and keep the min in the wallet. If you is stoped and ask to pay a fine insist on an official fine and reseat.

What is available on Macaneta island in terms of food/shops/drinks/wood etc.?

Do we have to take everything with, or can we buy some things on the island?

Any suggestions on important or odd things to take along?
    2005 Pajero 3.2D LWB Auto
    1999 Pajero 3.5V6 LWB Manual - Deceased