Suzuki GV 2011 2.4 Water Problem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Suzuki GV 2011 2.4 Water Problem

Hi everyone, I have been a long time lurker on this forum but believe this might be my first post, I am hoping someone else has had the same issue as me and found a solution.

I am currently on holiday and noticed yesterday that there was a lot of water in the rear passenger side footwell of my GV. At first we assumed someone left a water bottle open and it had spilled. I went to a car wash to vacum out as much as possible this morning and it was quite successful, now here comes the catch. This afternoon the water is back!

Info:
    - no driving through deep water recently.
    - no heavy rain.
    - lots of humidity (george) and use of aircon.

Questions:
    - has someone had the same issue?
    - are there any water lines running through this region? Only thing I could think of was the rear wiper water but was able to lift the carpet slightly and didn't see anything.
    - help?

If there is a thread relating to this issue I apologise. Only internet access I have at the moment is my phone and I couldn't come up with anything in my search attempts. Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Default Re: Suzuki GV 2011 2.4 Water Problem

Quote Originally Posted by rvdm1 View Post
    Hi everyone, I have been a long time lurker on this forum but believe this might be my first post, I am hoping someone else has had the same issue as me and found a solution.

I am currently on holiday and noticed yesterday that there was a lot of water in the rear passenger side footwell of my GV. At first we assumed someone left a water bottle open and it had spilled. I went to a car wash to vacum out as much as possible this morning and it was quite successful, now here comes the catch. This afternoon the water is back!

Info:
    - no driving through deep water recently.
    - no heavy rain.
    - lots of humidity (george) and use of aircon.

Questions:
    - has someone had the same issue?
    - are there any water lines running through this region? Only thing I could think of was the rear wiper water but was able to lift the carpet slightly and didn't see anything.
    - help?

If there is a thread relating to this issue I apologise. Only internet access I have at the moment is my phone and I couldn't come up with anything in my search attempts. Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Aircon

The aircon drips on the left side of the vehicle. There might be a leak in the pipe higher up that drips down to the passanger footwell area.
    Sent from my iPhone

Check as well if coolant and or water level of radiator is dropping, if yes it could be the inside radiator and or piping which have developed a leak.

Hi, thanks for the replies. I have considered the above but it is at the rear footwell which is strange. Will try and see if I can find any drippage from the aircon and try to keep an eye on all fluid levels.

Seems Suzuki has a branch here in George. Might have to stop there if I can't find the cause, hopefully before my carpets start to get mouldy.

Most likely the aircon drain is blocked and it's leaking water into the cabin. The reason you see it puddle in the rear footwell is because it's likely the lowest point in the interior, so it ends up there.
    Any decent aircon place should be able to clear the drain for you in a matter of minutes, last time this happened to me they did not even charge me for it.

Less likely but far more serious is a leaking heater core, but you will be able to smell coolant inside the car and the windows will have a greasy film on the inside, as well a dropping coolant level of course.

Rear foot well is strange. Can't understand why the air conditioner would drain so far back. Will try have a look at the GV tomorrow to see if I can see anywhere.

Pics of the area in question?
    2009 Zook Jimny Sport - with too many extras to mention

True fuel consumption is shown as FuellyData+7.4%

Build Thread: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ead?highlight=

So lying awake last night I did some more thinking trying to find a common denominator between the first and second times the water appeared and I came up with one. The car was parked on an incline the second time we noticed it and although we only noticed it later in the day I also parked on an incline the first time.

With this new info I went to check the front passenger footwell this morning. Although for some reason the water did not seap through the carpet at the front meaning it didn't feel wet, some prodding around revealed there was indeed some water under the carpet/insulation.

This leads me to believe it is the aircon drain as I came across multiple instances of this when doing my initial searches but didn't pay too much attention as the front carpet was not wet. Also the first thing mentioned here.

Will be back once I have a difinitive answer and hopefully a solution. Then the massive task of trying to get everything dry while on holiday at the coast.
    Last edited by rvdm1; 2016/12/24 at 08:28 AM.

Ok so I was able to pull the front passenger side carpet and believe I have found the issue. From what I can see the only reasonable area for the water to originate from is where the aircon drain exits the cabin (see photos). It seems to have a foam type gasket which is wet and drips water if I press against it.

I checked that the water drains at the underside of the vehicle when I start it and turn on the aircon and it does, which to me means no blockage. Now the only other thing that I can think of is that the gasket is simply not sealing. What makes it difficult is that I have very limited space in the parking area to work in, only tool I have at my disposal is a gerber multi-tool which houses flat and phillips screwdrivers and pliers. Tried phoning around and could not find a single place in George that could help me before Wednesday.

Only thing I can do now is trying to dry out as much of the water as possible, not use the AC hoping that this will limit the water from seeping through and pray that it doesn't start to stink.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	3378 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	429352Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.2.jpg 
Views:	3095 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	429353

Seems similar to an issue I had with my freelander 2.

There's a detailed post on it somewhere here: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...drain-hose-fix

But you have a GV. My point is is that whilst water still gets out the bottom. It doesn't at the rate it's supposed to.

2 things
    1.The air filter behind the AC needs cleaning. I had multiple jacaranda leaves in here.
    2. Some leaves had gone through the system and were in the drain hose. I pulled it out the floor and vacuumed it. Full of gunk.

It's not a pressure hose so any debris will cause a block coz it can't gravity drain.

Pull it out the floor and clean that pipe is my call. I've done it twice already.

Drying inside is easy on a hot day. I put towels under as well to soak water out. You'll get a damp smell eventually if you leave it.

Jono
    Swambo: 2.0l Tucson Gls (sold)

Glad you finally found the source of the problem

It seems to be a common problem on the GVs. I came across this thread about the issue:

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-...ge=2&_k=6bwhnc

I was able to remove the drain hose on the engine side of the firewall and check for blockages but it was clear. Wasn't able to check from the cabin side but dit stick something in from the engine side and it came out clean so I doubt there are any blockages, just a bad design.

Will attempt one of the fixes in the above thread when back home and come back here with the results.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rvdm1 For This Useful Post:

Gee....the Suzuki leaks are as complex as finding a leak on a house roof. .glad you're sorted....if smell persist mix some vanilla essence with water and wash carpet with that...better vanilla than musky froot smell...

Rvdm1, did you sort out this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Rivar View Post
    Rvdm1, did you sort out this problem?
    I believe that I have. I tore out as much of the foam gasket as I could and then sealed it with silicone. With the limited space available under there it was a messy job, but with some patience I got enough silicone in and around the problem area to give me confidence that it would seal.

Will post pictures tonight but so far so good.

Seem to be having the same problem currently. Also have a wet carpet in the passenger side footwear and been having a wet smell with no rain in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by rvdm1 View Post
    It seems to be a common problem on the GVs. I came across this thread about the issue:

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-...ge=2&_k=6bwhnc

I was able to remove the drain hose on the engine side of the firewall and check for blockages but it was clear. Wasn't able to check from the cabin side but dit stick something in from the engine side and it came out clean so I doubt there are any blockages, just a bad design.

Will attempt one of the fixes in the above thread when back home and come back here with the results.
    This thread is for service manuals..?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenbaas View Post
    This thread is for service manuals..?
    Ok so this is incredibly strange. If I access the link on my phone it directs me to the correct topic, accessing it on the pc yields something completely different.

Were you able to find a fix? So far mine has held up well, haven't had the issue again after going to town with the sealant.

The very messy sealing job:

Name:	20161224_172552.jpg 
Views:	612 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	434283

The end result:

Name:	20161229_122204.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	434284
    Last edited by rvdm1; 2017/02/03 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Slabbert View Post
    Most likely the aircon drain is blocked and it's leaking water into the cabin. The reason you see it puddle in the rear footwell is because it's likely the lowest point in the interior, so it ends up there.
    Any decent aircon place should be able to clear the drain for you in a matter of minutes, last time this happened to me they did not even charge me for it.

Less likely but far more serious is a leaking heater core, but you will be able to smell coolant inside the car and the windows will have a greasy film on the inside, as well a dropping coolant level of course.
    Hi Johan - I have the same problem as the OP. The aircon is leaking water into my left front passenger footwell. Do you remember which aircon place you took your vehicle too?

I took my vehicle to a Suzuki dealer today to see what they would charge to sort out the leaking and they told me to fix an overflow aircon leak, they would need to strip the entire dashboard and the quoted labour cost alone is R12,000... So ANY advice on where I can get a second opinion on how to fix this problem would be very much appreciated!

As an FYI I have a 2012 Grand Vitara 2.4

Quote Originally Posted by Spike4x4 View Post
    Hi Johan - I have the same problem as the OP. The aircon is leaking water into my left front passenger footwell. Do you remember which aircon place you took your vehicle too?

I took my vehicle to a Suzuki dealer today to see what they would charge to sort out the leaking and they told me to fix an overflow aircon leak, they would need to strip the entire dashboard and the quoted labour cost alone is R12,000... So ANY advice on where I can get a second opinion on how to fix this problem would be very much appreciated!

As an FYI I have a 2012 Grand Vitara 2.4
    Johan is not a member of the forum anymore.
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    Johan is not a member of the forum anymore.
    Thanks for the heads up Rebel!

Does anyone else have suggestions where I could go in and around Cape Town to have the leak sorted (silicon sealed or any other method). Im not prepared to pay Suzuki R12,000 for labour to fix a very common problem that seems to be fixable with a little patience, talent and a bit of sealer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast